• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SOLD 25th Anniversary ASE Sets for sale or trade SOLD

55 posts in this topic

When DEALERS are buying these at $3500, what makes you think a collector wont be able to resell them? You need to check yourself before you wreck yourself.

What part don;t you understand about the fact that a collector would want only one set and would have to unseal the box to get it making them worth a great deal less?. A collector wants one set and can;t open the box which means he has to send all five in for grading and then try to sell the other four, If somebody pays $3000 for five and then $400 to send them in an grade them then his.her price is $3400 .Why are these choices so difficult for you to understand?

This dealer is buying @ $620 a set or $3100 per 5.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=811840&highlight_key=y&keyword1=25th

This one @ $600 a set or $3000 per 5.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=836143&highlight_key=y&keyword1=25th

Case of 5 sets ended tonight on ebay for $3750

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120809604177?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Case of 5 sets ended last night on ebay for $3760

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Sealed-2011-25th-Anniversary-American-Silver-Eage-Sets-ASE-25-Coins-/230700224878?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b6ce116e

Another ebay sale for $3655

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-2011-Silver-American-Eagle-25th-Anniversary-Sets-U-S-Mint-A25-HAND-/110774395683?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19caab2323

$3710

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-AMERICAN-EAGLE-25TH-ANNIVERSARY-SILVER-5-COIN-SET-5-SETS-A25-A25-/120810351260?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c20dbaa9c

Want me to keep going?

The sets you listed that went for over $3100 were all on Ebay. Ebay is not a stable part of the collecting community- silver bullion eagles were going for $40-$50 even with the big price drop. Also count in the % ebay/PP takes away. Plus these do not appear to be dealers.

I was just pointing out that the major dealers were not paying in the range of $3500.

Edited to add: I am not here to bash; just to point out a fallacy in the statement.

This is what I tried to tell him. There are people on E bay that will sell them for a percentage of the sale. There are people who will buy them from him for a fraction of the cost. Ampex gives him $425 or $125 more than he paid for the set. They have the distribution channels etc. It makes no difference what they are then getting for the set. A collector knows that they are gong to be worth less if the sets are unsealed and only needs one set so will not buy them. His only chance is the dealers for a 41% profit or somebody on Ebay that will take a percentage of the sale. If he did not have the distribution channels in place then he should have not bought the coins.

At any rate, he needs to get rid of them as soon as possible before people wake up.

Ankur,

It seems to me that you would make more money getting that box graded. There are plenty of us that would purchase the coins rapidly as singles or 1 full graded set. The longer you wait to grade the better chance you will miss the Early Release window which will lose a premium out of your pocket.

I try to purchase a average of $500 a month on my collection. That might be small potatoes to guys like you but it is my budget and after 2 years my sets are looking good.

Let me know when you get them graded and I wil see what you have that I want. All you have right now is a box and a pocket full of greif.

Later-------Rick

How much would you pay for a graded set?.People are already selling the S.F. Mint and the Reverse Proof for $350.00 and that is the raw state. . That is $700 for the two ungraded.

I don't know why the bashing of these sets are going on and the de-monetizing of them also. I bought my 2006 Annv set ($100), I opened them and when I had to sell them 2 yrs later I had no problem getting the going rate of $300 for them. The rev proof was the only key coin of that set. The Regular proof and W uncir had already been out. If I wanted another 2006 set, I'd still have to pay $300 to get one. That's the price you have to pay to get what you want. I don't think this 25th set will be any different. Yea 3 coins will be the same of those issued earlier, but buyers will still purchase these knowing it is a FULL set. After all the hype is gone and settled, the collectors will be the last ones that will pay the going rate for a nice opened complete set. And I'm still willing to bet these will stay at least around $600. For those that do not want to pay that will probably never have a set. I know that even if I was not able to get in to the mint for my one set, I would've been dissappointed also but I don't think that I would be criticizing those that did get them or degrading the set. It just seems to me that the people that didn't get a set are trying to justify thier bitterness by taking it out on people who did and degrading the set to see them as worthless. I would be sitting back, waiting for the flurry to go down, and then trying to save up money to get me a set when I could. JMO

You can always buy them on ebay if you would like. They are going for $3750 +.

Oh, and double would be $3000, I am asking $3500. You look like you're quite a smart one.

Another distinguished member of the Ebay Price Gougers Union. Good luck in your endeavors.

When an auction starts at $1, how do you call it price gouging when it sells for $3700?

So when you go to Target/Walmart etc to buy a DVD for $20 that costs them $5, do you yell foul then as well?

It costs for the materials for the DVD. There have to be Royalty payments for the artist onm the DVD. There are manufacturing costs. There are shipping costs and there are costs to Walmart for the Labor.

Buying a set for $ 300 when all of the above is already in place and selling it for $600 is price gouging. I can see now where your lack of understanding has created this situaton for you.

This accusation of "gouging" is non-sense. If the market thinks Ankur's price is too high he won't be able to sell the sets, right? A buyer has a freedom of choice. You are NOT forced to buy these sets so "gouging' is, quite frankly, an asinine comment.

As ridiculous as it is these sets ARE going for $3500 or more sealed (or about $700 apiece). Priced too high for you? Don't buy one.

I am not sure as I only buy one set of the series as a collector but I am pretty sure that if you buy 5 sets that they are not all individually sealed and packaged inside the same box.

Well, I only bought two sets and they were in the same box. Since I bought one for someone else I had to break open the box to get it...obviously. So it is certainly possible the mint is putting them all in the same box. In fact, the box I got could have held 5 sets easily.

jom

In order to get the special label for all five coins then you have to send in the box as you received it. By opening the box you have just made 3 out of five coins in each set common.

On the 10th anniversary sets the prices went sky high then dropped like a rock as soon as the people found out that they could not have them graded as a set when opened. Even the 2006-W has dropped in price! (10TH Ann)

the funny thing is that I called the mint and they had told me that ALL of the coins that were in the 10th Anniversary set WERE EARLY RELEASE COINS. They took them as they were making them to put into these sets as they were making them early that year. That is the Irony of all this.

I have four of those sets but I opened them to inspect them before I sent them off. I sent back three sets that were damaged. I still opened them and now am in the same position that I was in when I opened them in the first place. (Dummy ME)

Yes, I can see this as being one of those scenarios also. The price sky rockets, and then crashes. I am on the waiting list, and have been informed that I am still eligible if there is enough cancelations. I wait for that.

I also saw on ebay that there were people that had 25 sets confirmed and were selling them. I bid on a couple and the bids were cancelled.

I called the mint and complained about seeing one person having so many for sale, and not being able to get online or call in. I told them they dropped the ball big time on this one. I did want one but to keep my set current. But cannot pay that kind of price just to see it drop later.

As an example: The 2011-W burnished, I paid 60 plus for the coin as a subscription, and then go on line later to see it being sold for 50 as the price of silver dropped. I managed to get the early release lable but does it really add 10 dollars or actually 15 for the grading to the price of the coin? I doubt right now that I couldsell these MS-69 for 80 dollars apiece right now. Though I did get 5 MS 70s out of 11 I may get 100 out of those, but since the mint is on high production and the MS70s are approaching the numbers of the MS-69s Whose to say where this will be going? MS-70 GLUT? I have been reading that silver is set for another fall sometime in the future, no, I do not have a crystal ball but keep buying for the collectability, don't let the speculators ruin our hobby!

I bought the 2006 set from the U.S. Mint. The 2006 reverse proof was graded as PF70 and was worth $750. It went down to $550 before the release of this set. It is now $475 on E BAY. This is a 41% drop,.

The Majority of the increase in price for the common annual silver eagle is due to the price rise of silver. They did nothing before it.

I refuse to buy another item from the U.S. Mint. Their Apology on the website that they are concerned about their regular customer is a joke. If they were concerned about them then they would have adjusted the sets down to one per person until the regular customers received a set.

The reason that E bay first removed the ads was that they refused to allow the sellers to advertise unless they had actual possession of the coins.

The U.S. MINT wants their regular customers to continue to purchase the annual coins that don't increase in price for another 5 or 10 years and maybe they will do better.

You have to accept or return what the U,,S Mint sends you. Then you have to pay to send it in for grading and you may get a 69 etc.

If you want an MS 70 or an MS70 then you can get it for a small premium on Ebay. So why fool with the U.S. Mint when they could care es about the collector?.

A regular customer is not a person who has never purchased the series or any coin before the 25th Anniversary set and won't purchase another in the series.

I don't know why the bashing of these sets are going on and the de-monetizing of them also. I bought my 2006 Annv set ($100), I opened them and when I had to sell them 2 yrs later I had no problem getting the going rate of $300 for them. The rev proof was the only key coin of that set. The Regular proof and W uncir had already been out. If I wanted another 2006 set, I'd still have to pay $300 to get one. That's the price you have to pay to get what you want. I don't think this 25th set will be any different. Yea 3 coins will be the same of those issued earlier, but buyers will still purchase these knowing it is a FULL set. After all the hype is gone and settled, the collectors will be the last ones that will pay the going rate for a nice opened complete set. And I'm still willing to bet these will stay at least around $600. For those that do not want to pay that will probably never have a set. I know that even if I was not able to get in to the mint for my one set, I would've been dissappointed also but I don't think that I would be criticizing those that did get them or degrading the set. It just seems to me that the people that didn't get a set are trying to justify thier bitterness by taking it out on people who did and degrading the set to see them as worthless. I would be sitting back, waiting for the flurry to go down, and then trying to save up money to get me a set when I could. JMO

I am not an avid collector of the series. I originally bought them as I knew the price of silver was going up big time. . I completed the sets each year as a matter of routine.

There were people who had never purchased the series and never will again. They dod not understand the ramifications of unsealing the boxes. These people have destroyed te series. While it is true this will mean that fewer sets will get the special label and there will be a temporary price rise it will not sustained over the long run.

My Reverse Proof from 2006 in PF70 has gone from $750 to $475 today. This is a 41% drop. This after a huge rise in the price of silver. There was only one and now there are two of them.

I will not pay these prices for a routine deal.

I purchased an 1880CC GSA Morgan Reverse of 78 for $685 last week in MS63.NGC lists it for $910. David Bowers lists the mintage at 125,000 and this is for the whole issue in that VAM. The GSA is less.

SO which one do you think will have the most value in 5 years. the Reverse Proof at 100,000 or the 1880 CC Reverse of 1878?

I will not pay $600 or more per set so the series is ruined for me. all because of Greed.

Geeze, Chabsentia, give it a rest the ranting and raving about your view has come full circle so that you continue to repeat yourself. You are almost as bitter as my ex wife. :) It ain't healthy.

Geeze, Chabsentia, give it a rest the ranting and raving about your view has come full circle so that you continue to repeat yourself. You are almost as bitter as my ex wife. :) It ain't healthy.

Agreed!

Also Chab, you cannot compare these coins to Morgans. It's like comparing Gold to Silver. By the sounds of your reasoning and ranting, you are into collecting investment coins anyway. What you are trying to make a point at, has nothing to do with true collecting.

Chab,

Xanax dude, Xanax!! True collectors could care less if they have a "special" label, or if the value will decrease a modest percentage, they want a hard to get set and will most likely enjoy it the rest of thier live's. Your sour grapes are going to choke you to death!

Nick

Sold for $3500.

Thank you all for an entertaining thread.

DenverDave: It is reasons like this why I stick to the PCGS forums.

Really? I don't mean this in any sort of an insulting fashion, but I thought you stick to the PCGS forums because you are a (mostly) a "PCGS-only" collector....

Sold for $3500.

Really? I don't mean this in any sort of an insulting fashion, but I thought you stick to the PCGS forums because you are a (mostly) a "PCGS-only" collector....

:popcorn:

Sold for $3500.

Don't forget CAC as well James...

We should hold that against someone...?

He will learn and share or parish...

Sold for $3500.

Dude You Need To get a Life...

Chab,

Xanax dude, Xanax!! True collectors could care less if they have a "special" label, or if the value will decrease a modest percentage, they want a hard to get set and will most likely enjoy it the rest of thier live's. Your sour grapes are going to choke you to death!

Nick

I seriously laughed out loud at the first part because I'm a pharmacist! :roflmao:

For the rest of Chab's rant..... doh!

Is there a delete button here?

Sold for $3500.

I stick to the PCGS forms because in all honesty, there are usually more informative posts there by people I know very well. Not as many of my friends post here. That and the PCGS board is where I started.

Sold for $3500.

Dude You Need To get a Life...

Lucky you, I'm going to Hawaii for 5 days soon :)

Sold for $3500.

I stick to the PCGS forms because in all honesty, there are usually more informative posts there by people I know very well. Not as many of my friends post here. That and the PCGS board is where I started.

OK! And Denver Dave, No, of course we would not hold "PCGS-only" and/or CAC against someone :) . I really just thought that was the reason Ankur was usually ATS. I know that it's true of some folks.

Don't forget CAC as well James...

We should hold that against someone...?

He will learn and share or parish...

The insinuation in Ankur's reply was that somehow the PCGS boards are more tame and don't have these kinds of rants. That is almost laughable, IMO. This board is NOWHERE near as bad...this topic seems to be an exception. It really only takes a poster or two to create the "piling on".

Sold for $3500.

I've been at the PCGS board for 10 years and I can tell you that really isn't true...partly. By partly I mean "informative" posts as opposed to posts by your friends, which is obviously a personal thing. I find the atmosphere here FAR better overall...it's really not even close.

The reason I suspect is that there are just MORE people there so it "seems" worse.

Whatever, but I'm glad you sold your sets and I still think you did nothing wrong and have the right to do whatever you please.

jom

Well, I will have to say that this thread is really entertaining. I have been able to see the many sides.

I have been collecting since I was three. So that is not an issue.

I collect the Silver eagles, because I remember an old timer in the sixties having an awesome morgan collection that was started by his dad, and he finished it.He was like 96 in 1965 or so. This really impressed me. So these are the best that I can do. It consisted of PL coins only! I wonder where the collection went? I think it may have been complete! But the guy had revolutionary war, and civil war muskets hanging in the living room too! They were his family heirlooms.

I am glad the person was able to sell his sets that he had. Personally it kills me to let go of even one coin.

However, on a bright note!!!!!! I recieved an email from the mint stating that my 25th anniversary set will be arriving in the next week! And I am only paying 300 dollars for it. So Patience does have rewards. And I am not holding my breath till it gets here however, as they may fool me yet! lol!

But I am not into the spiral hype of the prices. But I sure would be steamed to pay the high price of the set, and then a few years down the road find it cheaper. Gee, just like I did for the Burnished Silver Eagles this year.

I am not an avid collector of the series. I originally bought them as I knew the price of silver was going up big time. . I completed the sets each year as a matter of routine.

There were people who had never purchased the series and never will again. They dod not understand the ramifications of unsealing the boxes. These people have destroyed te series. While it is true this will mean that fewer sets will get the special label and there will be a temporary price rise it will not sustained over the long run.

My Reverse Proof from 2006 in PF70 has gone from $750 to $475 today. This is a 41% drop. This after a huge rise in the price of silver. There was only one and now there are two of them.

I will not pay these prices for a routine deal.

I purchased an 1880CC GSA Morgan Reverse of 78 for $685 last week in MS63.NGC lists it for $910. David Bowers lists the mintage at 125,000 and this is for the whole issue in that VAM. The GSA is less.

SO which one do you think will have the most value in 5 years. the Reverse Proof at 100,000 or the 1880 CC Reverse of 1878?

I will not pay $600 or more per set so the series is ruined for me. all because of Greed.

As I remember the whole point of the 10th was that the set opened shot up to about 750 to 800 dollars. 300 was the going price in the week after the release.Then it jumped. then in about six months they were back down to the 300 that they still sell for today. As the people found out that the sets were not able to be graded as a set. that is when the price dropped. I remember seeing the 2006 (bullion) go for about 800 in MS 70 I think it dropped quite a bit. And these will too!