• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade 1797 13 stars dime UPDATED WITH GRADE

23 posts in this topic

Oooops..... earlier this week I mentioned this coin and said it was VG8. It had been a while since I seen it and forgot the correct grade apparently. So I would love to hear what you all think it is graded! IT IS GRADED..... NO DETAILS GRADE HERE!

DSC02756.jpg

DSC02757.jpg

thanks

I'd say Fine-12, and that is a DARN NIICE early date circulated dime. I have almost never bought a early coin in that grade, but that one I'd buy in a minute if the price you mentioned earlier was the actual amount paid.

To me, it is VG-8. Had it not been cleaned, it would be a couple of points better.

Thats awesome! Where do you see evidence of cleaning. Just curious. Not trying to spar with you or anything.

Something tells me Mark must have graded this one lol ( Just kidding of course)

Bet you didn't see that coming! Lots of meat on this coin........... I encourage you to put the cert number into NGC's database thing..... There picture doesnt show the small line going through the eagles head

Screenshot2012-01-13at73902PM.png

Very nice for a G6. I don't see any reason why you seemed worried about it crossing in the last thread; I have little doubt that it will cross. I predict an upgrade to VG10 in a PCGS holder (or if you resubmitted it to NGC).

Very nice for a G6. I don't see any reason why you seemed worry about it crossing in the last thread; I have little doubt that it will cross. I predict an upgrade to VG10 in a PCGS holder (or if you resubmitted it to NGC).

Yea because I forgot what it looked like and the grade. Like I said he keeps this coin locked up. You guys should see his "AG3" 1901S Quarter he just got back. Any who I dont think I would even attempt to cross the coin for a while. He is holding for me until after the State show. He wants to show it off one last time. Cant say I blame him :)

BTW thanks for the compliment on the coin

To me, it is VG-8. Had it not been cleaned, it would be a couple of points better.

Thats awesome! Where do you see evidence of cleaning. Just curious. Not trying to spar with you or anything.

It simply is too pale to be original!

Consider what's happened here. Everyone is guessing grades in the 8, 10, 12 range. But NGC saw it in hand and only called it G-6. That strongly suggests a "silent net grade", and "cleaning" seems to be the likely culprit.

Consider what's happened here. Everyone is guessing grades in the 8, 10, 12 range. But NGC saw it in hand and only called it G-6. That strongly suggests a "silent net grade", and "cleaning" seems to be the likely culprit.

I posted a MS65FB Merc a few weeks ago and everybody called it a MS67FB. Stuff happens and in this case I strongly believe the coin hasn't been messed with. Thats like saying the coin in your Avatar was cleaned. Only proof I have is that it is way too old to have any red on it. If it was "silent net graded" it was because of the line through the eagles head.

James,

At first I thought you were simply saying that this coin is not fully original because of the appearance of it being a lighter color. Now it sounds like you think it is actually "Cleaned," meaning that the surfaces have sustained actual damage as a result of abraisve action. I do not see any evidence of this from the limited view that his, and the NGC pictures provide.

This is more likely an under-graded coin. I believe strike was not factored into the grading decision, as is the case with most early US coins graded by NGC after 2008.

In late 2008, NGC started assigning grades to circlated Early US coins based on detail rather than wear vs. luster. The result is some really spectacular coins that are WAY under-graded, compared to their own grading practices from the past. PCGS has not changed their standards in this way.

I would say that the NGC images linked above do make the coin appear more original (in other words, less pale).

Could it be undergraded? Most very definitely, it could be. So far, none of the images is really of sufficient resolution to really decide, and none of us aside from NGC and the owner have had the pleasure of seeing the coin in-hand.

Digressing a bit... does the "grade" matter to me personally? Not on your life. Had the called the coin PO-1, I would still love to own it.

Digressing a bit... does the "grade" matter to me personally? Not on your life. Had the called the coin PO-1, I would still love to own it.

There is something we can both agree on!

I would never denigrate even a half way decent 1797 dime with 13 stars. The coin is simply too rare and not seen that often to do that. I know that first hand. At one time I owned a 1797, 16 star dime. I thought that it would be neat to get a 13 star piece to go with it. I didn’t have much luck at finding one. The 16 star variety is rarely seen; the 13 star variety is almost never seen.

Pale or not, NGC had to see something that brought grade down a few points, aka "silent net grade".

NGC has put out a lot of head-scratcher grades on Early US coins since late 2008. They may not have seen anything wrong with it and called it G6.

I am no expert at this stuff at all. I am more in tune with the toning market, so I really cant say for sure. All I know is every person that seen this dime that day I was there was amazed at how low it was graded. With that said its not going on the market for a very long time. Therefore I am fine with whatever grade they want to give it. To be honest, I thought that it was maybe the "scratch" going through the eagles head until I saw this VG10.

Screenshot2012-01-14at92313PM.png