• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kryptonitecomics FUN show report DAY 1 & 2

66 posts in this topic

My show report:

I was able to get up early and meet up with a bunch of PCGS forum members for breakfast before the show and I know that at least Charmy/Rick Snow post over here but I don't know if any of the others do or what their user names are over here but we had a good time and Charmy took so pictures of the group which I am sure she will post when she gets a chance! (thumbs u

This was the largest FUN show in history with 597 dealer tables and I have never seen a bigger Thursday crowd waiting to get in to the show in all my years of attending. I made a friend while we waited for the show to open and it was a nice guy from South Carolina that was at the show for the first time. He had a million questions about the show, grading coins, what was available at the show etc so I tried to help as much as I could in a 20 minute period before entry and then when the doors opened he was off on his hunt for Mexican coins. I spoke to probably 75 dealers as I roamed the floor and not one said that sales were light....they were all excited about the amount of traffic and the sales they had made since the show opened for early birds on Wednesday.

As far as what was on the floor....I saw a ton of everything (Morgans, Mercs, CBH's, copper) lol

The first table I came too (Royalty coins) I spent all the money I brought with me to the show, so I made 3 return trips to the ATM so I could continue to shop. Once I max out my ATM withdrawal limit I had to leave the show...go to my bank and withdraw more money and come back to the show....this has never happened in all the years I have attended FUN :o I don't know if it was the decline in Silver prices or what but this is the first show I can remember spending as much as I did because I was finding fair prices vs the double market value inflated ones I am accustomed to seeing. For those curious....all I bought was Toned Morgan silver dollars...probably 15 in total.

I then roamed the floor looking for a nicely toned raw Morgan dollar as I wanted to submit 5 morgan’s to NGC for their $30 show grading special and I only had 4 raw ones with me. That was quite a challenge and I would say I looked for 2 hours and covered 80% of the floor before I hit the jackpot. I found an 1883 CC Morgan in a 2x2 marked MS64+PL that had super nice rainbow toning on the reverse with a super clean blast white obverse. The coin looks like a MS65* to me so I didn't think twice about dropping the $350 asking price.

I made my way to the NGC table and sat down and started filling out the invoice and was immediately met by Dena who assisted me with the submission. For those that have not had the pleasure of meeting Dena at a show it is always a real treat as she is such a pleasure to talk to....a real genuine person and she feels like a member of the family and not a "NGC" employee so NGC is lucky to have her. I was also surprised but happy to see David lange behind the counter assisting with submissions and I spoke with him at length about old NGC holder and I showed him my group of 2.0's and 2.1's to which he pointed me to a display case filled with different slabs released by NGC over the last 25 years including a 1.0 black slab that was on display to help celebrate NGC's 25th anniversary. Just like Dena....David is very personable and is a pleasure to talk to...top notch all the way.

I only saw one old NGC Holder (2.0/2.1) but man was it a doozy....it was a seated dime in PF65 CAC and I could swear it had a PL designation as well but I may be incorrect on that...? I wanted it bad but I didn't have the $1750 ASKING PRICE and I had no clue if that was even a good deal but the dealer told me sheet on the coin was $1400 so who knows?

I ran into so many forum member that I can't list them all but one that I wanted to single out was Mark Feld. Mark and I have developed one of those internet friendships you read about over the past 6 or 7 years I would say. We have been to the same FUN show over and over and have never bumped into each other to meet in person...it has been a personal running joke between us that neither one of us actually exist.....we are virtual people lol This time I took the bull by the horns and I called him while on the floor and we agreed to meet at a table he was sharing. It was a true pleasure to finally make the face to face connection and see that Mark is as great a guy in person as we all know him to be on the forums.

Mark and I bumped into each other around 3 more times as we circled the floor which was crazy after the 7 years of just missing each other. We chatted some more about life in general and personal things in our lives...I was only sorry we couldn't sit down for lunch and dinner and chat more but we were both fairly busy.

Finally as I was leaving the show I managed to catch up with the gentleman I had met in the morning...he conveyed that he had had a great time and found lots of nice coins at the show. I wanted to make this show memory a truly special for him so before we said our goodbyes I reached into my bag and I gave him a toned Mexican coin from my collection and told him to please come back next year!!! We gave each other a shoulder to shoulder man hug lol and he left grinning from ear to ear....

Here is the coin I gave him and I know it has a great home!!!

Consignments72056.jpg

Consignments72057.jpg

Consignments72117.jpg

Consignments72118.jpg

Nice report, Shane. It sounds like it's a great show all around. :applause: I would love to meet Dena one day. She seems like a great person online. I hope to make it to this show in a few years.

Great report Shane. Can't wait to see that CC Morgan ya bought! I would sure like to make it one day. I've only met a couple members here and I'd love to meet many more. Btw, that was a very nice gift. I'm sure that brought a very nice smile to your friends face. Looking forward to the rest of the wknd!!

Wow, great report and glad it was so much FUN! Very gererous of you as well. Maybe next year I can be the guy from SC with a million questions at my first FUN show!

Very nice write up, sir. I also think that was a class act to give virtually a complete stranger the coin you gave him. I have purchased a couple coins from Shane, I have never met him, but I see the "real deal" here. Great job and look forward to reading more about the FUN event.

Shane, it was a sincere pleasure to finally meet you and get to chat for a while.

And it's good to know that each of us actually does exist. ;)

I don't do the pictures simply becuase a lot of coin collectors don't want their images taken as they don't want criminals to know they collect. I know Charmy asks before taking pictures so nothing wrong with hers...I just don't want to get in trouble with anyone ;)

O Man . I so jealous. I am just going to have to try and make it to the states soon for a show. But from the sounds of things have a bag of money as well. :)

Roger, you won't get much nicer weather... 70's and sunny. Its paradise.

Great report Shane! I've noticed plenty of toners, so you didn't buy nearly all of them. Can't wait to see what you bring to show us tomorrow!

My show report will be posted Sunday evening when I get back to Chucktown, but I've had a decent show.

Roger, you won't get much nicer weather... 70's and sunny. Its paradise.

Great report Shane! I've noticed plenty of toners, so you didn't buy nearly all of them. Can't wait to see what you bring to show us tomorrow!

My show report will be posted Sunday evening when I get back to Chucktown, but I've had a decent show.

Don't be disapointed...my shirt will be the most colorful thing I bring lol

Shane did you find me any proof roosevelt toners!! If not you better get looking tomorrow!! :grin:

I am planning way ahead and I will be there next year. Wife has already approved the trip!! :applause:

I had a great time at the show and got to say hi to lots of members. Found lots of Lincoln plaques and medals but my gosh the prices. Had to leave with nothing. Hope to find something today. Looking forward to saying hi to several more folks today.

I will update this thread tomorrow with today's adventures including the NGC luncheon...the much awaited picture of my shirt.....and my best Morgan pick up from the show...a raw 1883 CC reverse toner that I submitted to NGC and received an MS64* ....please be patient and I will make all of your coin show reading dreams come true :acclaim:

I was at the show on Friday. I only saw 4 people from the forum. I was looking but did not see any of you. I seen rich urich, the CRO guys, Blue Photo and Chamy. I know I missed many others. I sold a few coins, and then managed to buy one. The ICG grader was a nice treat. He was kind enough to give me an opinion on a coin that was swirling with thoughts from the show. I did manage a sweet score. Photos to come in a bit. :D

Just back from the show, Chris (cpm9ball) invited me to sit with the boys at the NGC lunch and had a great time. We passed around many of our NEWPS and I will tell you, what Shane and Jason (physics) had knocked my socks off! Got to talk photography with Larry (ldhair) and John (messydesk) at the luncheon, and got to place faces to posters here, again what a great bunch and thanks to all of you for the fun lunch! (thumbs u

Met Mark Feld and chatted, thanks Mark. And as always, thanks to Todd and Charmy for their patience for all of my pestering at their table, much fun as usual!

I will post some NEWPS when I get them imaged.

Best, HT