• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Numistrust question

13 posts in this topic

Are these guys still around? Numistrust.com (on some of their slabs) take you to some foreign language site. A google search suggests they now exist under ntccoin.com

My concern is that I have an old Numistrust 1970-NO S Proof in their holder, and wonder if it is even a proof. I bought it many years ago before some of these 2nd tier TPG's got caught up in substandard and questionable grading.

What should I do with this item?

I honestly don't know what to tell you. If the coin is not a proof, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable selling it on eBay or any other sales venue that required me to represent it as such, so I don't know how to advise you on this front. Do you have any pictures of the coin?

I don't have decent photo equipment. I have no reason to believe it is not a proof, but being in a Numistrust holder makes me wonder. The coin does have flat rims. It does not have deep mirrors however.

They claim that they are fully insured; however, this statement is at best ambiguous as it doesn't precisely state what the insurance is for (i.e. possession of the coins while in grading, or buy backs, etc.). I thought someone alluded somewhere that a buyback was possible; however, I am unaware of anyone who has been through the process with the company, and I wouldn't get my hopes up. If you don't think the coin would cross (in any grade) to PCGS or NGC, I would call NTC directly and speak with them. They have a phone number on their website. I would, however, attempt to cross the coin with the hopes that I would be able to at least recoup part of my money if I thought that there was a chance that the coin is legitimate.

I don't think NGC or PCGS allows NTC crossovers anymore, or am I mistaken? I don't want to crack it out of the holder at this time that's for sure!

I don't think NGC or PCGS allows NTC crossovers anymore, or am I mistaken? I don't want to crack it out of the holder at this time that's for sure!

That's right; I had forgotten about NGC's new policy (i.e. only PCGS coins are accepted for crossover). I think PCGS will still allow them, but I would call PCGS to verify this.

I know that PCGS will allow a cross-over, but I think NGC only allows PCGS crossovers.

You're 100% correct although it is a relatively recent policy. When I was last in the market to do a crossover, they were still allowed.

So really all you have to do is send it to PCGS as a crossover....pay for that, then send the now PCGS slabbed coin to NGC for a cross over and pay for that.....while your at it, send some money my way too, ok? See? No problem...

If NTC is out of business, that's not a loss for the hobby. Those coins should be treated as raw. They are not a second tier TPG (and never were) - they are third world all the way.

In fact, you'd probably be further ahead cracking it out before sending it to PCGS, so as not to bias them against the coin.

As far as I know, NGC will still "cross grade" coins like this, you just have to sign a waiver allowing them to break it out and grade it as raw. That will tell you what you have, if you want to spend about $25 to find out for sure. I did this with a Goodacre Presentation Dollar in an ICG holder last fall. Turned out wonderful for me as it came back NGC MS 68 DPL. =)

Seems a strange coin to be in their holder. Since they're treated as raw coins, anyway, you may as well bust it out and send it to the TPG of your choice as a raw coin. Prepare for some nasty fumes when you do so, however.