• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of this 1976 D dime?

8 posts in this topic

I found this dime in some pocket change and thought it looked odd. I am not certain if this is some after mint damage inflicted on the coin, or if this is something that happened at the mint. A dime is such a small diameter, it seems unlikely that someone would do something all the way around the inside diameter of the coin (or is that dimeter? :eyeroll:) I am still trying to figure out obverse from reverse on coins, so I thought maybe someone could help in my education on such things. Any help would be appreciated.

I apologize in advance for the glare and quality of photos... I am using a usb microscope I got for Christmas and I am far from being good with it yet.

646121_orig.jpg

1063179_orig.jpg

9834752_orig.jpg

Thank you Jim... So this would be caused by one of the machines like you find in your local bank or credit union where you dump your coins in and get cash back type thing?

Wow.. I had no idea that those machines were so rough on coins! Thank you for the insight!

Makes me really cringe when I think about the story I heard from my credit union manager. Apparently one of the credit union members passed on and his wife took his coin collection to the credit union and dumped it into one of those machines in spite of the fact that the manager tried to tell her the coins were worth more than face value. The recent widow just shrugged and said "no, that's ok, I just want to cash them in".... yikes!

Note to self: inform wife not to do something like this upon my demise.....