• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Commemoratives Graded or OGP ?

Modern Commemoratives graded or OGP?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Modern Commemoratives graded or OGP?

7 posts in this topic

How do you prefer your modern commemoratives graded or in OGP? Please share your reasons and any observations you have made over time. Thanks

The only modern commems I collect are Canadian silver dollars. I have both graded and original mint packaged coins. I don't mind which way they are, as long as the coin is purdy.

I think it depends on the product.

Some of the OGP looks cheap. OGP also gets very worn over time if handled much.

Depending on the item the OGP can really make the coin stand out also.

That being said Graded is good for many reasons. One being storage. Slabs being the same size it is much easier to organize them and even show them off. If the slab gets damaged just have it reholdered.

I also liked the multi-holder that NGC did away with (yes I know dealers can still get it but this is a collectors society, not dealers society). To me some sets just looked much better in this multi-holder. With the multi-holder you could have both the MS and PF version together as apposed having two different size/color boxes of the OGH.

Yes I know I am all over the place with my answer and that is why I didn't vote

The only modern commems I collect are Canadian silver dollars. I have both graded and original mint packaged coins. I don't mind which way they are, as long as the coin is purdy.

i agree that the canadians have prettier newer commems. then the american counterpart. jmo on that as well :)

I want all of my commemorative coins the original government package. Outside of the OGP, I think that they lose a lot. I have a complete collection of the wooden box sets which were issued years ago. I enjoy them.

There are some OGP's that are very informative. For example I have a 1995 World War II commemorative half dollar in a government issued folder that provided a brief history of the World War II victory medal and campaign medals that were issued to American service men and women who fought in the war. That led me to look for the original medals, which can be acquired at low prices.

The only modern commemorative I have considered buying in a slab is the 2009 Ultra High Relief $20 gold. The coin I got from the mint had too much die polishing, and thought about getting another one. In the end I gave up on the idea given the high prices.