• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1881-S Morgan *undergrade shown*

14 posts in this topic

decided to just get this one posted tonight as well. i did post this before on the general board. if you don't already know the grade, feel free to guess. I actually think its almost worthy of an upgrade, but i'll discuss that after i reveal the grade.

the first set of pictures are from NGC, which i personally think is a bad representation of the coin (the color atleast). but maybe its easier to read the surfaces. I included my own pictures below those, which i believe are a better representation of the coin, as hard as that is to believe. the coin is even brighter than my pics, brightest coin i own. looks like bullion.

2555992.jpg

rae1c0.jpg

now these are my pics

huosih.jpg

34rzt3d.jpg

oh8v7q.jpg

2afh301.jpg

ok1hy1.jpg

242sfnd.jpg

b4udqe.jpg

24dgavr.jpg

and now im done buying Morgans for a little while, lol.

Kind of hard to tell from your images, but I'll take a stab at MS65 or better. Strong strike, breast feathers, hair above ear, clean cheek, very few marks. How many lights are you using when you photograph your coins??

Kind of hard to tell from your images, but I'll take a stab at MS65 or better. Strong strike, breast feathers, hair above ear, clean cheek, very few marks. How many lights are you using when you photograph your coins??

i am just using the normal glass lightbulb on the ceiling. one of them. i just shift myself to different angles to get an image. oh, and i'm using the camera on my phone. its 5megapixel, but in order to zoom a little, i lower it to 2 or 3 megapixels. auto lighting on it. i try to get a shot that shows the flaws strongly, then one that shows the colors strongly. Basically just a noob. lol

I'm going to say 64+*. Top end of the grade with exceptional eye appeal.

Can't tell from the photos/lighting how pleasing the rainbow coloring is, but my guess is it looks nicer in hand.....I better stop here before I talk myself into 65.

Personally, i think this coin is undergraded. i think it deserves either a star, or MS65. the reverse looks PL, or atleast semi. oh well. its not like i would re-send it anyway. thanks for the feedback!

talvsm.jpg

One of the reasons I didn't participate in your GTG was because of the photos. I have a hard enough time getting the grade right with good photos, but in this case, I think NGC got it right.

Chris