• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Rainow Toned Peace Dollar...Please Offer Your Thoughts

18 posts in this topic

One of my collecting goals for the new year was to obtain another nice monster rainbow toned Peace Dollar. I have purchased the following coin (I will be completing the transaction as soon as a proper invoice is sent), and I would like your thoughts. AT, NT, or MA?

P.S. The images are not mine, and obviously I do not have the coin in hand yet.

2-2.jpg

1-2.jpg

3-1.jpg

the coin has the same toning on the obverse and reverse.

i thought i read somewhere here before that that is a red flag.

i honestly have no idea though.

Not necessarily. If the pattern and colors are correct, its perfectly fine to have the same pattern on both sides. It just doesn't happen very often, because of the way holders are usually constructed. Often, one side of the coin is presented while the other side is supported by something. For an example, see my Bust Half below.

That Peace dollar is AT, no question about it in my mind.

JPA918obverse.jpg

JPA918reverse.jpg

Thank you all. I had questioned the color, but wasn't sure and thought that it was worth the shipping both ways to find out. I was smart enough, however, to obtain a solid return privilege so all is well. Thanks again for your helpful advice.

Blues and ambers are the most common colors on 26-S.. I have seen more than several of that year and mint mark with those colors...

With that said, I am not particularly thrilled with the toning progression on it. However like I have said in other threads - toned Peace $ do not tone like other coins so you can pretty much throw out what you know about toning on Morgans for example.

I usually like to ask myself one question "how did this coin tone like this?" And start the investigation from that point. And in this case I would think that if this coin is NT this toning would be from a small paper coin envelope. I dont think it is album toning.

Depending on price, it may be worth taking a chance, if you are a gambler. However I do agree with Shane that the coin looks AU and not MS but again trying to determine grading and NT/AT form a photo is very difficult.

If I picked this coin up raw with a small premium for color I would give it a shot... Lots of upside potential. If there is already a premium for color and you will need to get it into an NGC holder I would say pass. And I wouldnt put that coin into the Monster category either.

Blues and ambers are the most common colors on 26-S.. I have seen more than several of that year and mint mark with those colors...

With that said, I am not particularly thrilled with the toning progression on it. However like I have said in other threads - toned Peace $ do not tone like other coins so you can pretty much throw out what you know about toning on Morgans for example.

I usually like to ask myself one question "how did this coin tone like this?" And start the investigation from that point. And in this case I would think that if this coin is NT this toning would be from a small paper coin envelope. I dont think it is album toning.

Depending on price, it may be worth taking a chance, if you are a gambler. However I do agree with Shane that the coin looks AU and not MS but again trying to determine grading and NT/AT form a photo is very difficult.

If I picked this coin up raw with a small premium for color I would give it a shot... Lots of upside potential. If there is already a premium for color and you will need to get it into an NGC holder I would say pass. And I wouldnt put that coin into the Monster category either.

I definitely thought it was AU and bought it for the color (with an understanding that there was risk involved). It's in a PCI Gold Holder, so you might as well call it raw. Thanks again for all your help. I'm glad that I did ensure that I received an adequate return privilege.

What looked funny to me is how spotty the toning along the rim was. My Dansco Roosies have that blue toning on them.. and its even around the coin.. nice and smooth. I know that each coin tones differently. When I see spotty toning, I start to wonder.

What looked funny to me is how spotty the toning along the rim was. My Dansco Roosies have that blue toning on them.. and its even around the coin.. nice and smooth. I know that each coin tones differently. When I see spotty toning, I start to wonder.

Spotty toning on Peace $ is actually common... I have seen dozens of toned Peace $ in NGC and PCGS holders that have spotty toning... Are they NT ? I cant say but at least in the recent past it did not get the coins BB or Details Graded at either TPG.

Interesting. I did not know that.... I still have alot to learn when it comes to toning.

I honestly dont know if that applies to other coins... I am going to think not.

But I have researched and studied toned Peace $ for more than a decade so I know them better than any other coin or series...

If you asked me about toning on Bust Halves I would be clueless how to spot AT vs NT.

I personally think different coins tone in different ways based on the metals, the surface conditions, the holder and the environment. I do not subscribe to the notion that what works for Morgans works for Peace $ or even works for Jeffs.

I have seen a lot of prized toned coins in other people's collections who are well versed in a particular series that I would call AT at first glance but they are in either NGC or PCGS plastic. So what do I know... ?

I say dont study toning in general, study toning as it applies to a particular series and even down to dates and mintmarks. Unless you are a dealer and then you better know a lot more !