• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

American Flag made with Pennies and Dimes

16 posts in this topic

I was inspired by a post of a hotel floor made with pennies. I decided it would be cool to

make a craft project with pennies. I came up with an idea of making an American flag

with pennies and I used the dimes as stars. The flag contains 2622 pennies and 50

dimes. I got 3 $25 boxes of pennies to make the flag. The hardest thing about the

project was finding the bright red lincolns. During the search through 150 rolls, I found 2

dimes, 17 wheat backs (1 of them was from 1910 and the rest were from the 40's and

50's), 7 Canadian cents and 1 panama cent.

How I made it!!

I measured the pennies and decided that I wanted to do 3 rows per strip so I would

need 39 rows. I cut a 3/8" piece of plywood to 26.5" by 48". I used amazing goop

household adhesive to glue every penny down. During the process I learned I could only

glue about 3 rows down at a time or the penny's would move when I pushed them into

place. The process isn't as time consuming as one would think. I could do 3 rows in

about 20 minutes. To make the frame I bought some 3/4" x 3" x 8' oak. I used the table

saw to rip a grove in it so the flag would sit flush with the plywood. I was going to add

glass to the frame but I really didn't like the way it looked so I took the glass back out.

To preserve the pennies I sprayed the whole thing with a clear coat finish (matte finish).

After it dried you could even tell I sprayed it. I did test the clear coat before I sprayed

the whole thing to make sure it wouldn't do something weird. I used (6) metal brackets

to secure the frame to the plywood. I used a 200 lbs bracket to hang the flag on the

wall. The flag is hanging by the plywood back and not the oak frame. I thought the flag

may be too heavy for the frame to support.

So what it cost!!

Plywood......$10

Frame.........$25

Spray...........$5

Adhesive.....$10

Hanger...,....$15

Coins..........$31.22

Total...........$96.22

Overall I am very happy with the flag and I have already started a new bigger flag with an

added twist. I am going to do a 3' by 5' flag but I am going to make the stars out of

each state quarter that the star represents!!

002.jpg

Nice work, Jaime!

I think you should recreate the flag that Betsy Ross made to fly over Ft. McHenry....30'x42'

Chris

That would be over $3800 in pennies, so I am going to need to borrow $3700!! :grin:

So which way to do you think I should incorporate the state quarters.

015.jpg

016.jpg

I don't like the look of the quarter sitting on top of the Lincoln's. What if you painted the plywood a red-brown in the area where each quarter will be placed so it wouldn't stand out as much?

Chris

Or maybe like a checkerboard where the stars (Qtrs) would go. Paint the squares a color u like, then border them with a dark line. The Qtrs would stand out better an then your cents for the stripes again. Just a thought.

Get a real flag, jesso it to the board and add the coins over the top, the blue behind the quarters will make them stand out...or just paint the board flag colors.

Good luck!