• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay feedback

37 posts in this topic

If the "lost" item reappears on eBay from the same seller, then I would leave feedback.

Well, that's the thing. The next time it could be an SVDB he contracted on and wants and isn't getting any P.O. confirmation on, either. Perhaps he learned something, here. Whatever the case, glad he's content with the outcome on this one.

There's a huge difference in price there. It's an $8 set for crying out loud. I would, based on price, doubt that any reasonable seller would ship a coin that expensive (i.e. a 1909 s VDB cent) without delivery confirmation. Moreover, smart buyers would insist on insurance. The number on the insurance tag can be used by USPS to track the coin internally although the USPS site does not allow web users to use the numbers to track their packages online.

If the "lost" item reappears on eBay from the same seller, then I would leave feedback.

Well, that's the thing. The next time it could be an SVDB he contracted on and wants and isn't getting any P.O. confirmation on, either. Perhaps he learned something, here. Whatever the case, glad he's content with the outcome on this one.

There's a huge difference in price there. It's an $8 set for crying out loud. I would, based on price, doubt that any reasonable seller would ship a coin that expensive (i.e. a 1909 s VDB cent) without delivery confirmation. Moreover, smart buyers would insist on insurance. The number on the insurance tag can be used by USPS to track the coin internally although the USPS site does not allow web users to use the numbers to track their packages online.

Are you trying to say something? I thought it was important for somebody to tell him his rights just in case this set should have happened to have meant something to him. Evidently, it didn't. Maybe the next time he'll feel differently. Why don't you try real hard to just be OK with that? I really wouldn't mind it too much.

Are you trying to say something? I thought it was important for somebody to tell him his rights just in case this set should have happened to have meant something to him. Evidently, it didn't. Maybe the next time he'll feel differently. Why don't you try real hard to just be OK with that? I really wouldn't mind it too much.

I am saying that you are unreasonable if you believe that a seller is going to expend the extra funds (and effort) to add delivery confirmation on an item worth $10. Sellers who would resort to petty squabbling over a $2.40 bid are the exact type that would moan and groan about paying the extra shipping fees that would be required if every seller chose to add tracking to lower priced items.

Finally, again, I'm still trying to put my finger on why you keep referring to "contracts" and "rights"? What rights do you suppose he has now that he has received a refund (and he could not prove that the item wasn't shipped)? Assuming that you were correct in your assertion to begin with, how do you suppose he enforce these "rights"? More importantly, you seem to be making an argument, either implicitly or explicitly, that this auction could be worth fighting over for some yet to be announced principle? He has no proof that the coin was never mailed, so what principle would he being arguing for exactly?

I am saying that you are unreasonable if you believe that a seller is going to expend the extra funds (and effort) to add delivery confirmation on an item worth $10. Sellers who would resort to petty squabbling over a $2.40 bid are the exact type that would moan and groan about paying the extra shipping fees that would be required if every seller chose to add tracking to lower priced items.

Finally, again, I'm still trying to put my finger on why you keep referring to "contracts" and "rights"? What rights do you suppose he has now that he has received a refund (and he could not prove that the item wasn't shipped)? Assuming that you were correct in your assertion to begin with, how do you suppose he enforce these "rights"? More importantly, you seem to be making an argument, either implicitly or explicitly, that this auction could be worth fighting over for some yet to be announced principle? He has no proof that the coin was never mailed, so what principle would he being arguing for exactly?

I sell on eBay quite a bit. Sometimes items sell for under $10, rarely but it's happened. When printing a label through eBay, 19 cents is automatically added for Delivery Confirmation. All sellers on eBay are required to provide tracking and proof of receipt regardless of item value. I always use it.

This set would have needed a padded mailer and delivery confirmation for the seller to have demonstrated due diligence. It was not provided to the buyer.

Would I leave a Neg? Probably not. A Neutral? Maybe. They sure as heck don't get Positive feedback. They did not do their job as required by the eBay "contract" they had with the winning bidder.

As eBay has shown in their own studies, when sellers don't sell because the "price was too low", or the item actually gets lost, or broken, or whatever other reason a seller may have, buyers get annoyed and walk. eBay wants to keep buyers buying. That has been one of the cornerstones of why eBay was successful in the first place: buyers were assured that the items they won or bought would show up.

I know eBay winks twice and ignores this policy when it suits them, and there are therefore a lot of folks who don't understand this major difference between eBay and regular online retailers, but it's still on the books.

Refund or not, it's 2012...there's no excuse to not be using delivery confirmation, other than to provide a convenient "oops...must have gotten lost" when the item doesn't fetch the price wanted.

This is precisely why the feedback system was invented. The dollar amount is irrelevant.

If one "moves on" to another seller who happens to pull the same kind of nonsense, how likely is the buyer to return for a third try...?

Ebay has been around for what? 11 years or so and saying that a lot of people do not understand the differences between buying on ebay and buying from an online business makes me think that if this is true, there are many insufficiently_thoughtful_persons on the web. If you buy on Ebay you: 1-are buying from people that could be doing it for extra cash or it is their actual business 2- there are some listings that are fraudulent but the sellers beat the system by following the listing guidelines. ex: "Xbox 360 new box" as the listing title,buy it now $299. and when that item was hot, a buyer would see it was a lower price and purchase it. 2 weeks later you get an xbox 360 brand new BOX and when the buyer calls ebay to complain ebay tells them the seller followed the listing guidelines and to just leave neg. feedback. 3- most of the time you can only go by the listing description, seller feedback etc when your going to buy on ebay.

but if you buy from an actual online business like lets say APMEX.com you: 1- buying from someone who is a company, 2- has customer reviews BBB acreditations, and are backed by numerous organisations. 3- you are guarunteed to receive your item no matter what and they are much easier to call and deal with than ebay. but ofcourse Ebay has items listed way cheaper but in some cases I would rather talk to a customer service rep. from APMEX, than talk to an Ebay customer service rep. whos just going to tell me to file a claim and wait it out.

That's better. Thanks. Let's discuss these concerns you raise, now...

An offer plus acceptance plus consideration equals a contract whether that happens on eBay or it happens anywhere else. His right in this case is to specific performance on the contract. He settled on a refund. That's his business. It's not my business to tell him how much he wants this set or doesn't want it or in the case of the former to what extreme he must be willing to go to rectify this default on the part of this seller. Obviously as you accurately pointed out the expense of enforcing his contract rights in a case like this wouldn't be peanuts. In all fairness, I never suggested that he go to that extreme, either. I rather suggested that he not let this matter go at the refund but rather reference this unexplained default in his feedback.

There are other nuances, of course, but it would hardly be productive to go into those, at this stage. I hear what you're saying, and I believe your points are very well-reasoned. The next time, though, he could feel differently, as I said. As such, he shouldn't walk away from this thinking his only rights in a case like this are to a refund. That's not the case.

In hindsight, I kind of like what FishyOne had just suggested, leave this at a Neutral. Give him a good grade on the timely refund but a bad grade on the fishy explanation surrounding the default. Something like that. But, let the record reflect, that's where I see our only disagreement, now, principally. Correct me, of course, if you happen to feel I'm mistaken on that.

My personal thoughts are that regardless, some form of feedback should be left. I believe my grandfather before he passed had said it best by saying "the world is a wonderful place as long as the blinders are in place".

If there was no tracking number given, item never arrived to buyer, refund was issued by seller, that would warrant leaving a neutral feedback. It should not matter if the item was 99 cents or 99 dollars, feedback should be left accordingly so that other future possible buyers are aware that this kind of thing has happened with this seller in the past. That is exactly why ebay incorporated the feedback system. If you were to go to a tire service center and they forgot to put a new valve stem in causing the tire you just had put on to leak, can you honestly say that you wouldn't tell anyone else about it if someone mentions the idea of going to that same company for a tire replacement? Of course not, you will mention your experience to the person asking if they could trust the place to perform its services accurately. I am certian that there is not a member on this forum that has not done that exact same thing at one time or another. So why should the idea of leaving feedback on ebay be any different? Just because it was a cheap coin or set of coins? Because the item wasn't something you personally would have interest in?

I guess all of these review sites for companies or product review sections on retail sites are all horrible evil things as they let the potential customers know of any possible issues that customers in the past may have had.