• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help on value of coin given to my daughter?!?!??!

8 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me the value of a 1922 Liberty One Dollar coin? My father in law gave it to my daughter for Hanukkah and I have no clue as to its value (or lack of value)...

thanks!!!

It really depends on the condition, but at the very least it's worth a few dollars. That is probably the most common of "Peace" dollars (so named for the Peace inscribed below the eagle on the reverse), and it contains about .78 oz. of silver, so worst case would be the melt value of the silver (about $3 or $4), but it could be worth more depending on condition. I would encourage you and your daughter to go to the local library and look into various coin books to learn more (like the "Red Book" which is officially titled the Guide Book of United States Coins by Yeoman). Hope this helps!

Depends on the condition. More than likely it's circulated, at least a bit. This date is very common from all mints and would not bring a large numismatic premium.

Nice gift, tho! Perhaps she'll grow up to be the next Emory May Norweb!

I just noticed you live in Hoboken, I lived there in the early to mid 90s, on 5th & Bloomfield. I had a lot of fun there, nice town!

jtryka

I lived at 118 Willow ave until 1967 what a small world. Hoboken today is getting better Along the river front we now have marine plaza and some very nice yuppy type places. I visit there a few times a year.

It's pretty amazing. I left in 94 (I think) and moved just over to Jersey City in the Newport Towers, and then finally left in August of 97 to go to grad school in Indiana. I've only been back twice since then, the first time in 98, and after just one year I was surprised how much had changed. Passed through last year (that being 01), and was amazed yet again at how much development had occurred, and how many familiar places were gone! Certainly is a small world. Now I am in Seattle and loving it.