• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm officially sick of the PCGS forums.

43 posts in this topic

I'm not really disturbed by the off topic threads across the street or here. If a thread title has no information or the wrong information then I simply don't look. It would be a boon if people would put a little more thought and/or words into the titles to give potential readers a better idea of the subject. I'm sure I miss some good threads because the subject is not clear in the title.

Some of the off topic threads are fun, but again I want to know what it's about before I invest 10 or 15 seconds to open it. The old PCGS boards were great in that you could see the first thirty words of the subject without opening the thread.

It's not fair to treat someone like a child solely on the basis of his age, by the same token it can be disconcerting to have someone with whom you are speaking or disagreeing to suddenly start acting like a child. Many of the younger collectors are quite advanced for their years so this issue is far more important here than elsewhere.

The thing I worry about somewhat is that the trolls over on the other board will start coming here and bring the same nonsense over. I have to admit, I've been wavering. I have two submissions at PCGS right now, but I'm beginning to be tempted. I've heard many good things about NGC's customer service and I just wonder what I should do. The other board does get more posts than here, but is that enough?

What I would like is a forum to learn and share. I have recently been learning about the mint process and error coins. Sometime I would like to share what I've learned. And I would like to read the posts of others who have read and researched things. I guess when I make the switch, it'll probably be for good.

Neil

Well, I do the opposite of KK, in that occasionally now I will read the CU forum (when I have a spare 4 hours), but I will only post over here. I have noticed a lot more quality members are departing from over there, so maybe that will be somewhat of a wakeup call.

>why not post on both?

I've tried that before. I just don't have the patience to wade through everything on both. And what I've been looking for is to grow and learn and share. I've learned a lot from the other boards and I haven't been here long enough to learn anything yet. But working with two boards is tiresome. The way I am, I have to pick one and go with it. When PCGS had its corporate shakeup a while ago I wavered and nearly came over here permanently. But I changed my mind and stayed. Still, I've been evaluating what I'm in the hobby for and so on and I don't know which direction I want to go. And since the registry here accepts PCGS coins, I won't have to worry about the registry impact. I don't know. Still debating.

Neil

nwcs .... I would love to hear what you learned about the minting process and stuff! smile.gif

I think this board is actually better for that type of information. Sure it moves slower, but many of the posts are longer, more thought out types of posts.Threads dont drop off the face of the earth as fast, giving people with less time the ability to see them, read them and comment!

I have learned a lot from the folks here, and look forward to be able to learn from you as well. smile.gif

I like to play on both sides of the street. I ignore the threads on both that don't interest me and pay attention to the ones that do. Usually, between the two, there's enough to keep me interested!

>Do both now, and eventually the one you like less will simply take up less and less of your energies...

I think that's what I'll probably do. At least until I get my last shipment at PCGS graded. Then I'll probably make a final decision. But nothing has dampened my coin collecting spirits! Just the nonsense and innuendo which eats away at the comaraderie I've seen amongst collectors.

Although I do have to say I like the feel here a little better. And being able to discuss thought provoking things is quite appealing!

I'll try to come up with an interesting post on the mint process or some aspect of it on Wednesday. smile.gif

I think a mint process post would be excellent for all of us. I'm also interested about the dies and stuff. There are so many varieties out there, I want to know how some of them were created and the such. Looking forward to it.

Greg,

I've kept out of the comics guys vs the coin guys things since day one, but......

now I'll throw in my 2 cent piece;

In the early 90's I started a mail order comics business as a side line to the coin business that I'd been in for about 15 years at that point. I didn't collect them as a kid, but I didn't collect coins either so that didn't really matter to me. I did collect stamps as a child believe it or not! crazy.gif Anyway, In partnership with my oldest sister, I built this business up to a level that required more time, effort, money etc, and coins were kicking on all cylinders so we had to make the difficult choice to shut it down. I only wish I had my books back! frown.gif

It was, and is, a fantastic hobby and business. There are some absolutely wonderful, interesting and intelligent people in it. Doctors, lawyers, celebrities and even prominent coin people to name a few. The first person that sold me a book was an owner in a prosthetics and orthodics business, and one of the nicest guys I know. As a group, they may at times appear child-like to on-lookers (and most would consider that a compliment) but it is simply their passion for what reminds them of their childhood and what allows them to escape the reality of the "real world" that we all grow tired of occasionally.

Like the coin hobby, intelligence is definitely not lacking in the comics community. I don't know any young collectors of comics real well. The people I know range from 25 to 75 years old, though there probably are some younger posters as well on these forums.

Coin collecting is in many ways the "King of all Hobbies", but to the skeptics of comics I would offer this challenge. Attend the annual San Diego ComicCon in the summer. It is the ANA show equivelent but with 3 times the exibitors and multiples times the attendees, in all shapes and sizes. Even assuming you have no interest at all, if you leave their after the first day without being somewhere between impressed and exhilarated I'd be shocked. I've been to 3 or 4, and a feeling of awe still comes over me.

John

John,

This is the COIN forum! wink.giftongue.gifgrin.gif Actually, I collected comics as a kid, but unfortunately my mom didn't view them as she did the "money" I kept in books, so they are now history! One of the more interesting threads I read across the street was the one on our other hobbies, and there were a lot of different ones. I doubt any of us would list coins as our one and only pasttime. So I guess it would be nice to give the comic boys a break once in a while.

As for the other side of the street, I still look (addictions are hard to break!) and it's somewhat unsettling how many good folks are leaving, or at least contemplating it, though that is only good for this forum. It's interesting to see all the pleas to stay, but I wonder if any of them mean it? My guess is that a few hours later, they don't even notice, and are back to the same games and nonsense. Heck, I doubt more than a dozen people know that I left much less care, since the thread announcing my departure was buries within a half hour. Of course I wasn't as popular as most. My expectation is that many of the folks leaving or thinking about it won't, a few will leave and come back later, and some will be gone for good. It's sad though, kinda like Gresham's Law for people.

Neil, as for your posting on the minting process, I would love to hear it. I've seen the specials on the Discovery Channel (or was it the Learning Channel) and was amazed how fast modern coins are produced (no wonder the quality is lacking!) as well as the fascinating process the RCM uses to make gold maple leafs. I would love to know more, especially on the minting processes used in the early 19th and 20th century. Looking forward to your posts!