• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

metal detector coin collecting

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone here collect mostly "found" coins? In other words, I was wondering if anyone on here actively collects coins that they personally find from various digs, outings and sweeps using a metal detector.

The reason I ask is that I have suggested a "treasure hunting" article for a local magazine that I do freelance writing for. There are a couple of groups within about 50 miles of here that use their metal detectors to do digs at old schools, along old trails and historic structures. I plan on going on a couple of digs with them, but also thought it would be prudent to ask on here.

I figure that most of you probably buy your coins from the store, but thought that maybe some of you also go out and find your own.

If you collect primarily your own "found" coins, I would be very interested in hearing your story.

Thanks!

I have a lot of coins found with my metal detector. From a 1723 Woods Hibernia to many seated and Barber coins. I have found a few key dates such as an 1878 S quarter, but most if not all of them show some sort of ground action/environmental damage that would preclude them from grading in a problem free holder.

JJ

Does anyone here collect mostly "found" coins? In other words, I was wondering if anyone on here actively collects coins that they personally find from various digs, outings and sweeps using a metal detector.

The reason I ask is that I have suggested a "treasure hunting" article for a local magazine that I do freelance writing for. There are a couple of groups within about 50 miles of here that use their metal detectors to do digs at old schools, along old trails and historic structures. I plan on going on a couple of digs with them, but also thought it would be prudent to ask on here.

I figure that most of you probably buy your coins from the store, but thought that maybe some of you also go out and find your own.

If you collect primarily your own "found" coins, I would be very interested in hearing your story.

You may be well served to contact and cyber chat with Lord Marcovan, ATS.

He may be the wealth of knowledge, on this subject, that you seek.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Thanks!

I agree with JJ. I detect but the coins found aren't really in decent enough shape to use in albums or have graded. I do keep everything I find tho' and toss them in a jar. I'm waiting to see how many years it takes me to pay for the detector with what I've found. lol