• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Numismatist - January Edition

7 posts in this topic

For some reason not entirely clear to me I have retained my ANA membership and thus my subscription to that most dismal of periodicals, The Numismatist. I just received my January copy and (unless I have just not read it in months) this month marks a major makeover for the magazine. It is now a full size magazine with lots of full color pages, even if they are mostly ads. BY the way, nice ad, NGC.

The content is still a little stodgy, with too many ads, too many obituaries of people we never met, etc. However, there were some pretty decent content articles. I believe that one must always applaud improvement, even if the effort falls somewhat short of perfection. Therefore, thank you ANA.

I noticed that too, Chippewa. The new President seems to have injected a new life with new ideas (for The Numismatist at least). Maybe things will continue to improve before the old fogies have a chance to suck the life out of him. tongue.gif

I still don't get why QDB's column was discontinued. The only possible reason I can think of is that, upon occasion, he used material which was later included in one of his books. Perhaps this was perceived as being too self promoting? Even with that minor quibble, I see no reason to discontinue the column.

I did like all the color photos (who can argue with that?) but the content of the first issue seemed a lot like their usual fare. We'll see how it goes in the upcoming months.

I still don't get why QDB's column was discontinued.

???

Don't you know? D attributed an issue of property rights to you wrt the article that you wrote for the latest RCR. I asked him why you didn't submit it to The Numismatist, and that's what he told me...

EVP

What new president?

When were the elections? Who gets to vote for the ANA elections? I'm a member (thanks to a free membership from NGC - I wouldn't pay 1¢out of my pocket to join the ANA) and I never got any info on voting.

I sort of wonder if I send off my dues this week if I will get the January issue...I quit the ANA a few years ago because their magazine, auctions, and conventions catered almost solely to the big money collector/dealer, and left all us little guys collecting cheap, modern coins in the dust. Barely anything they printed in the magazine had any relevance to what I cared to read, so I dropped it. Maybe they are turning a new leaf.