• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Results of dipping an improperly cleaned coin

7 posts in this topic

Bought an ugly Trade Dollar that had dip residue on it. It was in an ANACS "improperly cleaned" holder. This is what it looked like upon purchase. BTW it was much worse than the pictures show.

IMG_0208-1.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

This is what it looked like immediately after dipping

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

And this is what it looked like a few days later...no surface treatment added, just mellowed out I guess.

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

This was for my type set, and one instance when dipping a coin is justified.

Jim, did you thoroughly rinse the coin in distilled water? An improperly rinsed coin after a dip can continue to develop even more problems. It was and is a problem coin, nothing is going to change that. But you appear to have removed harmful substances from the surface - so I would consider this conservation.

There's really no way (at least, none I'm yet aware of) to rehabilitate an improperly cleaned surface on a coin. As was suggested, however, an improperly cleaned surface, given sufficient time, will tend to build a veneer...a.k.a., something approximating "skin"...I believe.