• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS Pronged Holder on a Silver Dollar

12 posts in this topic

It appears the the "prongs" do not overlap onto the coin. This does give you a better look at the coin. I like it.

The prongs do indeed overlap the coin, just like NGC's. Its hard to see on this tiny picture of a large coin - but is very noticeable on a smaller coin. The advantage here, however, is that the plastic is clear instead of the white plastic NGC uses. I think I prefer the 4 prong approach of NGC - the coin just doesn't seem as secure with only 3 prongs.

This is a big improvement over PCGS's previous goopy insert that covered a significant portion of the coin. I still prefer NGC's old ring holder, though.

I hope NGC will consider adding clear prongs. I like being able to see the coin's rim.

At the time they came out, NGC said they would not consider clear plastic. The white plastic is apparently their trademark.

At the time they came out, NGC said they would not consider clear plastic. The white plastic is apparently their trademark.

Or because there'd be patent problems with them doing so: D595,924 (you may need to install the AlternaTIFF browser plug-in to see the images).

The use of these is still pretty limited on US coins on the market. They have been being used for quite a while on World Coin submissions.

This little coin is about the size of a US dime. The tabs do obscure the rim and edge, even if they are clear. They are much wider than the NGC tabs, and even though there are only three of them, I would estimate the total real-estate of the rim covered is more than the four NGC tabs.

120499.jpg.e4c18f247971e7f1dbf0575e3c8b752a.jpg

120500.jpg.84d6b9ae884202dac90e0ae06d27d863.jpg

I don't know if there would be patent problems , as far as I know they never made a fuss over NCS using clear prongs. You also have the difference that PCGS uses a prong insert which then fits into an opening in the slab insert while NGC's prongs are an integral part of the slab core itself. It's like Coke and Pepsi, two cola flavored beverages that pretty much use the same basic ingredients but which are two distinctly different products.

I agree that there probably wouldn't be patent problems if the whole, rectangular insert were clear along with its 4 fangs. The problem would probably be if there were an insert like PCGS' within the current white insert. I'm surprised this didn't come up with the hockey puck slabs, since I think that's what NGC did to accommodate them.