• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay feedback

37 posts in this topic

I bought this item.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290647338171?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Seller says it was shipped over 2 weeks ago. I never rec'd it. Seller is not responding to request for a tracking number and instead says he will refund. My guess is that it was never shipped, though this would be impossible to prove.

What Ebay feedback would be appropriate?

around christmas time the post office gets sporadic with some things

I would wait another couple weeks -

tracking number on a $3 item?

his feedback shows sending dollar items

what you going to do if it shows up in a couple days?

oops seller, sorry for being an azz

but I can't change my score/feedback

and it may affect your eBay fees for a few months

I told him that it may be delayed by the post office, and I will wait and see if it's delivered in the next week. Rather than go with that, he is insisting on a refund, which seems very odd.

In any event I will wait and see if it arrives in the next couple of weeks. If you took a look at the item, not only did I get it cheap (the only reason I bid on it, as I just stumbled on it a few minutes before auction ended) but there is a chance the nickel is a cameo.

In any event if it never arrives, I will likely give a neutral feedback because whether true or not my perception would be that it was not shipped. Should it arrive, then the feedback would obviously be positive.

It is a $3 item – just take the refund and move on, don’t bother with any feedback. If he gives a refund do not leave a neutral – that is petty. You have no proof it was never shipped and it is possible the post office lost it. His shipping costs were high so he could have paid for tracking however most wont on something this cheap.

I bought this item.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290647338171?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Seller says it was shipped over 2 weeks ago. I never rec'd it. Seller is not responding to request for a tracking number and instead says he will refund. My guess is that it was never shipped, though this would be impossible to prove.

What Ebay feedback would be appropriate?

Require the seller to produce the tracking number. My guess is, the price was "too low", and the seller is trying to back out of the deal. This is especially likely given that they are so eager to refund, rather than figure out what happened (though it is a low dollar item.)

If they can produce a tracking number, and it shows that it was headed towards you, it's a mishap, and positive feedback is warranted.

If no tracking info, they're trying to pull a fast one, and a neg would be appropriate, with the "tried to back out of deal by claiming it was shipped, then never shipping" type comment.

around christmas time the post office gets sporadic with some things

I would wait another couple weeks -

tracking number on a $3 item?

his feedback shows sending dollar items

what you going to do if it shows up in a couple days?

oops seller, sorry for being an azz

but I can't change my score/feedback

and it may affect your eBay fees for a few months

Delivery Confirmation is only 19 cents for First Class, and is unavoidable if shipping through eBay and Paypal. He's charging $2.95, and that would cost about $2.26 (maybe less) in postage.

Buyers can revise feedback, and have been able to for several years now. All the seller has to do is send a revise feedback request. Voila! No more negative.

It is a $3 item – just take the refund and move on, don’t bother with any feedback. If he gives a refund do not leave a neutral – that is petty. You have no proof it was never shipped and it is possible the post office lost it. His shipping costs were high so he could have paid for tracking however most wont on something this cheap.

+1

+2

If someone is willing to do this on a $3 item, they're willing to do it on a $3,000 item. Leaving "less than positive feedback" may give them pause about doing it again.

Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever cannot be trusted with very little will be untrustworthy with much.

I just had an experience with a seller on eBay that is kind of similar. In my case I bought a coin listed in AU condition, but when I received it, it was more like VF. I contacted the seller and complained. He said he would issue a full refund, which he did (including shipping) when I returned the coin (along with grading criteria from red book) . I chose to just not leave feedback. I can't say for sure that he was trying to pull a fast one....someone once told me never assume intent to harm when it could be ignorance....seems like good policy to me.

To be fair and honest---If you do get your refund back, I would give him a neutral. He failed to ship yet you got your money back. It is a compromise.
I agree with that. Put a block on seller later as well

To be fair and honest---If you do get your refund back, I would give him a neutral. He failed to ship yet you got your money back. It is a compromise.

How do you know that he failed to ship ?

How do you know that he failed to ship ?

Thats the issue when a seller does not include a tracking # or delivery conformation. BUT Its not just dishonest sellers, buyers are crooks too. Last year a buyer filed a case against me claiming I never mailed the item. The USPS tracking said delivered. he said someone may have stolen it. But then 3 weeks later That buyer lists the item he bought from me on ebay and claimed it belonged to his father and he needs the money for funeral costs. He listed it for $200 more than he paid for it. Long story short, ebay closed his account, I got refunded, and I took him to court for fraud and made him payback what I refunded him and give me back the item.

Now to all the sellers on ebay: Do you have buyers who you leave feedback for after they pay, but the buyer never leaves feedback?? I currently have 5 buyers that received their items 2-3 months ago and havent left feedback, BUT are still buying items. Feedback is SUPPOSED to be a 2 way street. but some buyers dont care to leave feedback and its wrong on many levels!

When I sell something and the buyer pays I leave positive feedback. If I get feedback in return that's fine

When I buy something I only leave feedback if the seller gave me feedback when I paid.

Works both ways....

I told him that it may be delayed by the post office, and I will wait and see if it's delivered in the next week. Rather than go with that, he is insisting on a refund, which seems very odd.

In any event I will wait and see if it arrives in the next couple of weeks. If you took a look at the item, not only did I get it cheap (the only reason I bid on it, as I just stumbled on it a few minutes before auction ended) but there is a chance the nickel is a cameo.

In any event if it never arrives, I will likely give a neutral feedback because whether true or not my perception would be that it was not shipped. Should it arrive, then the feedback would obviously be positive.

Jim, you have a binding contract on this set. That's the position you're in. If you don't get delivery, he should, at the minimum, put you in the position you were in before he accepted your offer. If he at least does that, you should mention it in your feedback, but also that he accepted your money, and failed to deliver on the item. Just telling you what I'd do. Look, good luck. Hope it turns up.

Jim, you have a binding contract on this set. That's the position you're in. If you don't get delivery, he should, at the minimum, put you in the position you were in before he accepted your offer. If he at least does that, you should mention it in your feedback, but also that he accepted your money, and failed to deliver on the item. Just telling you what I'd do. Look, good luck. Hope it turns up.

For an item like this, I think that is overkill.

Likely scenarios are:

a) Seller shipped as stated, didn't use paypal shipping, but just stuck in some kind of mailer w/ no delivery confirmation and minimal shipping. Unit got lost in transit/damaged/etc. Will remain a no-show.

b) Same as above, but will show up eventually, if there was enough to identify the delivery address if mailer was damaged.

c) Seller sold other things, had a lot going on with the holidays, had spouse/family helping, unit never got sent but got misplaced lost. Seller looked but for a $2.40 item, didn't really care to spend too much effort in finding when other things are going on that have more value to him/them. Easiest way to handle is to give refund (offered and refused so far)

d) Same as above but if seller has similar proof set (same year) ship as a replacement.

e) Someone else noticed a possible cameo, offered more, and set went "missing". Same boat as c & d above but in this case, the seller is being dishonest. No real way for the buyer to know and, in this case, the solutions are the same as solutions for c & d above as well. Refund or replacement..

Those are what I see are really the solutions available. Now, since the OP seems to want the set because it is cheap, then, IF the seller has another one, I believe he should send it out as a replacement. Unlike some, I don't unilaterally attack ebay sellers and think they should go out and buy a replacement in order to satisfy a lost sale. Unless they are a business operating on ebay. For the casual seller/collector just selling, then it is what it is if they don't have any more available.

The problem, if the cameo nickel becomes the main point, is that even a replacement set wouldn't satisfy that.

So, in a case like this, over a, literally, a couple of bucks, if I didn't feel the seller did things dishonestly, I would get my refund and move on and not bid with that seller anymore.

To quote "binding contract" or anything else, for a $2.40 object, is just overkill, imho. Things happen and as long as the seller isn't trying to steal the money, and the buyer gets 100% reimbursed, and there is no inclination of funny business, then I would just move on.

You can't force people to leave feedback. I wouldn't get upset about it, because there's nothing you can do. I'm just happy for the feedback I get.

RockMyAmadeus

The problem with buyers not leaving feedback is that someone like myself who is just starting out selling on ebay, after just buying for a few years, is that paypal holds your money until they get a delievery confirmation and the buyer leaves possitive feedback, which as you know builds up your %. The better your % the faster paypal will release your money into your account.

Dave

Jim, you have a binding contract on this set. That's the position you're in.

And??? How do you suppose he enforce this binding contract? You don't have any proof that he didn't send the coin, and he returned the money. What more could you want? There isn't really anything he can do (absent leaving feedback which would be petty given the lack of proof); that's the position he is in. He has no other remedies available. I think further contact after a refund has been issued would be petty at best.

If you don't get delivery, he should, at the minimum, put you in the position you were in before he accepted your offer.

He did; he issued a refund. Given this was mentioned in the original post, I'm not sure of the context of this portion of your post (i.e. what you intended since he was already made "whole" again).

If he at least does that, you should mention it in your feedback, but also that he accepted your money, and failed to deliver on the item. Just telling you what I'd do. Look, good luck.

You have absolutely no idea (nor could you prove) that the seller never mailed the coin. USPS has now lost two of my packages in the last month. It's the holidays and things happen. Leaving feedback would be petty and it will come off as a :censored: thing to do if you are doing it in spite.

You can't force people to leave feedback. I wouldn't get upset about it, because there's nothing you can do. I'm just happy for the feedback I get.

RockMyAmadeus

The problem with buyers not leaving feedback is that someone like myself who is just starting out selling on ebay, after just buying for a few years, is that paypal holds your money until they get a delievery confirmation and the buyer leaves possitive feedback, which as you know builds up your %. The better your % the faster paypal will release your money into your account.

Dave

Oh, I know. And I would never tolerate that situation.

Unfortunately, you still can't force people to leave feedback.

As eBay has shown in their own studies, when sellers don't sell because the "price was too low", or the item actually gets lost, or broken, or whatever other reason a seller may have, buyers get annoyed and walk. eBay wants to keep buyers buying. That has been one of the cornerstones of why eBay was successful in the first place: buyers were assured that the items they won or bought would show up.

I know eBay winks twice and ignores this policy when it suits them, and there are therefore a lot of folks who don't understand this major difference between eBay and regular online retailers, but it's still on the books.

Refund or not, it's 2012...there's no excuse to not be using delivery confirmation, other than to provide a convenient "oops...must have gotten lost" when the item doesn't fetch the price wanted.

This is precisely why the feedback system was invented. The dollar amount is irrelevant.

If one "moves on" to another seller who happens to pull the same kind of nonsense, how likely is the buyer to return for a third try...?

As of today, Item has not been rec'd. Seller sent refund.

I have left no Ebay feedback from me or have rec'd any email from Seller.

I wouldn't leave any feedback. If the "lost" item reappears on eBay from the same seller, then I would leave feedback.
\

As lousy as the photographs are, how could you tell if it was the same set? Cameos tend to come in "runs."

If the "lost" item reappears on eBay from the same seller, then I would leave feedback.

Well, that's the thing. The next time it could be an SVDB he contracted on and wants and isn't getting any P.O. confirmation on, either. Perhaps he learned something, here. Whatever the case, glad he's content with the outcome on this one.