• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

error coins?

8 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! I'm still new to collecting, and I have much fun searching rolls. That being said, every now and then I come across an odd coin and put it aside. Well, I figured I would ask the pros(many of you) if these are anything other than just wear and tear. I've found mint error coins to be quite hard to correctly identify many times. I'm sure it's just because I'm a rookie. Thanks for the information/help!

-Charlie

COIN A

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

COIN B

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

COIN C has a convex bulge on both sides, but the shape of the coin is still round. Almost like there's a bubble in the metal(I know there's not)

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

COIN D

DSC_0109.jpg

The quarter looks like someone tried to bite off Georgie's ear. If that is what you're referencing, it looks like Post Mint Damage (PMD). The nickels look like they may have been dipped in a mild acid.

It looks like Kennedy definitely has gas. It sometimes happens that gases can be trapped in the metal, and when it is rolled to the proper thickness the gases gather together and form a bulge.

Chris

Basically those are all just combinations to varying degrees of circulation and die wear plus post-mint and environmental damage, they're not mint errors. Hey, a rookie has to start somewhere. :)

First one looks like corrosion or possibly fire.

Second is from a heavily worn die and the coin is an early stage dryer coin.

Third is the result of heating that has allowed trapped gas to expand and bulge the softened clad layers.

Fourth again looks like a potential dryer coin but may have had a lamination as well.

Can we start a thread called coin detectives where you guys solve coin mysteries? Thanks much for the input! I'll try to give you something more interesting next time.

First one looks like corrosion or possibly fire.

Second is from a heavily worn die and the coin is an early stage dryer coin.

Third is the result of heating that has allowed trapped gas to expand and bulge the softened clad layers.

Fourth again looks like a potential dryer coin but may have had a lamination as well.

I understand the acid that someone else posted and can see the lamination as well. Can you give us more details on the dryer? Is that part of the minting process or did someone just put the nickel in a dryer?

Dryer coins refers to coins that get inside the fins of a commercial clothes dryer and get tumbled hundreds of thousands of times. Their edges tend to get beaten down making the rims closer to the lettering, the edges tend to get wider, and if there is a lot of dirt or particulate matter trapped inside the fins as well it causes excessive wear to the obv and reverse giving it that soft mushy look.

Dryer coins refers to coins that get inside the fins of a commercial clothes dryer and get tumbled hundreds of thousands of times. Their edges tend to get beaten down making the rims closer to the lettering, the edges tend to get wider, and if there is a lot of dirt or particulate matter trapped inside the fins as well it causes excessive wear to the obv and reverse giving it that soft mushy look.

Thanks !!!