• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever see a sample slab like this?

11 posts in this topic

yes i had many of them

back in the earlier 1990's dealers sent unc morgan dollars to ngc and ngc gave them sample and grades usually ms 63 dealers then passed them along to customers to who were thinking of investing ordering etc etc. i got like three of them in the early to middle 1990's when i called some dealer ads and requestiing one of these coins to see what slabs were all about as they wanted me to invest in coins and the new fangled slabs and i asked for a sample and they sent it to me more than three in fact! all from different dealers ads in coin world i accumulated like 100slabs all shapes and sizes of coins both pcgs and ngc sample slabs of course in the later 1990's no one cared and i remember selling them to a dealer in town for like melt value

i sold the morgans the end of 1999 remember this is when these coins were worth under 6 dollars each :o:flamed: today is different

i think thst the toning with these no line fatties this coin on ebay it toned in the holder as the tags were sulfer paper and the deqaler dipped the morgan dollar blast white before sending them into ngc to get them in sample holders and the coin in the slab with the fresh dipped out white skin toned while in the slab

i do see these coins on occasion for sale i dont know if many exist or where cracked out??

but i do think 3000 the seller is asking it freaking nuts

i aint on ebay so who knows what someone will pay

but if this coin on ebay is worth 3000 then i got a 1914-d lincoln cent in a pcgs holder fine 15 with a cac sticker superb light chocolate brown perfect surfaces i grade it vf20+ and the finest 14-d lincoln cent i have ever seen with this exceptional light milk chocolate coloration best i have ever seen for a circ 14-d in terms of eye appeal color and surfaces and this is a coin that must be worth 100k if this sample slab morgan coin on sleezebay is worth 3,000

lol

here is the cert verification for this coin

it is wrong but still a sample, but way back then the powers that be did not care about numbers matching anything as it was a damn sample for heavens sake

oh my have times changed

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/CertResults.aspx?CertNumber=199999-010

as the seller sayz a great king pin to your collection

uh huh

lol

if this sample slab is the king pin to a collection AS AGAIN THE SELLER SAYZ then a 1914-d cent must be the holy grail

lol

INSANE!!!! :insane: You would now be collecting plastic, as this coin will cost you 50-60 bucks and the plastic is over 2900. A whopping 98% of your purchase price (were you to buy this coin) would be for rare, vintage plastic and NOT rare, vintage coin.

What's wrong with buying rare vintage plastic? :)

Got an NGC 1 (black NGC) or PCGS 9 (Regency slab) that you just want the value of the coin for?

Yes these are scarce but not THAT rare I could see $100 to $125. But the prices of Sample slabs are moving up.

I assume he is using Cameron's numbering system. In my system this would be an NGC 4S1. I listed three different samples based on the NGC 4 slab style. None of the three styles is all that rare but the 4S1 with the silver dollars or the George Washington halves ARE scarce.

What's wrong with buying rare vintage plastic? :)

Got an NGC 1 (black NGC) or PCGS 9 (Regency slab) that you just want the value of the coin for?

Yes these are scarce but not THAT rare I could see $100 to $125. But the prices of Sample slabs are moving up.

I assume he is using Cameron's numbering system. In my system this would be an NGC 4S1. I listed three different samples based on the NGC 4 slab style. None of the three styles is all that rare but the 4S1 with the silver dollars or the George Washington halves ARE scarce.

Please don't get me wrong. There's nothing at all wrong with vintage slabs.

I find that I like them very much and find them to be very cool, too.

I will even go out of my way to pick one up.

I could see paying, maybe, $150 or even 200, but no way $3000!

It's not worth that much, unless you are strictly a slab collector.

I don't care if it's the very 1st Black NGC slab; I would not pay a 5000% markup. I think it is crazy! IMO. :makepoint: