• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm officially sick of the PCGS forums.

43 posts in this topic

I can't stand the sight of the name Pepperdoodles anymore. Is it driving anyone else crazy? I looked on the forums, and all I see is junk anymore. The quality has severely gone down. I hope these forums never be like that. I say we get some new coin posts in here. smile.gif Has anyone got any new coins lately? I got an absolutely awesome 1891 Seated Liberty Dime. The grade in the auction stated AU, I got the coin and it has a weaker strike, but still nice. There's hardly any marks on it. I think it might go maybe MS-60. I'm always on the lookout for nice AU seated coins, sometimes they're just so hard to find nice. Oh well.

PD will be gone from the forums soon enough. He is clearly an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and he is just digging his own grave.

Give it a few days and everyone will move on to the next eBay scumbag.

"Anyone got any toned Peace $$$? "

Actually, I have a black Peace Dollar. I like them. I also love the purple ones. I just never seem to have enough cash when they pop up. frown.gif

I haven't been around either of the forums very long, but am quickly becoming more adjusted to this one. I don't like the way it drives nearly as much, but it's at least coin related most of the time.

I did post one rather useful tidbit this evening in response to a question about RPMs, and it seems to be going down the list without notice. I'm not looking for attention, but dammit when I go to the trouble to post a few paragraphs of useful numismatic information, it would be nice if the originator or "someone" would post that they read it and got something out of it. At least that much would let me know the trouble was worth it. Ya know??

I can't think of anything I've picked up or found lately of note, so I'll close this post here.

While you may be sick of the pepperdoodles threads on PCGS, it does serve a usefull purpose in warning potential buyers about his practices. And how hard is it to avoid a couple of threads? I see threads all the time I am not interested in, and I just ignore them instead of running to another forum and complaining about it.

K5AZ, you make a point, but there are a number of posters there that have a narrow interest in the hobby and more of an interest in being heard and showing off who has more testosterone. Friday afternoon I saw a great post by Shylock and by the time I got home I had to hunt for it. It had been buried by the various ebay threads and other non-related to the forum threads. Sadly there is a hand full of members who would rather be funny, smutty or wanting to flex their muscles and not their brains. It should be renamed the comical-coin forum, sorry not trying to offend the comic guys. grin.gif

I have to agree with Mike, late last year/beggining of this year the board took a turn for the worse and is still heading on the path down. There are more useless or completely off topic threads listed then ever before. It is very common to have to go thru a couple of pages to find anything of real interest.

Braddick used to start dozens of thought provoking threads over there, but I've only seen a few lately (unless they've simply been drowned out in the ebay mess). We had the chance to get him over here, which would have been quite the coup, but he tangled with the comic guys and hasn't been back much. frown.gif

Well, I for one am done over there, you can only swim upstream so long before your just get tired and float back down with the rest of the sewerage. I appreciate this forum more, many complain about the slowness, but I just don't have an extra 6 hours a day to wade through the eBay/Pepperdoodles/PCGS ripped me on this 98 Kennedy grade/Moderns suck/Classic guys are mean and destroying the hobby/I found a real bargain on this plastic threads. When I get home from work, I can spend half an hour on these boards and usually learn something new. And yes, sometimes I get angry and frustrated and sometimes I post stupid things, but no one here has yet personally attacked me for doing it. I am done over there, and I don't plan to go back, and the saddest part about it is that no one will ever notice I'm gone.

• Administrator

The comic guys have been reined in. The level that was going to was inappropriate, and while it took a time or two making the point, I believe the point has been made. Although I'll say that Braddick appeared to be enjoying the exchange in the early to mid stages. wink.gif

The comic guys have just seemed to have taken a different approach. They are now using logic and facts to make a persuasive argument all while attacking the opposing side's point of view and not the person.

This approach is quite enjoyable for those of us who enjoy a good argument. Just look at the cloning thread. Lots of opposing views, but not one mention of that guy Richard.

I collect Peace dollars and have some toned ones, but not as dark as you describe. My quess is that most of the darkly toned dollars were dipped at one time or another. If I see any dark ones, I will alert you. tongue.gif

Don't be sensitive about responses to your posts. Often the topic changes and people go off in a different direction. All of us have responses that are never responded to.

yes i am really tired of all this salt and pepper crapola on the pcgs forums

it seems to me that

the more narishkite and non coin related the post is.......................the more responese it gets!

i have seen many great coin posts where i could learn something or discuss something coin related and it hardly

gets any hits or no posts to the thread with some good coin info to learn from

too bad the pcgs forums have not improved with age but keeps getting worse and worse with more narishkite

everyday and narishkite is german/yiddish for nonsence gibberish crapola

really too bad.................................ngc boards currently is much much better coinwise!!

sincerely michael

Want to show the CU foum that this forum is better than theirs dont talk about them, I think it pathetic that this forum talks half about coins half about the other street! I thinks you guys give your self way to much credit, there is alot of scam pointing out over there but I cant tell you how many people have been contacted about a counterfiet coin and saved the person money. I see much more knowledge over there than here. All I see over here is trivia question, the CU foums sucks, And a few topics from a month ago. Sorry for being so blunt but I cant say how annoying it is to have a bunch of people sit around saying how they are better than other places, Because no troll would want to go over here it would take a month to get a reply to his annoying posts. How often do u guys see a thread across the street saying we r sick of the NGC forum. U guys just keep saying that you are better and maybe someday u will believe it.

I'm outta here.

The comic guys have just seemed to have taken a different approach. They are now using logic and facts to make a persuasive argument all while attacking the opposing side's point of view and not the person.

Are you feeling OK?

The threads I've read by the MOST of the comic guys seem to be written using childlike logic at best. I honestly feel most of them are very young. Some of the things they say (lotto thread is a perfect example) is filled with a line of thinking that could only come from people who haven't had to live in the real world.

I don't see KK's comments that way EVP, he has a valid point in that we do spend an inordinate amount of time and effort bashing PCGS forums for their lack of depth and content, while we haven't actually been doing a whole lot better. It's not a personal attack on either side, but only meant to improve the overall content here. It might be nice if we went back to taking the high road with some more educational posts. I for one would appreciate anyone giving a beginner's guide to Overton numbers, and similar such systems in my pursuit of Bust Halves (and yes EVP, take that as a challenge!)

Jeff,

I do see where KK was correct in saying that we seem to bash the CU forums too much, and we're not above reproach here ourselves. But, his ``I'm outta here'' sign-off is a clear indication that he got pissy over something that wasn't directed toward him.

As for the Overton attribution, I should confess that I hate that particular series because the Overton book is terrible for attributions. Now that I bought the Peterson book, maybe I'll enjoy that series again.

I'll see what I can do... (Perhaps in the form of subsequent trivia questions!)

EVP

Trivia can certainly be educational, but I am really looking for just a primer, remember I am a total newbie, and I'm not even sure what a lot of it means yet. Maybe a thread on just some of the basics would be helpful, so I and other could more intelligently pursue our education on the series. If you don't like Overton, pick your favorite, since I know none of them! As for KK's sign off, I think you are reading too much into it. A lot of us say things we may not mean, and often regret, and I think this is more a sign of frustration than anything else.

For anyone that this post offended, I didn't mean it in an offensive way. I was just trying to get this forum back on topic of coin talk. Please no one take this post the wrong way. I would love to learn about Overton and Sheldon numbers. Can anyone give us a crash course on them? Thanks.

I think it pathetic that this forum talks half about coins half about the other street!

Attack language - whatever point he may have had was irrelevant after this line. He may have had a valid thing to say, but since he chose to phrase it like this, I lost interest in his opinion. Perhaps if he stuck around and contributed, rather than zipping in, leaving his "spore" and zipping out.

I agree TD, but you have to remember he is just a kid so someday when he grows up he will better be able to understand the English language then he can reread the post here and realize no one said people here are better. This post is more about how the other forum used to be a good forum for coin topics but lately has turned into a RCC wanna be. Also when you consider the fact that just about everyone here posts across the street but prefers the coin oriented threads this board is dominated by instead of the typical RCC type threads that dominate the other board. I guess if he had been around before when the other board was at its height instead of the way it is now he would realize what we mean.

Maybe in addition to one's handle their age should be posted so we don't enter into a debate with a child. I am serious.

I take for granted that I am discussing issues with an adult only to realize it is a child on the other end of the computer. There are things that I would say to an adult that I would not to a child so perhaps we should be advised when the other party is a child.

KK, I have been a member of CU since early 1998 (long before PCGS came aboard) so I changed my handle to more accurately reflect my current coin collecting interests. As for the PCGS board itself I came over from the old board when it upgraded in Feb. 2001 so I first started posting back in 2000. Like I said before if you had been around in the good old days you would better realize how far that board has falling compared to the way it used to be. If we get lucky maybe it might start to return to the way it was with the majority of the posts being useful coin related posts where you can increase your numismatic knowledge. I know I have learned a lot from that board but it has been a while, also a lot of the more knowledgeable posters no longer bother to start treads because they are sick of all the garbage that currently permeates the board.

RR how long have u been on the PCGS forum? Because your title says u have been there since August, if so i have been there as long if not longer than you.

Hey KK, I've been there a WEE bit longer than you, and out of the 8,224 current members of the CU Forums, I've outposted all but SIX of them.

The noise to signal ratio across the street is not worth posting there right now. Even the informative posts gets buried in garbage or slapped down. There may not be the volume of posts here on these boards, but the noise is almost non-existent, so the signal gets through a little better.

And you complain that one of the only posts around here is the occasional trivia question. I can truthfully say that the I have learned something new about classic coins with almost ever single question posted, so it can't be all bad.