• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can I post a picture too?

93 posts in this topic

OK, now that we can see it, what differentiates this variety and makes it rare?

Well, Keith, that's a question and a half... and that I can't answer w/o writing a full article.

It is rare by virtue of its paltry extant population, but it is also highly coveted because it was unknown to Bolender when he first wrote his book. The Bolender number for this variety is 32, so you can say that it was discovered only a couple of decades ago. This is the third rarest variety of the year, with Bolender-33 being the rarest (3 extant, all EF's) and the Bol.-18 the second rarest (5 or 6 extant).

A curious thing about this variety (BB-91) is that the obverse was also mated with the BB-82, the 1798 Small Eagle 13 Stars variety.

BTW, I think my coin is a borderline EF, and should be considered condition census.

EVP

I'm really enjoying my new camera... Since we're still sharing pics with each other, here's another: 1873-CC Arrows Dime.

For those of you who really know your Seated Dimes, this coin is VERY rare. If slabbed by either NGC or PCGS, this would likely be the 2nd finest slabbed.

As it stands now, it has some corrosion. I think it's light corrosion, but then I'm the owner... smile.gif

EVP

589a8aab92531_85153-1873-CCdimeobv.JPG.9479a3048c0ea184c86e59c3de09f8b5.JPG

Thanks Charles. As promised, a pic of a Cambodian hammered coin. The reverse has no design, so I won't bother with a pic of that.

EVP

[Edited to add that this is also from my trip to Angkor; the dimensions are 1/20 of an inch.]

589a8aab99d8f_85157-Cambodianhammeredcoin.jpg.bf27fb3f5ff5c1551eba21ffe22b443d.jpg

nice dime! The dime is the only seated coinage that really does it for me! If I ever get enough money, I will have to start a nice set of those! smile.gif I have a few, very circulated seated dimes, but nothing nice like that!

Very nice dime EVP, too bad it's not the variety without arrows! wink.gif Either way it beats any dimes I have in my collection! Thanks for sharing it!

Jeff,

Thanks. I owned the w/o arrs specimen too, but I didn't want to seem pretentious so I spent it. It is now lost, and that is why the coin is now unique.

wink.gif

EVP

No, Jeff, I'm not a snob.

I'm posting some Bust Dollars because I just saw Wisconson here. He's gone now, but maybe he'll come back.

The first one is an 1803 Small 3, BB-252. It is totally lustrous and deserving of a much higher grade. (BTW, this is the coin that I sent to PCGS because the rubber ring was turning yellow.)

[side note: Ally Landry is on TV right now. She's really hot!!!]

EVP

589a8aab9c13c_85288-BB-252AU50obv.JPG.bf8042e6b80d121f7d440caaef921a83.JPG

And, now, for BB-255. This is the 1803 Large 3 variety. This specimen goes very well with my BB-252. This is also thoroughly lustrous and deserving of a higher grade.

BTW, *all* BB-255 specimens have the rev die rotated about 30 degrees or so ccw.

EVP

589a8aaba2700_85290-BB-255AU50obv.JPG.a10c0178e2a66a1576aa51296dc82e5f.JPG

You know, I may come off sounding like a snob here, but those coins are pretty nice, but I am convinced they would look better if they were about half that size, and if the liberty was wearing a cap, oh yeah, and if they were struck in gold! grin.gif

Now, I have a question. On the British trade dollar, why did they call it a dollar? And what does the rev say? I have a 1930B one in AU that I like but curious to know of some of these things.

Dunno. Shiroh may know, if he sees this... I have a Trade Dollar book (the Willem book, I think) that may have tell us why. When I get a chance, I go through the book. (I only got the book not too long ago.)

EVP

wild wild wild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow evp those scans are excellent!!

the coins even moreso and the rarity!

the ultimate

the collector selecting superb coins!!!! amazing surfaces and rarity! astounding combos! asnd then the sharing of

information in great scans!!!

sincerely michael

Well EVP, you're luckty it was only a gorgeous Indian eagle, because if it was an early gold piece I would have wet myself! tongue.gif Thanks for sharing all the pics, you must have a wonderful collection, and your photo skills are really becoming impressive (not that I am a photo expert by any stretch!).

EVP,

Do you have any Vietnamese coins? Would love to see some pix posted of them. My girlfriend is Vietnamese and I'm surely smitten so maybe I'm just a little biased. smile.gif Thanks.

Here's a coin I got from my trip to the Angkor Tom ruins a couple of years ago. For those who don't know, Angkor is in Siem Reap, Cambodia.

As luck would have it, the NY Times has an article on one of the temples in the Angkor complex: NYT article

EVP

Do you have any Vietnamese coins?

Victor,

This is odd... One of my best friends is Vietnamese (born in Hue and is anti-Jesuit). I was certain that I had Vietnamese coins, or paper currency, but I can't seem to find any.

I'll have to get him to rectify that...

I do, however, have a bunch more Fr. Indo-Chinese coins. Somehow, I doubt your girlfriend would be flattered to see those.

EVP