• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got burned again

37 posts in this topic

From your posts over the years, there is no doubt that you have an impressive track record with submitting coins; however, when you are dealing with modern coins where most are PR69/PR70 with large numbers of both, how can you be sure that your results aren't partially by chance alone? Is it truly possible to discern the difference between MS/PR 70 without the aid of magnification? If you can see an imperfection without a loupe, then I don't think the coin should be in a 69 holder any way.

Every year my avg goes up so I think I am doing something right. 3 years ago when I first stated I was less than 50% right. If you taped up the label on 10 coins and let me look at them, I am almost certain I would get at least 9 of them right.

Like I already said the big difference in grading a 69 vs 70 is in the frosted surfaces. When the coin is tilted just right, you can see very tiny frost breaks. This will usually lead to a 69 grade. Next you need to examine the fields and last but not least you need to check the rim for any nicks or flaws.

I actually have the hardest time figuring out a 66 vs 67.

The big difference between a 70 and a 69 is the frosting on coin.

Which flavor do the graders prefer? I tried putting chocolate frosting in a flip with the coin, but the graders still didn't upgrade it. Should I try strawberry next time?

Nope,......I only feed them coconut-pecan frosting!!

The big difference between a 70 and a 69 is the frosting on coin.

Which flavor do the graders prefer? I tried putting chocolate frosting in a flip with the coin, but the graders still didn't upgrade it. Should I try strawberry next time?

Nope,......I only feed them coconut-pecan frosting!!

For gold coins, I prefer mango with a touch of noni and papaya.

For silver, coconut works best with a pitaya and lychee finish.

For copper, you can't beat red grapefruit mixed in with tangelo.

That is why I sold my box unopened. Who has time to mess around with grading fees when grades come back like this?

True. I wanted a set for myself first. Everything else after that was going on the chopping block to improve my other existing sets (ie Morgans). If I knew then what I know now, I would have done the same thing.. better yet, I would have just bought one set and rolled the dice. After reading the first 2 weeks of results, I was confident that I would get good grades as well. Guess the folks who packaged these sets got careless as time went on. Im starting to hear more horror stories everyday. Still, Im very disappointed in the Mint and everybody who dealt with these coins.

I heard coins sliding around in my box before submitting as well and I also got a PR-68.

I think the mint did a fine job on the coins....I think the problem came when it was time for packaging.

Ultimately it is the mints resonsibility to insure the packaging phase is held to a high standard of quality control. (No matter who does it, Independent Contactor....whatever!) I think the packaging arrangement should have been different......they should have secured the 5th set better. If you think about it....the 4 sets on the bottom should have stayed together pretty well but the 5th should have had another "box" or something of the same size next to it to hold it in place. These sets are pretty heavy and wadding up a piece or two of paper and expecting the 5th set to stay in place was not a great way of finishing off the box.

Foot note.......

I was on a PCGS chat board earlier, it looks like the sets being graded later are not doing as well. My order # started with 38334XXX and I did end up with 2 sets of 70's. My order was placed just inside the first hour....when did you get your order in? I don't know if the grading standards changed or if the quality fell off in the middle through the end of production. With only 100,000 being minted I would think the quality would remain pretty consistent.

"You submitted an unopened box, what do you except. You are basically playing poker, and this time your hand lost."

Poker?........Lost?

Not really....even at these grades it's a automatic win. For $299 plus grading fees the profit is still about $300 per set at current prices.

Not a Royal Flush but definitely not a "Loss".