• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noow's almost completely worthless experiments - #3 and 4

90 posts in this topic

Schatzy- is that a holder crack in the reverse photo?

I do not see how the slab is not waterproof unless the holder is cracked (My ncg holder had an edge chip and it did not let in water.

Post what you [insert banned list and others]guys want. I have figured out that you just enjoy trying to bump me around, in a most childish fashon.

You mean like when you didn't like a post and you turned to PMs to threaten to have at least 1 member banned by the mods?

You like to think you can get people banned when they speak honestly about what you are doing.

the folks that you are complaining about are being constructive and helpful and good members. I've watched a number of them over the years and always found them to be helpful and good-natured, but the way you act childish and lash out at them, and others, shows that you have no desire to fit in, but you just want others to do what you want, how you want it.

Now that you have found that the slabs are not waterproof, you should also test them to see if they are gas proof as well. I am sure some members could suggest some good gasses to try ;)

Bochi, I "threatened" that you could be banned because of your unkind comments to me in the public foums.

It is already proven that the holders are not airtight.

I do not see how the slab is not waterproof unless the holder is cracked (My ncg holder had an edge chip and it did not let in water.

You are seeing the water in the slab (i.e. the boundary of a pocket of water is creating a shadow). Slabs are NOT waterproof.

No that is the water under the slab. There is no cracks what so ever in the slab. The coin was just slabbed less than 1 month ago.

This is from NGC website. Source Link

Q. After encapsulation, can the appearance of a coin change over time?

A. Yes. In independent testing, the NGC security holder has been proven as the most effective grading service holder on the market today in minimizing the effects of oxidation. Even so, the NGC holder is not 100% airtight. Therefore oxidation, a normal process where air reacts with the surface of a coin, can continue after encapsulation. To further limit environmental hazards, we recommend storing your coins in a temperature-controlled, low-humidity area such as a bank safety deposit box. Be sure to check with your bank for rules and regulations concerning the storage of these items

Thanks! I put a note in the first post telling the results, though I don't see your point in youe 2nd quote?
(shrug)

the NGC holder is not 100% airtight. Therefore oxidation, a normal process where air reacts with the surface of a coin, can continue after encapsulation.

I did an experiment too

I tried acetone to clean off the junk on my slab

I would not recommend it as now the slab is cloudy white and I can not see the coin

But maybe the slab I had was not typical,

noow could you try it on a couple of yours?

I did an experiment too

I would not recommend it as now the slab is cloudy white and I can not see the coin

Not sure if you are serious or being funny.

Hopefully the latter. In that case... lol

Thanks! I put a note in the first post telling the results, though I don't see your point in youe 2nd quote?

As it is pretty obvious what it means, it does help to explain quite a bit about you......in that you fail to understand it.

Please, if any people are coming to this thread for knowledge, with a real desire to learn - SLABS ARE NOT WATERPROOF

They are also not airtight. Be very careful with water or chemicals near your slabs.

Are they Rad Hard? If we don't know maybe noow can run some experiments for us. :devil:

jom

As it is pretty obvious what it means, it does help to explain quite a bit about you......in that you fail to understand it.

Waterproof.

Airtight.

Two completely different things.

^^

Air is less dense then water... and also it is inside the slab, so airtight is not waterproof.

noow is okie in my book

and i will cut new collectors some slack and others also

it is all in good comradery on here and i can learn something from every post

noow is okie in my book

and i will cut new collectors some slack and others also

it is all in good comradery on here and i can learn something from every post

michael, I disagree. Noow is purposefully posting wrong information, misleading new collectors who legitimately want to learn, and doing it in a purposefully pigheaded, stubborn, and argumentative way. If he legitimately wanted to learn, then I wouldn't mind some wrong info. But the damage he is doing is beyond anything else - he is a troll, he is a blight, and he needs to go.

...he is a troll, he is a blight, and he needs to go.

Agreed.

Maybe some of you don't know the definition of a troll . Jason is exactly correct in his assessment.

Are they Rad Hard?

Actually no. I have seen slabs that were destroyed by the irradiating they were doing of the mail back when they were zapping everything because of the anthrax attack. They were hitting them with enough radiation to cause them to yellow, warp, and sometimes even develop burns.

I did an experiment too

Not sure if you are serious or being funny.

Hopefully the latter. In that case... lol

Many types of plastic will start to dissolve in acetone - so never use acetone to remove something from a TPG slab - use a solvent or alcohol but try it on something else first.

Shatzky thanks for your input on the lack of airtightness or waterproofness of TPG slabs, clearly indicates that one needs something such as Intercept Shield products to limit even further reaction with air while coin is sitting in slab - of course that does not protect the coin from water...

Best, HT

After a ~1 hour dip in water (but is water dip? lol ).....

Experiment 3- NGC slabs: WATERPROOF, not buoyant

Experiment 4- PCGS slabs: WATERPROOF, not buoyant

Conclusion: It is safe to use water to wipe away sticker residue on PCGS and NGC slabs (except on fatty holders). They will sink in water.

Now that hologram on my NGC sample is cleared up from the sticky residue.

Up next: ICG slabs!

(No ANACS slabs in possesion)

Previous experiment results:

#1- 2x2s are not waterproof

#2-Mint Set cellophane is not waterproof

NOTE: Another member tested a slab, and that slab was not waterproof. The slab was submerged under a sink of water (5 mins), whereas my slabs were tested in a glass of water.

Alternate conclusion: The slabs can be dipped in water and cleaned, but should not be submerged at a considerable depth.

No noow, DON'T EVEN DIP A SLAB IN WATER, you just never know and once you have even a smidgeon of water in your slab, it ain't coming out without crakin'. So I don't agree that 'dipping' in water is advisable for any period of time.

...he is a troll, he is a blight, and he needs to go.

Agreed.

Maybe some of you don't know the definition of a troll . Jason is exactly correct in his assessment.

If you read the wiki quote, it says a troll is a person that posts extraneous or off-topic things, and things to provoke emotion. 1. this is my thread, and 2. I have not tried to provoke any emotion. You really need to improve your comprehension skills. Also, stop being immature and banning me. You are just banning me to show a disdain for me, but it is just wasting your time clicking the toggle button every time.

Physics, I don't know why you banned me other than the reason to make me angry, but that is not the case. You are the one who falsely called me a troll and started a 47-post long PM fight about how I was a new member and should just go away. You are also immature in the fact that you are speading rumors that I just post to raise my post count.

The more you post inflammatory things about me (and yes, that means you are a troll), the more you just make a fool of yourself. And to the others, the same to you. I would like you to know that I am not voluntarily going anywhere, and you are not doing anything about it.

Now that this thread has been driven off topic, I can now classifiy you [insert banned list] as trolls. :/

^^

Are they Rad Hard?

Actually no. I have seen slabs that were destroyed by the irradiating they were doing of the mail back when they were zapping everything because of the anthrax attack. They were hitting them with enough radiation to cause them to yellow, warp, and sometimes even develop burns.

Actually, I was pretty sure they weren't...it was just uh...um...a joke. heh

jom

Noow has been banned for a week. Breathe a breath of fresh air, and lets continue with our regularly scheduled programming.

It's a shame that he could'nt take some peoples advice to calm down and start learning instead of debating and be-littleing others. I had sent him a pm a while back asking him to change his posting or he will eventually wind up with no respect on these boards. He basically blamed his attitude on others and showed no remorse for his meaningless posting. Hopefully he will come back with a different attitude, maybe a few apologies, and start learning instead of trashing. I doubt it tho'.