• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Color -- pleasantly surprised

4 posts in this topic

As many of you may know, I have been putting together a topical set of coins bearing the image of the horse prominently. A historical bunch of coins which bear a rearing horse (the Saxon Steed) come from the German states dating from the 1600s all the way through the mid to late 1800s and even on the Notgeld coins of the early 1900s from Westphalia.

Long story short(er), I am always looking for coins on eBay, and these Saxon Steed coins are a favorite of mine. Last Monday I bid on and won a 2 Mariengroschen from 1740 Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel. This is a small silver coin, about the size of a US Lincoln Cent. My point is not so much about this particular coin type, but rather the pleasant surprise I got today when the coin arrived (see pictures below). The 1st set of pictures is the pictures the seller had (actually not horrible in the scheme of eBay pictures, but a little washed out). The 2nd set of pictures is my attempt at imaging the coin, and the 3rd set of pictures is the dazzling rainbow of colors one sees when tilting this coin under an OttLite.

I'd love to see other's examples of coins they have purchased and were pleasantly surprised when they received them in hand and they were rainbow beauties!

Cheers, and Happy New Year to everyone!

EDIT: For those who are curious, this coin is graded AU58 by PCGS, and resides in the newer PCGS version of their edge viewable holder.

119664.jpg.f379592868387b1441fd0c685538df1f.jpg

119665.jpg.70445fa66aa97d5632f5f3e303c42d80.jpg

119666.jpg.369701211e19bfb22a24e77412f2bf90.jpg