• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'll try a trivia question...

9 posts in this topic

This almost seems too obvious so it's probably wrong, but I'll guess the 1909 VDB cents with the designers initials on the reverse. They were then removed until 1918 when they were moved to the obverse. I am no Lincoln expert, but I started with them, and still have that set only missin the 09-S VDB, 14-D and 22 plain.

BIG woops! Umm, you're right, but that wasn't what I meant to ask for...huge brain stoppage on my part.

K...different question, looking for the same response...

The Lincoln cent has gone through many, slight changes since its inception in 1909, one occurring in 1909 with the removal of the designer's initials from the reverse. Another change was the addition of the initials to the bust in 1918. Of course there is the change from the wheat reverse to the memorial reverse in 1959, and other enhancements and changes in the design since then, such as the 1968 to 1969 design transition for the obverse, lowering the relief of the bust and changing much of the lettering. All of these changes, save two, exist on more than one year of cents. The first was the VDB change in 1909...the one I'm looking for was a complete galvano change from one year to the next, then again to the next, creating a feature that exists on only one year of cents...any guesses?

I'll post the answer tomorrow evening, give more people a chance to chime in.

OK, the only other one I can think of also has to do with the designers initials, when the FG for Frank Gasparro was enlarged on the 1973, and then reduced again for 1974, making the 73 a one-year type.

Jtryka got it right...in 1972 the designer's initials were just about completely worn off of the master die they had been using to create working hubs, so they decided to make a new galvano and create a whole new set of dies for 1973. The initials were made too large for comfort, so they trashed them after 1973 and went to a smaller initial version of the reverse for 1974...which were larger than the intials on the 1972 cent....so, three consecutive years, three minorly different designs.

For years I have been casually watching the reverses of all three years and have yet to find one that is a cross-type. When I do find it, I'll be hitting the ceiling. It's probably not worth much but looking for something for 20 years tends to create a bit of excitement when you finally find it.

Nothing to really give the winner, except the feeling that he knew something nobody else answered. Good going Jeff!