• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can I post a picture too?

93 posts in this topic

And, now, the 1857-S. The price guides for this date is stupidly low. This Evergreen coin is graded AU58. It looks MUCH nicer than that. I don't think I caught the obv luster at all!

EVP

589a8aabbba52_85654-1857-SAU58obv.JPG.9cacb081762e9c092161b4cb297aa27d.JPG

EVP,

Thanks for the reply. I surely love your collection and maybe even a tad bit envious of your Bust dollar collection. Awesome coins! I think that it was you that shared a photo of an early proof Bust dollar awhile back. It was the most beautiful early dollar that I have ever seen! It is inspiring and motivating for collectors to see what is actually out there.

I bought a 2002 "Year of the Horse" holographic Vietnamese coin for my girlfried, Lynn. She would prefer diamonds (VVS1 color F) but appreciated the coin none-the-less. It would be interesting to see earlier Vietnamese coins if you acquire them. Thanks, EVP and may 2003 be a great year for ya!

My Evergreen half dollar is an AU-58 as well, and for the life of me, I can't understand why. They do not look like 58's, and the quality is magnificent.

The Mint mark on the reverse of the 57S is that the size they were for the period ?

Ken,

According the Wiley-Bugert book, there were two reverse dies (out of 3 total marriages). Mine is WB-101, with the large MM. The other two (same rev die) have a medium MM.

According to the authors, mine is the scarcest of the 3 marriages.

EVP

EVP-

That 73-CC NA dime you said you spent.....you bought some ice cream with it right......because I got one like it at Ben and Jerry's but I can't find it now smile.gif

I am really enjoying these pics with my new cable modem smile.gif

"Now, I have a question. On the British trade dollar, why did they call it a dollar? And what does the rev say? I have a 1930B one in AU that I like but curious to know of some of these things. But I know this is US Coins, so maybe a tangential reference to the US is in order?"

Your coin was struck at the Bombay mint. British trade dollars were struck in London, Bombay, and Calcutta. The reverse says "one yuan" in Chinese and Malaysian -script. China was a dumping ground for silver once many countries went on the gold standard. The US got out of minting trade dollars for export in 1878, but the British didn't start until the 1890's (except for the Hong Kong dollars of the 1860's). As an interesting side note, the British sold their minting equipment to the Japanese government when they stopped striking dollar coins in Hong Kong. The French got into the trade dollar business with their French Indo China piastres du commerce in the 1890's, also. I think their last issue was in 1931, around the same time the British stopped minting trade dollars.

Anyway, trade coins have long been called "dollars." I believe the first was a Sierra Leone trade dollar struck in 1791 or thereabouts. Even the George III "bank dollars" were a sort of trade coin, but the Sierra Leone coin was the first struck specifically for foreign trade. If you look in early Congressional records, you'll see that Spanish colonial 8 reales coins were called "Spanish dollars" before the US got its first mint, too.

And, one of 4 crown-sized silver coins that my Mom's family carried with them when they escaped from the Communists in China...

The history behind the coin does indeed add lots of value to your family's British trade dollar. Way cool.

I've been testing my photography skills and a photo editing program I found. I'd like to show you some.

This is the reverse of my NGC MS61 1913 type 1 buffalo. (The picture is a bit shakey)

589a8aabc07f4_87778-buffaloreverse.jpg.4e2332c4d32e4ce3dbdd5ae0c0270ef7.jpg

jeh46544... may I suggest a tripod wink.gif I got one for christmas, and it made a huge difference! My hands arent steady by any means, so there was no way I could take macro pics without it, or at least by leaning on something to steady my hands. You can get a decent, inexpensive tripod for around $10 or a really nice one with lots of adjustments for around $20, they are well worth it for taking pics of your coins!! smile.gif I was going to take some pics this weekend, but I got the flu and can barely focus my eyes frown.gif so it will have to wait till next weekend hopefully grin.gif

Here's some more of my work.

This one is a NGC PF67UC 1979S type 1 Lincoln. Unfortunatly I havn't gotten a good reverse shot so all I have is the obverse.

The scratches you see are on the holder not the coin.

[edited to add the last statement]

589a8aabc6942_87806-lincolnobverse.jpg.6311e00b507a619436e8747c497fe41c.jpg

Nice efforts so far Joe! What kind of camera are you using? I have a Sony, and it works for me since I tend to be technologically challenged, and it's the easiest to work with. I have also found that since I don't have a tripod, it helps to rest my elbow on the table when taking a close-up as that tends to steady the shot.

As far as your 47 Lincoln goes, I am intrigued! I have never seen one with that date (and I am not an expert on these things), have you had it authenticated? If it is on a steel planchet, I would think it would be very valuable, not as much as the 43 copper, since it seems the 44 Steel cents are always worth less, but this might be up there. Is it possible this is not on a steel planchet, but on a dime? Very interesting though, thanks for sharing it!

I have a confession to make jtryka, the lincoln isn't really a wrong planchet. It's just an NGC MS65RD 1947 lincoln. Sorry to fool you. It was an experiment. I wanted to see how easily a collector could be fooled in to buying a coin that is not real. Here's the real pic of the coin. Once again I apologize. But, I must say it is a very nice pic.

589a8aabd9f60_87953-1947_1c_NGC_MS65RD-obverse.jpg.53837bbee1abebdf77f9563ead79918d.jpg

Well, silly me, I should have realized with all the picture editing you were doing it must have been altered. So here's a question, if it's an NGC certified coin, why is the holder black? Is this one of their first generation holders, or was the photo taken before it was slabbed, or did you edit the picture again?

Remind me never to bid on one of your eBay auctions! tongue.gif