• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First Triva Question!

14 posts in this topic

Who is the Omega Man and what did he do?

Is this actually related to coins? If not, then my answer is this: the Omega Man, played by Charlton Heston, was an infected survivor of a devastating war and halocaust that left mankind on the brink of extinction. He tried to save mankind by safeguarding non-infected people and killing the infected ones.

Unless, of course, you're talking abou Jesus Christ who proclaimed himself as the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last.

EVP

If I recall, the most popular Omega couterfeit was the 07 HR Saint, with a very tiny omega hidden in the eagle's talons on the reverse. I beleive this person also did some other Saints, but I am not sure of other denominations.

It is thought that the Omega Man made as many as 20,000 examples of the 1907 ultra high relief $20 gold piece. And it is believed that many of these counterfeits could still be found today in some of the finest collections. The quality of the coins is amazing and can fool many who consider themselves experts.

The ANA counterfeit detection book does not mention a name, so perhaps this person was never identified. It seems fairly well known, so I would imagine the major services look for it. In addition to the omega, there are also signs of tooling on the dies used to create the fakes on the obverse in the hair and on the ray that goes through the top left corner of the first M in the date, and on the reverse between the M and E in America.

In the video, "Inside the U.S. Mint," by the Discovery Channel, these pieces were discussed, and a microscope with a monitor set-up is used to show the mark on a $20 coin. I do not believe the true identity of the maker of these counterfeits was ever discussed (or even known), but I remember hearing that it is believed that these ultra-high quality counterfeits were made somewhere in the middle east.

The mark pretty much is just like a capital letter omega from the Greek alphabet. It is always located on the reverse between the eagles talons just below the tail feathers. I have never seen one in person, but from the photos I've seen, it should be evident under 15x.

And the winner is TRADEDOLLARNUT. The Omega man is a conterfieter and makes some of the best conterfiet coins made. He has made at least 10,000 1907 high relief-{not ultra high relief} 20$ Saint Gaudens coins. He was/is so brazen that he put a Omega sign inside the eagles talon on the reverse. Some of these coins might even been graded before the alarm went up. So all gold collectors beware, and really look at any gold that you buy! I know I will. Thanks for all the answers.