• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any reports from the FUN show?

27 posts in this topic

Well I didn't go but I am afraid I am not going to win anything at Heritage! Outbid in 8 of the 9 coins I bid on!!

bidding.jpg

Yeah, I got blown out of the water on everything I decided to bid on. Not even close!

I'll be heading to the show in an hour or so, gotta get some breakfast or something. Show reports will start coming in tonight, I'm guessing.

I was thinking about going today.I heard it is well worth even just walking around. I was wondering how much cash you think I should bring with me? and I know this may sound stupid but if I were to bring some of my silver coins there, does anyone here recomend a dealer that is buying silver coins?

I’ve been working the show since the Wednesday Early Bid day. My usual sources did not have anything for me so I’ve been free lancing the floor. Once I dropped down to my lower level want lists, things opened up. I’ve found some very nice pieces that I have already added my registry sets. Pictures will have to wait until I get home.

The show appears to be very busy with lots of attendees. Most dealers say they have been very busy. It looks like it has been a strong show.

I was wondering how much cash you think I should bring with me?
I think you should bring $4,382. ;)
Thats a very specific amount.. is that your asking price on double eagles? :roflmao::takeit:

Both of us previous posters were attempting humor. Everybody knows you can't seriously ask anybody else how much cash you should bring to a coin show. If you're just window-shopping, all you need is lunch money, or at least enough for a big gulp slurpee at the 711 down the block, and bus fare to get home. If you're planning to spring for highest-grade rare-date double eagles with oval stickers from elite dealers wearing expensive tailored suits, then a wad with 4382 bucks ain't gonna impress 'em. It also depends on many other factors, such as whether your stash of cash would be more secure carried in your pocket or safer left back home stuffed in the mattress, and such as if you flub the next mortgage payment would that be preferable to missing out on an impulsive coin purchase. What if you go full hog, even breaking the kids' piggy bank and grandmas coin jar, and tap out at the show, will everybody at home be cool with that? Anyway, the next time somebody asks you how much cash to bring to the coin show, don't hesitate, and recommend to them a precise amount, even if it's only "a dollar three eighty."

Well I didn't go but I am afraid I am not going to win anything at Heritage! Outbid in 8 of the 9 coins I bid on!!

bidding.jpg

Well it is official.....I got out bid on all 9 coins!! :sorry:

Well it is official.....I got outbid on all 9 coins!!

Do you have any true consolations? Such as that you didn't overpay for anything but other people did when they got carried away by the excitement of the live bidding, and all your underbids were items you didn't really want so terribly much after all and if you got them for your max bids you probably would've ended up with buyer's remorse, and upon re-examining the super-enlarged Heritage photos you now see additional flaws you had previously overlooked in those coins you had bid on, and this current active market tends to increase the worth of all the numismatic treasures you already possess so you've become better off in asset value despite not having made any transactions, plus even if you had won any, the coins might very well have gotten lost in the mail, or after signing for the packet and opening up the envelope, you could have discovered the slabs were badly damaged during shipping resulting in scratches on the coin obverses for which you were considered responsible, and lots of other stuff like that? Or would any and all of those be true lies?

I had decided that this time I would be looking (primarily) for 19th century French, Belgian & Swiss medals. There were plenty of medals available if you don't mind a goodly number that were struck within the last few weeks.

At one table, I did spot a US Centennial medal. The dealer had it marked $150, but told me straightaway that he would knock it down to $125. When I gave it a closer look, I noticed that the female figure had taken a pretty good hit on her nose. She looked like a boxer. When I offered him $100 mentioning the damage, his reply was, "To be honest, I really hadn't looked that closely at it." Yeah, right! He wouldn't budge, and I wouldn't buy.

At another table, I noticed a Washington medal from 1853 (I think). The dealer was sitting with his back to the display cases fiddling around organizing some papers. I waited a couple of minutes, and he still hadn't turned around, so to announce my presence, I said, "That's a nice looking Washington medal." Without turning around, he replied, "Yeah, it is." A couple more minutes went by, and when another (potential) customer approached the table, he turned around to attend to him. I'm sorry, but I just don't have any use for people like this. It wouldn't even have made a difference if the medal was priced to sell, but I'll never know!

As a result, the only money I spent at FUN this year was at the NGC table for coins that I brought with me to submit.

Chris

At another table, I noticed a Washington medal from 1853 (I think). The dealer was sitting with his back to the display cases fiddling around organizing some papers. I waited a couple of minutes, and he still hadn't turned around, so to announce my presence, I said, "That's a nice looking Washington medal." Without turning around, he replied, "Yeah, it is." A couple more minutes went by, and when another (potential) customer approached the table, he turned around to attend to him. I'm sorry, but I just don't have any use for people like this. It wouldn't even have made a difference if the medal was priced to sell, but I'll never know!

Thanks for sharing that experience. I also will move on quickly when a dealer is rude, discourteous or inattentive, or in the case you described probably all three combined. And I'd guess he'd have tried to overcharge you for that Washington medal, just on the basis of his overall behavior. Dealers like that are often only rudimentary dealers, and are really only there to buy, using their table as an excuse to be inside the show ahead of the public, and to try finagling dealer's discounts.

The better dealers will efficiently greet all comers, even if just by making eye contact, or by flashing a half-smile, or by saying something, by saying almost anything that's a tad friendly. When I'm dealing, I won't say the usual "Can I help you" which gets old, I try to say something different to everybody who comes by, simple lines like "Nice sweater" or "Discover anything good yet?" or "Are you buying or selling?" or "How's the weather outside?" or "What's your favorite item?" or "I'll be with you right away."

Thanks for sharing that experience. I also will move on quickly when a dealer is rude, discourteous or inattentive, or in the case you described probably all three combined. And I'd guess he'd have tried to overcharge you for that Washington medal, just on the basis of his overall behavior. Dealers like that are often only rudimentary dealers, and are really only there to buy, using their table as an excuse to be inside the show ahead of the public, and to try finagling dealer's discounts.

The better dealers will efficiently greet all comers, even if just by making eye contact, or by flashing a half-smile, or by saying something, by saying almost anything that's a tad friendly. When I'm dealing, I won't say the usual "Can I help you" which gets old, I try to say something different to everybody who comes by, simple lines like "Nice sweater" or "Discover anything good yet?" or "Are you buying or selling?" or "How's the weather outside?" or "What's your favorite item?" or "I'll be with you right away."

I guess it just wasn't my "week that day"! I had also taken along with me a 1916 Mexico 1c that was in an NGC XF40BN to try to get some accurate pricing info since the Krause isn't all that accurate and I could never find another listing for it online. I was browsing through the "Foreign" section with my case-on-wheels when one dealer asked what I have to sell. I said that I wasn't selling anything, but since he raised the subject, I asked if he could tell me what it might be worth. The first words out of his mouth loud enough for everyone nearby to hear were, "This is cr@p, and it's even worse because it's in plastic!"

I kind of surprised myself because I just thanked him and left. What I don't understand is that if I had approached his table and began bad-mouthing all of his coins, I'm sure he would immediately tell me to "take a hike!" I wonder if he acted the same way at other tables on "Dealer's Day"?

Chris

I guess it just wasn't my "week that day"! I had also taken along with me a 1916 Mexico 1c that was in an NGC XF40BN to try to get some accurate pricing info since the Krause isn't all that accurate and I could never find another listing for it online. I was browsing through the "Foreign" section with my case-on-wheels when one dealer asked what I have to sell. I said that I wasn't selling anything, but since he raised the subject, I asked if he could tell me what it might be worth. The first words out of his mouth loud enough for everyone nearby to hear were, "This is cr@p, and it's even worse because it's in plastic!" I kind of surprised myself because I just thanked him and left. What I don't understand is that if I had approached his table and began bad-mouthing all of his coins, I'm sure he would immediately tell me to "take a hike!" I wonder if he acted the same way at other tables on "Dealer's Day"?

That's another example of rudeness by a rudimentary dealer. Such people are lousy primitive capitalists, having never realized that successful capitalism at the personal level requires diplomacy. They are generally part-timers who are (or were) not in business for themselves at their main occupation, but are (were) merely employees having limited contact with the general public. They may have built up a lifetime accumulation of coins (or other collectibles) to peddle, but they are woefully inferior capitalists. Please don't let those types ever get you down, it should be water off the back of a duck, you did the best thing by just walking away.

I guess it just wasn't my "week that day"! I had also taken along with me a 1916 Mexico 1c that was in an NGC XF40BN to try to get some accurate pricing info since the Krause isn't all that accurate and I could never find another listing for it online. I was browsing through the "Foreign" section with my case-on-wheels when one dealer asked what I have to sell. I said that I wasn't selling anything, but since he raised the subject, I asked if he could tell me what it might be worth. The first words out of his mouth loud enough for everyone nearby to hear were, "This is cr@p, and it's even worse because it's in plastic!" I kind of surprised myself because I just thanked him and left. What I don't understand is that if I had approached his table and began bad-mouthing all of his coins, I'm sure he would immediately tell me to "take a hike!" I wonder if he acted the same way at other tables on "Dealer's Day"?

That's another example of rudeness by a rudimentary dealer. Such people are lousy primitive capitalists, having never realized that successful capitalism at the personal level requires diplomacy. They are generally part-timers who are (or were) not in business for themselves at their main occupation, but are (were) merely employees having limited contact with the general public. They may have built up a lifetime accumulation of coins (or other collectibles) to peddle, but they are woefully inferior capitalists. Please don't let those types ever get you down, it should be water off the back of a duck, you did the best thing by just walking away.

You're so right, and if I had really wanted to get even, I would have leaned over and told him quietly but politely that I'm a member of numerous coin forums and I'll be sure to let everyone know the name of your business and how you treat people.

Chris

You're so right, and if I had really wanted to get even, I would have leaned over and told him quietly but politely that I'm a member of numerous coin forums and I'll be sure to let everyone know the name of your business and how you treat people.

Chris

I would love to have seen his face if you had told him this. lol

Who was he?

Chris

I would love to have seen his face if you had told him this. lol

Who was he?

I didn't even look at the name.

Chris