• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting Ebay item if you like 1877 Indian cents

21 posts in this topic

I thought about bidding on this one, but it's a bit too much of an oddity/gamble. Some of the members here might be intrigued.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320795473959?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

My guess is the reverses are damaged (as if the obverses are not), but who knows?

Interesting marketing idea by the seller at least.

Step 1: Buy a grab-bag wheat roll that is "unsearched" (you didn't search it yet)

Step 2: Insert 2 cull key dates at the ends of the roll with the date showing

Step 3: Sell and make tons of $

What noow said - why would you want to bid on two really ultra low grade problem l877's? At the price this is, for a little more you can get your self one nice one that is certified by NGC or PCGS.

Here is an example that went for $833, which is what the ebay bid is on this roll at the time of this writing:

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=131144&lotNo=20015

Its a gimmick. The intention is to make suckers think there might be more of them in there. That roll was put together by someone from circulated Indians - the roll itself has zero significance. And I can guarantee you that roll is not unsearched.

Like I said, its a gimmick to drum up interest.

The typical "unsearched roll" on eBay has 3 steal wheats, about 5 indian head pennies, and the rest are common wheats...in my opinion there is no such thing as an "unsearched" roll unless you found it behind the desk at your grand parents house.

It's amazing how many 1909 VDB pennies ended up reverse facing out on all these unsearched rolls.

I'm in agreement with the comments posted. Seems odd that this would end up going for nearly $900, as one would think that someone spending that much money wouldn't be a likely candidate to be duped, but then again people bought Yugos didn't they!

I've bought from this guy before!

I got a problem 1916-D merc and a bunch of wheaties for $25. I can almost guarantee that 95% of that roll is wheaties and maybe a piece of silver.

I would be willing to bet that the 1916-D mercury dime was likely altered at that price (e.g. added mint mark, etc.), even with damage.

Unsearched rolls DO exist. I found an 1877 in VG-10 in a true "hoard" roll about three years ago.

I've also found a 1916-D dime in VG in a bag of junk silver.

But such unsearched items don't realistically exist on eBay.

Sigh.

I wish these sellers didn't feel the need to just lie in their listings.

Nothing on eBay is "unsearched", unless you have someone who knows not a thing about coins (NOT this seller) and found some rolls someone else left behind.

If they know anything about coins AT ALL, they will search them for key dates, because no one in their right mind would NOT search a roll for a potential key.

Sigh.

It's just the outright lies that are the worst.

It always surprises me that sellers will list obviously mucked-up 'shotgun' rolls.

Look at the ends of this roll. It's been rolled and unrolled I don't know how many times......

silly.....

Paul

Nothing on eBay is "unsearched", unless you have someone who knows not a thing about coins (NOT this seller) and found some rolls someone else left behind.

This is true of course...I was looking at dimes the other day and found a guy listing them as 1944-W...1945-W, I assumed he didn't know much about coins and you could potentially get lucky.

"I did not have sex with that woman" - Bill Clinton

"What maid?" - Arnold Swartzenegger

"This is an unsearched roll" - Moms-store

:boo:

If they know anything about coins AT ALL, they will search them for key dates, because no one in their right mind would NOT search a roll for a potential key.

You might be surprised. Many dealers who buy bulk coins in quantity do not bother to search them. Keys are so rare that it isn't worth their time to do so. So they sell them unsearched (by them). Sure they may miss an occasional key or semi-key, but they more than make up for it in the profits from the higher price received for the huge quantity of common bulk that they move.

You might be surprised. Many dealers who buy bulk coins in quantity do not bother to search them. Keys are so rare that it isn't worth their time to do so. So they sell them unsearched (by them). Sure they may miss an occasional key or semi-key, but they more than make up for it in the profits from the higher price received for the huge quantity of common bulk that they move.

Totally true. When a lot comes in to many shops with 1000 + wheats, most dealers will not search them.

Right...which was how I managed to find an 1889-CC Morgan and VF 1919 Walker for melt...and I know the time/cost analysis shows rapidly shrinking profits vs. the time cost spent to search, even if fabulous keys are found...

But this is eBay we're talking about... ;)