• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Little Help Please ====

46 posts in this topic

First Off , Thanks for your help on this .

Mostly Morgans and Peace - no less then ms60 , but i would prefer to buy 63 and up .

I would also buy just about any coin If its great shape , Cents , jeff's , etc , etc .

Pretty much anything I can get a deal on thats high grade .

Also I would prefer to buy this coins raw .

And Thanks again , Seems like i've spent the last few days on this computer looking for a new seller with no luck .

I'm not sure if this helps, but there is a company called "Cheap Slabs" and they seem to have some good deals on these sorts of coins, but none are raw. They are at Cheapslabs.com, just click on the link on the page for the Cheapslab store. For raw coins of this sort, I find the best place is often a local shop since you can look before you buy, and there is no shipping cost. Hope this helps!

There is a modest-sized dealership in Arizona, I think, called Regency. I forget their web site, and I haven't bought anything from them in quite a while (because my interests have changed).

But, when I did buy from them, I was a very satisfied customer.

Regards,

EVP

Also I would prefer to buy this coins raw

Hmmm.... do you have a strong desire to be separated from your hard earned wealth?

PQ coins at the lowest prices is an oxymoron. You get what you pay for in coins. Make up your mind which of the two you want and pursue it, but if you feel you are going to get a bargain in numismatics, think again!

You are far better off sticking with a respected dealer who will sell you the coins you want at a price commensurate to their quality and will be straight with you. Otherwise, you'll end up with a dealer that sells you low end junk at mid grade prices or mid grade "stuff" at high end prices. That's how you lose almost as much money as buying raw in the ol' slab game!

I am not of unlimited resources like some collectors , What I am trying to do is this , Buy what I would consider Raw MS65 Coins at MS64 Prices .

Get them graded and hope the percentage factor kicks in enough to at least be able to get a decent Morgan/peace collection without spending a min of 100.00 a coin .

What does not grade gem , then I will sell .

Sure , It would be nice just to be able to go out and buy any graded 65 and put it away for ten years, but I don't have that kind of loot to spend .

So I am trying to do it this way .

As you know you can go to ebay and buy alot of dates of Morgan's/peace of ms65 grade for under 100.00 .

Those coins came from somewhere , and the people at ebay selling them for that amount are making money which tells me there are sources out there to buy them cheaper then market price or below .

If they can get them and make money , seems to me that any collector should be able to get them also .

If you can buy gems with no second thought then I would say you are one of the lucky ones . Most of us , I would think anyway, have to make the best collection by our wits and not always by our wallet's .

I've been to every coin shop in my city and I have yet to get a fair deal from selling coins back to them yet .

And Buying is not much better .

Why is it a coin that you buy from a coin shop one day cost say 300 , but if you were to sell it the next day its worth barely half , I'll melt it first .

Coin Shops price's are dictated by coinworlds graysheet's and are totally free of any independent thought.

tradedollarnut , You almost make it sound like that a poor person could never have a outstanding collection of coin's .

Not all of the Greatest collections of all times were put together by people with money to burn .

I'm sure you could agree with that statement .

The suggestions Tradedollarnut put forth are so you DON'T burn your money.

A poor person can have a very presentable set/collection of coins, if collected properly.

If you run around and purchase BU Morgans, raw, chances are that a lot of those offerings will be au coins, and worth considerably less than your original, "bargain", purchase price.

Purchasing certifed coins from respectable grading co.'s greatly reduces that chance, although doesn't eliminate it totally.

Once you can grade coins for yourself, properly, at that point purchasing raw coins won't be such a gamble.

Rak,

While I admire your ambition, that is a seriously tall order! It would be almost impossible to do sight unseen (this includes scans over the internet too), so you would be forced to do it through dealers or shows. The best advice I can give is to look through as many slabbed 65s as you can just to see what the services look for, and then try your strategy at the next coin show that comes through your town. I'll be the first to admit that I have real trouble with grading Morgans expecially with the strike issues associated with the branch mint issues, most notably New Orleans.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the replys ,

Of course I would only buy one or two from a seller to test what i'm getting before ordering a roll .

I think I will have a percentage of about 60% or more on morgans coming back as ms65 once I submit them , but the problem still is finding dealers .

So I come back to the original post , can anyone refer any sellers on the web who are selling PQ Coins at the best Prices ?

Thanks as Always ...

Rak - I'll be blunt, and you may call me an elitist all you want, but frankly this is for your own good.

You have absolutely no chance of doing anything but losing all your money. Right now, if I were you, I'd go stick all my money into a stock fund and forget about coins. If you are naive enough to think that you, an obvious newbie, are going to be able to buy coins that other people are UNDERGRADING and giving away for less than their fair value ON THE INTERNET, you have no business being in coins and anyone who says anything different is just being nice or out to separate you from your hard earned cash.

Now, IF you want to put in the effort and get an education by going to shows and viewing how the respected slabbing companies grade or creating a relationship with a respected dealer and putting in the time and effort to actually learn something so you know when someone is separating you from your cash, THEN perhaps you'll have one iota of a chance of not losing your entire net worth to the sharks.

Blunt enough? Where is Greg when he's needed? wink.gif

Rak;

The only way you can do what you are talking about is learn what the grading companies look for, for a MS65 coin. You can sometimes pick out good coins at coin shows, but you have to know what to look for. As far as orignial rolls go , forget it. These have been searched to death!! You have been given good advice! No one is going to sell you MS65+ coins at low ball prices! As far as getting 60% of your coins graded MS65 , you'd be better off buying lottery tickets!!

Rak,

Hope this doesn't hurt your feelings, but I completely agree with TDN. If your goal is to make a few quick bucks, try moderns, much more fertile for quick profits as long as prices stay up (though this still takes a lot of work and experience). And there are a lot more truly unsearched coins being minted every hour. Then you could put the profits into some nice slabbed Morgans already in 65.

Rak;

The only way you can do what you are talking about is learn what the grading companies look for, for a MS65 coin

Thats exactly what I have been doing , I maybe i'm over confident about It but so far I have not done too bad .

I've Talked with alot of graders about this and there is one thing that they all say about a 64 and a 65 .

TDN , If you think that you cannot find raw coins on a regular basis that will grade ms65 then maybe you are the noobie , or have more money to spend then real knowlegde of grading coins yourself .

I can walk into DECENT Shops and come out 65's every week .

But back to my question that I cant get too many answers about , Who sells the best coins at the best Prices on the web ???

Thanks as Always .

Rak-

You ask where dealers get their coins from. There is no "secret source". People come to them all the time with coins to sell. If you want the people to come to you instead, then invest in opening a store, or do business at all the national shows for years until you develop a reputation such that collectors will think of you when it comes time to sell.

All I have asked is for is to be Referred to some good coin dealers on the web .

Nothing More .

Never Mind , Forget that I ever ask for help here .

It will Definitely be the last Time I ask for It and Probably Post at all .

I've been to every coin shop in my city and I have yet to get a fair deal from selling coins back to them yet .

Sounds like you are paying too much for overgraded coins. If you were ripping 65's like you say you are, you'd be getting them slabbed and selling them for profits.

I can walk into DECENT Shops and come out 65's every week .

I'm certain you can - too bad you're paying 66 money for em!

With all due respect - you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this. You come on the internet and ask where you can find a dealer who sells 65's at 64 prices. And you wonder why I say you're being stupid?

Hey guys - please point out to me the most stupid dealer on the internet - a dealer who's certain to undergrade and undercharge? What? They all overgrade and overcharge? Bummer, guess I'll go back in my hole.

I wasn't trying to be elitist, I was trying to save your stupid arse. If you can't see that and want to waste all your money, more power to you.

There are NO good coin dealers on the web for RAW coins, I'll be blunt too.

Even the major dealers of certified coins can't seem to scan a coin worth a damn, so don't count on ever finding a good source of raw material with scans. And grading from scans is hard, if not impossible.

So, with that in mind, you want to find good raw coins, you need to do it in person. If you want raw coins from the net, buy certified and crack them out. Otherwise, you will be returning a lot of garbage, and that's a hassle.

And don't forget that every time you walk into a store to sell coins, the dealer factors in their overhead, so you may not get the best price around. You want better prices, you have to sell them in person.

TDN , What part of ( Good coins at best prices on the net ) dont you understand ???

Then you want to guess at the prices I pay for coins ???

Then You have the nerve to call me stupid ???

Did you even read the First post on this Thread ???

I was trying to save your stupid arse
Well ,

Why dont you Kiss My stupid arse !

I can see why there is a NUT in part your name Now !!!

Actually, you probably can find 65's for close to 64 prices - but not raw. What you need to look for is an older holder where there's very little spread between the two grades. If there's only a $30-50 spread, you might find a few really PQ 64's that haven't been cracked because it's not worth the resubmission fee. I've got a MS63 Peace dollar that's absolutely gorgeous. I paid $23 for it and it's worth at least double that - but who cares? I'd waste twice that trying to upgrade it!

You are going to waste more money returning coins that don't make the grade than you ever are going to make by upgrading them. Dealers don't stay in business by undercharging and undergrading. If you are a newbie, take this advice to heart and pardon the bluntness. If you aren't a newbie, you should know better already.

What I am trying to do is this , Buy what I would consider Raw MS65 Coins at MS64 Prices .

You and forty million other collectors, bud. Good luck! Sorry I ever tried to help. Kiss your own arse, it ain't worth my saving.

Rak,

In my opinion, you're the one who started with the attitude. TDN and others truly were trying to give you good advice, better than what I gave you. They were actually looking out for you by trying to get you to realize that it'll be very hard for you to get what you want: which is essentially to get PQ coins for the least amount of money possible.

It does seem to me that you have a chip on your shoulders, and perhaps you should not be asking for help if you can't deal with the responses.

I told you about Regency. I was happy with them, finding them ethical and professional. But, don't expect to rip them either. They know what they're doing.

Now, you should understand this simple fact of the US coin market: if you're a newbie buying raw coins, then the odds of you coming out of this financially ok is close to nil. If, however, you're not a newbie, then you wouldn't be here asking this newbie-ish question.

Finally, you don't know TDN at all. It is true that he's a well-heeled collector. But, he's also a very knowledgeable and shrewd coin collector. And, he's a principle of a very successful and prominent coin dealership.

EVP

You post here asking for help finding raw coins, but then you say, "I can walk into DECENT Shops and come out 65's every week." Well, if you can walk into these shops every week and find the 65's why do you need our help.

TDN is giving you good advice intended to help you and you become hostile. Some of the best advice I've ever received is advice that I didn't agree with (at least initially). You have to look at the source and say, hey, they've been there, done it, maybe they know what they are talking about.

A guy who asks for help finding coins doesn't come across as being very knowledgable. You are probably a lot smarter than me, but I look at slabbed coins one grade apart and darn I have a hard time figuring out why they are different and I've listened to the more experience people here complain about how a coin came back a lower grade than expected.

To answer your question. The dealers that sell the best coins are going to be the most knowledgable and therefore will price the coins accordingly. Thus, you will not be able to make a killing.

If you want to find undergraded coins you will have to find an dealer or private individual that does not know how to grade.

Though I've been into buying higher end MS coins for over 25 years now I still can't go into any DECENT store and consistently find 65's for 64 prices....at least not ones to make money on. Every few visits I'll find something but in the long haul, unless you are getting access to fresh deals and collections, the occasional scores won't amount to a hill of beans. Most "DECENT" shops know enough to send out their good raw coins so they get first chance at the score rather than you. I only know of one shop in my state where the owner doesn't send out his coins. And that's only because he pays so little for them he doesn't care. But I also like it when I get to look through fresh PCGS/NGC returns where some % of the coins were graded very conservatively. Those I will buy. In some cases I would have offered more raw but now get to pay LESS due to holder bias.

I said this in 1990 after playing the crack out game for 2 years (and I did fairly well at it) that it made more sense to buy nice coins in holders and leave it at that. It takes skill enough to know what coins are nice in the holder. Today in 2002, I still say the same thing. The majority of collectors, and especially newbies, should be getting the best darn coin they can in a holder, and sit on it. You may have to pay strong for coins like this but in the long run, those absolutely killer coins for the grade will make you more money than all the average junk in holders. Those junkers will get you offers of 50% of what you paid, the killer coins will get you a profit if you do some research on what coins to buy. Forget the raw route unless like TDN says, you wish to lose all your money. For every raw coin you score on, the 3-4 others that didn't do well will knock you right back to square one or backwards. This is what I call "churning" and it gets you nowhere.

roadrunner

There doesn't seem to be an easy answer. Like the man said, it's tough to grade coins from a scan so landing good deals on the net won' be easy. It'll take time and travel to see as many coins as possible and find bargains.

It is curious as to why someone who can spot 66 coins for 65 prices at a coin shop would try to sell them the next day. Slab them and make a profit.

Is this how you guys act when a new guy to the forum asks for help ?

Call him a noob or stupid and then jump on the band wagon with the people who post the most ?

I'm new to the forum but not to coins .

I asked to be referred to sellers of PQ Coins at the best prices , Which I got two replies , the rest of the post where nothing more then insults and argumentative.

I asked for help , Not to be insulted and belittled by people that could have easily not posted at all if they didn't know any online dealers .

No wonder why there's not consistently new people staying for the long haul here at this forum .

What None of you have took into consideration besides myself is one thing ,

What is a ms64 to one seller is a ms65 to another , and the same with the grading company's.

I'm out of here , Good luck with your US Coins forum , You'll need It .

Ask NGC Guy's : If your Reading this , Thanks for your help , You guy's always gave Informative Information and the correct answers .

Rak:

With all due respect, you are making a mountain out of a molehill here. You indicated in another thread that you were buying (or thinking of doing so) from some of the Coin World boilershops. Big newbie mistake. Then you state that you are looking to buy 65's raw at 64 prices from online dealers. Big newbie mistake. Then you state that you've yet to get a fair deal selling coins back to the coin shops in your city. This indicates you are losing money on your purchases. You ask "Why is it a coin that you buy from a coin shop one day cost say 300 , but if you were to sell it the next day its worth barely half"? The answer is because you are buying raw coins and think you know what you are doing but are ignoring the very clear warning signs that you don't.

Granted, I don't know you and you very well could be the next John Albanese or Dave Bowers. Why don't you get some of your "rips" certified and convince us that you know what you are doing? If you are consistently outsmarting the coin dealers in your town, show us. I'll be the first to say "great job". But coming on here with a chip on your shoulder and inferring that you are going to go out and cherrypick great coins from internet retailers of raw coins is like waving a great big red flag in front of our faces and pardon us if we doubt your abilities.

Methinks thou art a lost cause, but maybe just maybe another newbie will read this thread and save their life's savings by not attempting your holy quest.