• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25th Silver Eagle Anniversary Coin experince in Las Vegas

9 posts in this topic

I went to a coin shop, without saying the name of the shop, over off Sahara Blvd. Had a 2011 Silver Eagle "S" Mint Mark from the Anniversary set. Wanted to trade it for currency since that's what I collect. Buyer couldn't find price in software, Grey sheet, then went to Ebay. Another person then came out, and offered $32 for it. Said it's basically a bullion coin. I asked if he had any or any sets, he said no. I told him they were going for more than that on Ebay now, and he informed me that the coin was worth just bullion since it isn't part of the set, nobody wants the coin without it being in the set. Send it in to get graded, then it might be worth more. Of course he's can send it in for me too. Then he tells me a fable about two butchers, one selling beef for $2.50 and another for $3.50 and a customer comes in and ask why is the selling it so high, and the one selling it for $3.50 says he'll sell it for $2.50 also when he's out. I have not idea what that has to do the coin. He doesn't have any 2011 S mint marks silver eagles or set, hottest item out there now, so why's he quoting beef?

What a criminal! Keep that coin or sell it to someone who needs one that collects. As for doing business with that guy, forget it. There are a lot of people out there that do currency and would love to have that ASE "S" mint mark coin. Viva Las Vegas!

He doesn't have any 2011 S mint marks silver eagles or set, hottest item out there now, so why's he quoting beef?

Because he is like the butcher who quotes a low price when he is out of stock. He has none of that hot coin so he tells everyone the low price and will until he gets some. Then suddenly they will be worth much more. If he had managed to buy yours the next person who had expressed and interest would have been told about how rare they were with only 100K mintage and that is why they are so valuable.

Weren't there 2 coins in the set that if taken out of the box, would be considerd bullion pieces?

One, the regular bullion coin, and then there is the one regular proof coin which is nothing special.

I went to a coin shop, without saying the name of the shop, over off Sahara Blvd. Had a 2011 Silver Eagle "S" Mint Mark from the Anniversary set. Wanted to trade it for currency since that's what I collect. Buyer couldn't find price in software, Grey sheet, then went to Ebay. Another person then came out, and offered $32 for it. Said it's basically a bullion coin. I asked if he had any or any sets, he said no. I told him they were going for more than that on Ebay now, and he informed me that the coin was worth just bullion since it isn't part of the set, nobody wants the coin without it being in the set. Send it in to get graded, then it might be worth more. Of course he's can send it in for me too. Then he tells me a fable about two butchers, one selling beef for $2.50 and another for $3.50 and a customer comes in and ask why is the selling it so high, and the one selling it for $3.50 says he'll sell it for $2.50 also when he's out. I have not idea what that has to do the coin. He doesn't have any 2011 S mint marks silver eagles or set, hottest item out there now, so why's he quoting beef?

I checked a few nights ago and the one with the "S" mint mark was going for $385.00. I would like to have the one with the "S" Mint mark but will not pay these prices. I have the one with the label " minted in S.F." but not the Mint Mark. I suspect that this was a marketing ploy by the U.S. Mint to mint the two separate coins. They get sales by the one without the mint mark and the label then sales for the one in the set with the actual min mark

This is the only Silver Eagle with the S.F. Mint mark. Even if you unseal the set and make the other three coins the same price as ones that already exist the one with the S.F. mint mark and the reverse proof are unique. Neither is a bullion coin,

Sounds to me like the coin is too new for the dealer to know what it's worth.

Is it really fair to call the guy a money grubber and a criminal?

I doubt it. How does anybody operating a coin shop not familiar with it. The Profiteers who had never purchased a coin in the series before this knew about it.

I'm not buying that they do not know what the coin is worth. Every one has been watching this and if your in the coin business, I'm sure you know about this set. I just felt really uneasy going into this shop. I started looking at their currency and after 10 minutes someone asked if I needed help. I showed them the coin and said I would like to trade it for some currency. I was pointed to two windows and told that that is where all buy/trades are handled, once they make an offer, they will give me a store credit form for me to trade with. So, I would have had to deal with atleast 2 different people, one to make the offer on the coin, then another to deal over the currency with. I felt like they had the shop running like a wheel, just grinding out customers, no real interaction or education. I don't think I would go back. And yes, I would wager they would have had my coin in the case marked at $450 as soon as it left my hand, no longer bullion but a rare find for them.