• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Little Help Please ====

46 posts in this topic

Rak,

What's up with you? I went and re-read TDN's first response to you, and I saw nothing to warrant your response to him.

You wrote that we're ganging up on you and siding with ``people whp post the most.'' Perhaps it is because we're all in agreement.

As for the noob moniker, perhaps it is because you're exhibiting all the signs of a noob. And, you should NOT consider being a noob an insult. We are or were all noobs at some point. Even Dave Bowers and the other greats of happy hobby.

As for the name calling, that is unfortunate. But, you pretty much started it first and you are also clearly the angriest. You took TDN's first response and read into a condescending, elitist attitude. And, that's pretty much what you called him.

If you want to whine and stomp your feet and storm out the room, please understand that no one here will beg you to stay. NO ONE. We won't wish you to leave either. You can safely assume that no one else here will do anything to sway you in either direction. And, if you do decide to stay, you can safely assume that we won't really care either.

Stay or leave -- you're choice, but don't think that your decision will make any bit of difference to anyone else here.

EVP

[edited to add the word NOT above in reference to the noob comment.]

And, you should consider being a noob an insult.

Freudian slip perhaps EVP? tongue.gif I really hope I didn't insult myself by admitting to being a bust half newbie!

I am sorry that Rak feels we were picking on him, but to be honest I'd be disappointed with anything less than the responses he received. Maybe we are elitists, maybe we are mean sometimes, but at least we are honest in our posts (for the most part). If you are really looking for uninformed cheerleading posts praising you for your business acumen, and applauding the latest method of separating other people from their money, then you must have meant to post this across the street.

As far as people jumping on a badwagon, that may be true, but I will say that I have disagreed with just about everyone on this forum at one time or another. If you really are honest with yourself, perhaps you might consider that it's not a bandwagon, but maybe we all agree on this one. Personally, I tried to help, but I really don't know anyone on the internet or elsewhere that likes to give things away for less than they are worth, and this is especially true in the coin world.

Do what you will, and best of luck.

If I knew where I could buy raw PQ coins for low ball prices , on the internet, I would have bought them all!!!!!!! I think RAK was just trolling us! He couldn't be that dumb????? confused.gif

I'm Kinda a Noob to Collecting , Can Someone tell me what the star on a NGC Holder means ?

Thanks In Advance . (Rak's first post on 11/25/02)

My, how quickly can one progress from self proclaimed Noob to self proclaimed expert? wink.gif

Hey, can't you guys imagine Rak trolling ebay looking for those auctions stating, "PCGS graded it MS 64, but I'm sure it'll upgrade to MS 65." or "Old green holder, upgrade candidate!!!"

You and everybody else. We all think that we are expert Cherry Pickers who can time and again beat the market. It does not work that way. It is a null suit game with odds against you. I have been collecting Peace Dollars for almost 40 years and consider myself as an experienced collector and grader on these. However, I still get fooled occasionally because of toning or coin doctoring.

I do not, as a rule, buy raw coins anymore except in special situations like a legitiment auction of an old collection. Even buying slabs, there are risks. I have a couple Peace Dollar sliders that would fool 95% of dealers. They have the luster, strike and look of a MS64 coin, but they are AU!

My advice would be to learn and read about the series that you wish to collect. I would start buying more common dollars and educating myself on what the particular dates and mintmarks of that series look like. This way, if you get burned, it won't cost you much. As you get more experienced experienced, start upgrading your collection with better dates and grades. Find yourself a dealer that you can trust and listen to what he tells you. tongue.gif

All I have asked is for is to be Referred to some good coin dealers on the web .

Rak,

You only need to know about one place, and that is Ebay. Do a search for "ACG" and you'll find all sorts of MS67 coins at MS63 prices. The dealers who sell these wonderful coins aren't exactly the brightest bulbs on the ol' Christmas tree, so i'm sure you'll be able to "rip" a few right out from under them! wink.gif

Andy laugh.gif

Guys,

At this point, we've probably said all the polite things we can possibly say to Rak. It's probably no use pressing home our point any further. He'll either agree, or he'll disagree.

And, it's his life. He can live it how he chooses, and it's no crime to disagree with us.

So, if it's ok with everyone, I ask that we just move on and let this thing die.

EVP

As I read all of the above post I cant help but be reminded of a gang of bullies harassing old people , or how easily people will follow the blind .

Say , That Guy asked a stupid question , where can he get ms65's at ms64 Prices , lets bash him for It , C'mon everybody.

Is this the mentality here ?

It's the Only Conclusion I can think of .

I should be mad at some of the statements above , but Instead I feel sorry for those that have nothing else to do or nothing to enhance their lives other then vent their frustrations at a forum on the Internet .

Maybe Its just me , But I would be ashamed of the last few post If I had wrote them.

Yes or No or No Post at all to the Question would have be Fine .

I've Read all the last few post and I can only shake my head and wonder what kind of people you are .

I apologize to anyone I have Offended ,

Good Luck In Your Endeavors .

Post -script : Rebuttal , There's people that have collected coins all their lives and never bought a slabbed coin , let alone one with a star on It , and I wont let the door hit me on my way out .

K6AZ's post from the other thread sums it up nicely:

I live very close to Paul Sims. I would strongly advise you not to buy raw, sight unseen Morgan dollars from him. Most of the nicer Morgans you will find slabbed these days. Yes, they cost more than Sims "bargain" prices, but in reality you get what you pay for. There is no Santa Claus in numismatics.

You can put just about any internet dealer's name in there.

Nobody bashed you for your question we bashed you for your attitude. Believe me, I've asked some very elementry questions on this board. No one has ever bashed me for being uneducated, after all, how does one better educate themself? By asking questions.

So it isn't the question that caused all us mean bullies to gang up on you, it was your arrogant, hostile attitude.

I just wish our secret about ACG coins wasn't divulged to you.