• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An extremely beautiful shield nickel (large photo - 68K)

15 posts in this topic

That is really a nice proof '83 nickel and a very high grade as well. I have an '83 shield nickel but it is only MS64. Thanks for showing your coin.

That is a fabulous coin! What is the luster like in person? Is it very reflective or is it more subdued? You definitely take excellent pictures! Do you think there are any 1883 proof Liberty nickels? That would make for an exciting year set.

Neil

That's another beautiful Nickel! You know it makes me think, why don't we have intrayear design changes anymore? You know, like there was in the design changes in 1883, or 1916? Seems like that might be fun, like 2 designs, same year. Kinda like if the mint decided to keep minting normal quarters with State quarters, so the normal ones would circulate, and then they wouldn't have to mint 600 million of each design just so the country wouldn't run short of quarters!

Oldtrader - Not mine, but I sure wish it were. This coin was submitted to me for photography services, one of my sideline hobbies that helps finance my obsession for buying coins.

nwcs - The coin has very nice reflective surfaces, even through the toning. The color is well entrenched into the surface of the coin and really adds to the piece. The photo highlights and enhances the toning, it's not quite as apparent looking at the coin itself, mainly because of the flash of the surfaces. I personally think PCGS botched this one, it's PR67...probably one of the finest non-cam proof shield nickels around.

As for having intra-year design changes, that's not nearly as important to me as having coins that have such a heraldic and beautiful design. The design of the shield nickel really comes to life in this coin, much MUCH better than in any example I've seen to date. The highest grade of shield I saw before this one was MS63, a far cry from this piece.

PCGS has been overly cautious lately. I have quite a few coins that are at least 1 grade off. I have attached a scan of my MS64, '83 Shield nickel for your viewing pleasure.

85149-1883Shield.jpg.e5c190e36a0dec4f0d3fa480ddb0c96a.jpg

superb i would like to see this coin in person! wow

sincerely michael

ps you take very good coin photos!! it just hit the new year 2003 happy new year!!!!!!!!!

may all your wishes and dreams come true..........................coin wise.......................lol