• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My CAC approved coin is now beanless

52 posts in this topic

Actually, a paper sticker exlaining their opinion is very different than the green or gold stickers, which are intended for public eyes as official pronouncements from CAC.

Additionally, PCGS or NGC explaining to customers, in private, why their coins did not cross, is not the same as attaching an official emblem to another company's product, which would be intended to publicly demean the quality of that company's opinion in the marketplace. That reason, and the fact that unstickered coins have the potential to be re-submitted multiple times by unknowing submitters, could be why CAC doesn't sticker rejected coins.

Are you saying that you don't believe that the customer would remove the fail sticker as soon as they got the coin back? Your point about re-submissions is valid, but my guess is that CAC keeps a database of coins they have already seen and references that list against any new submissions. After all, inconsistency would kill their business model. Do you feel that they should make their C coin data base public just like they do with their green and gold bean coins?

Actually, a paper sticker exlaining their opinion is very different than the green or gold stickers, which are intended for public eyes as official pronouncements from CAC.

Additionally, PCGS or NGC explaining to customers, in private, why their coins did not cross, is not the same as attaching an official emblem to another company's product, which would be intended to publicly demean the quality of that company's opinion in the marketplace. That reason, and the fact that unstickered coins have the potential to be re-submitted multiple times by unknowing submitters, could be why CAC doesn't sticker rejected coins.

Even as such, I don't see a cause of action. Moreover, CAC publicly acknowledges on its website that coins that do not sticker may be properly graded, but at the lower end of the grade of the holder. I see no problem with a fail sticker, except that most customers would remove them anyway so it would be a waste of their time and money to print extra stickers/labels.

Even as such, I don't see a cause of action. Moreover, CAC publicly acknowledges on its website that coins that do not sticker may be properly graded, but at the lower end of the grade of the holder. I see no problem with a fail sticker, except that most customers would remove them anyway so it would be a waste of their time and money to print extra stickers/labels.

Cause of action? (shrug)

I just think it would be a nice feature if they provided public access to an online database of coins that were reviewed and determined to be C coins for the grade.

Are you saying that you don't believe that the customer would remove the fail sticker as soon as they got the coin back? Your point about re-submissions is valid, but my guess is that CAC keeps a database of coins they have already seen and references that list against any new submissions. After all, inconsistency would kill their business model. Do you feel that they should make their C coin data base public just like they do with their green and gold bean coins?

No; they already are; and no.

I said nothing about removing stickers, but I'm sure people would remove C-coin stickers. I imagine these would be shown in their public database, however.

They are already inconsistent.

I do not want them to make their C-coin list public because I don't always agree with them on which coins are C-coins, just as PCGS and NGC do not always agree (Plus coins that won't sticker, etc). CAC is just as inconsistent as NGC and PCGS; they are not always right. The concept of issuing a C-coin sticker was merely a hypothetical situation to demonstrate the hot water I think they could get into if their business model went that extra step. I said the grading services might try to take action against them.

I said nothing about removing stickers, but I'm sure people would remove C-coin stickers. I imagine these would be shown in their public database, however.

I do not want them to make their C-coin list public because I don't always agree with them on which coins are C-coins, just as PCGS and NGC do not always agree (Plus coins that won't sticker, etc). CAC is just as inconsistent as NGC and PCGS; they are not always right. The concept of issuing a C-coin sticker was merely a hypothetical situation to demonstrate the hot water I think they could get into if their business model went that extra step. I said the grading services might try to take action against them.

You would imagine but you would be wrong. You would know that if you actually bothered to visit their website.

Screenshot2012-01-14at102707PM.png

There disclosed reason is stated in the screen shot above. I personally don't think a coin that failed to sticker would automatically be devalued but I understand that disclosing that information might inhibit some from submitting coins to CAC.

Cause of action? (shrug)

Someone (the other coinman1794) made the comment that stickering coins that failed to meet CAC standards would open CAC up to legal action. I'm telling him that I do not agree with his assessment. He also alluded to the removable sticker on your coin as different than a normal "fail" sticker in terms of legal liability, which I do not believe that it is.

Perhaps when CAC does not sticker a coin, they should deface the TPG holder. Make the submitter think twice before sending to CAC.

This is sarcasm of course.

Lehigh96 - I would like to see the rest of that Lafayette

LafayetteDollar1900PCGSMS65Duvall3-.jpg

Very nice

I think CAC should have stickered the coin. The obverse isn't that dark. I like the coin.

P.S. Is this ex Mark Feld?

The lighting is making quite a difference. Refer to the images of the "reject" sticker on the previous page. It looks much darker, at least the top 1/4 of the obverse looks darker.

Rim dings and dark coins. I've heard his before. CAC does not like them.

CAC is not everything or the most important thing. It's just one thing or something. MJ

Very nice

I think CAC should have stickered the coin. The obverse isn't that dark. I like the coin.

P.S. Is this ex Mark Feld?

I bought the coin a few years ago from CRO. I tried to sell it in the October 2011 Pittsburgh Sale, but it failed to meet my reserve.

Lafayette Dollar PCGS MS65 DuVall 3-D

It is currently on consignment with Mark Feld. The photos were taken by Mark Goodman. The coin is incredible in hand, but the obverse is darker than Goodman's photos would indicate, but not as dark as the Heritage photos indicate. I have a feeling that if I were able to use Goodman's photos in the Heritage auction that it would have sold. I was very unhappy with the Heritage photos for this coin.

Rim dings and dark coins. I've heard his before. CAC does not like them.

CAC doesn't like them because most collectors and the marketplace in general doesn't like them. Don't forget that CAC represents dealers that want to buy coins that they can resell.

You would imagine but you would be wrong. You would know that if you actually bothered to visit their website.

Excuse me, but we are talking about a hypothetical, if-then situation. I know CAC does not publish non-stickered coins in their results. The whole point was...what would happen if they did. What I said, and what you misunderstood, was that I imagine they would publish the results, if they were stickering such coins, therefore it would not matter if someone peeled the sticker off. I don't know why you chose to be rude to me, without understanding what I was saying. hm

i see a seller that i am following right now that has about 20 coins for sale, and they are all stunning. what i find curious is, a third of them are CAC'd, a third of them are Star'd or Plus , and the rest are neither. but NONE of them are both.

i just noticed this.

Wow, that is nice!

Looks like Washington and Rand Paul. :D

And on the reverse, Romney on his high horse!

Excuse me, but we are talking about a hypothetical, if-then situation. I know CAC does not publish non-stickered coins in their results. The whole point was...what would happen if they did. What I said, and what you misunderstood, was that I imagine they would publish the results, if they were stickering such coins, therefore it would not matter if someone peeled the sticker off. I don't know why you chose to be rude to me, without understanding what I was saying. hm

A misunderstanding to be sure!

Unlike the grading services, which provide a service to the OWNER of the coin, CAC charges the owner of the coin for allowing THEM to cherry high end coins which their market makers wish to buy and hopefully resell at a premium above the typical specimen of that grade.

If their service was really to the collector, why do they refuse to sticker certain coins? (modern Jeffersons, and Roosevelts, ANY ANACS coin, ANY ICG coin)

Yes, CAC coins generally bring a premium at actions, but so do high-end unstickered coins.

i see a seller that i am following right now that has about 20 coins for sale, and they are all stunning. what i find curious is, a third of them are CAC'd, a third of them are Star'd or Plus , and the rest are neither. but NONE of them are both.

i just noticed this.

Perhaps he felt the ones with + or stars do not need CAC stickers. That's my viewpoint anyway.