• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For all you closet modern lovers...

9 posts in this topic

In the spirit of trying to show that I really do not believe that every coin minted after 1933 is , here are some photos of a few coins I had laying around the house (I apologize for the photos if they are poor quality, but I am not a professional!):

1953-S Obverse

1953-S Reverse

1963 Obverse

1963 Reverse

1970-D Obverse

1970-D Reverse

1972-S Obverse

1972-S Reverse

Nice coins.

I'm a closet moderns lover too. I have a complete set of Frankies, Roosies, Ikes and Jeffs, all in Dansco albums.

I bought my Ike set for $100 a few years ago, before the big run-up. I was gonna buy a set of JFKs too, but I was too late and the prices had already started to go up.

Some of my Frankies are proofs.

I also collect SQs from circulation and place them into a Whitman album. I'm tempted to start buying some raw ones to fill the holes. Last year, Legend set up next to a dealer with boxes of SQs of all states and mints. The prices varied, but all were under $2/ea. George distracted me, and I forgot to buy them.

frown.gif

EVP

I do the same thing EVP, except my Franklins are all slabbed, and my Kennedys are all from circulation (except the 70-D), my washingtons are mostly circ, and as for SQs, the dealer I used to frequent in Portland sold them for 50 cents each in unc, and the other dealer just had a bucket of circ SQs, need one just take it and replace it with another SQ. I like modern silver, it seems like the mint still can't strike nice coins in clad. I just ordered my roll of 2003 silver eagles, and it sounds dumb, but I've been ordering a roll a year since 1990, and just put them away.

I probably have more moderns in my posession than I do blades of grass in my yard. It just sort of - happened. I started buying rolls, then bags, then more and more kept coming my way. I'm currently at the pace of 200-300 rolls a month....yeah, yeah...quality over quantity - but you know? One of these days all this modern stuff I have will be the quality older coins. Albeit still somewhat common, they will still be nice to have when nobody seems to be able to buy them by the roll any more...cause I have them ALL!!

BWAAAA-HAAA-HAAAAAA!

Copper

There was a story in the Detroit newspapers a couple of weeks ago about a local resident who, when they hauled him off to the mental hospital, was found to have over 400 uncaged hamsters living in his house. After taking the rodents to local pet shops they had to tear the house down.

Sounds like they will have to melt your house down. shocked.gif

Nice coins. Nice pictures. That '72-S Ike is a stone cold beauty. I also have several Whitman Albums for modern coins and Capital Plastics holders for some of the sets. I normally just buy a mint set every year for the purpose of breaking them apart and acquiring new coins.

Thanks, that Ike is one of my favorites. I really like the silver Ikes just because they seem to have such wonderful strikes by and large. I don't care much for the silver proofs though, since they seem to spot and haze so frequently (very tough to fine a nice clean specimen). Like some of you, I buy mint sets about every year, usually 2, one to cut up for the albums and one to keep intact (It's so hard to find Kennedys in circulation, so I just cut em up, but they can be found, just takes a couple years, as right now I am finding a lot of 2000 dated coin in rolls). There are many mint sets that I consider too cheap as well, and the best example off the top of my head is the 87, I just keep on buying them under $7! Yes, they were well saved, but given the key date status of the half, I still think they are cheap. Same is true, but not so much for the 70 and 73 sets.