• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1971 Lincoln Cent - DDO - Microscope

19 posts in this topic

Well, my 1971 mint set had a little surprise hiding in it. I've read that this type of error is not recognized by all as a true DDO. That article also stated that it is needed to complete a Registry Set. Looks like a Low POP on NGC.

Did this little microscope just pay for itself?

I thought for sure I was going to get a bunch of messages confirming.....In hand I can see doubling on all of IN GOD WE TRUST - LIBERTY - and lines on the date.

Here's the E in WE....how about the T & R in TRUST?

Double Die?

This microscope has been great for blowing up images but when I get too close to surface the LED's kill all of the color.

I just received a new copy stand......macro lens should be here this weekend.

Using Mr. Goodmans research/suggestions, I'm hoping to be able to produce some quality shots soon.

What I see, is die doubling coupled with machine/ejection doubling.

It is quite possible the the doubling is too minor to list for CONECA but a submission to Mike Ellis at CONECA is definitely in order.

Did your scope pay for itself? Possibly!

I was about to set this one aside until I got some encouraging comments here.... and I ran across this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1c-PCGS-MS64-RD-Doubled-Die-Obverse-Lincoln-Cent-/190626676157?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2c623c3dbd

This looks very similiar.

I was about to set this one aside until I got some encouraging comments here.... and I ran across this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1c-PCGS-MS64-RD-Doubled-Die-Obverse-Lincoln-Cent-/190626676157?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2c623c3dbd

This looks very similiar.

Pleas keep in mind that there is more than one DDO 1971 Lincoln but only one Doubled Die Obverse that PCGS will attribute. CONECA lists 4 (DDO-001, DDO-002, DDO-003,DDO-004) but only the DDO-001 qualifies for the Doubled Die Obverse Attribution under coin number 92941 or the FS-101 Attribution under coin number 38007/38008/38009 (BN/RB/RD) DDO-002 qualifies for the FS-102 Attribution under coin number 38004/38005/38006 (BN/RB/RB).

FS-103 and FS-104 are not attributed but would receive a Minor Die Variety designation.

I repeat - your coin exhibits strike doubling. Also known as machine doubling, there is zero premium for this coin.

Your coin does not match any of the four shown - but most importantly, does not match DDO-001.

Thanks Physics-Fan. I've been on Coppercoins looking at the different varieties. The one possibility I'm hoping for - is that my coin is an EDS as under that section on Coppercoins it states -

"Obverse Markers for this die state are not yet known".

"Reverse Markers for this die state are not yet known".

My coin has the same pattern of Die scratches listed in MDS & LDS - NS on Obverse and EW on Reverse with some of them starting to appear heavy around ONE CENT on the reverse. I do have a message in to Coneca as I would like them to rule out EDS as this state is "not yet known" (It's worth $10 to me to have them take a look it)

Thoughts?

Coneca sent me an email today......

"It sure looks like a great DDO to me! Which one? I do not know and cannot tell you for certain from the photo. I can attribute it for you or get it listed and publicized if it is a new one. If you want me to take a closer look, send it to me!"

Mike Ellis

Thanks 19Lyds for the information and pointing me in the right direction.

I'm going to send it in tomorrow just to be sure....one way or the other.

Camera (instead of microscope) pic of my 71 Cent.

Points of interest (to me at least).

In LIBERTY....LI"B" - chopped up ends of E - Top left leg of Y ( light hides doubling).

Date - first 1 - top of 7 - interesting lines throughout.

Second T in TRUST.

Rim size (doubling at 3 o'clock).

Sent it of to Coneca this morning (waste of $10?)

007-3.jpg