• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star attribute coins....I have a question.

60 posts in this topic

Here's a Buff I feel should have a star next to the grade. This 25-S I purchased from one of our forum members and it's the prettiest 25-S I've seen regardless what the grade is....I have no idea when it was graded. NGC MS-62

For no apparent reason I can think of, I'd also like to know whether this coin would get a STAR was well. :devil:

Also, based on good authority which was actually a little bird, I can say the coin has not been graded since September of 2004. Again, based on what a bird told me.

jom

I happen to know for sure that little bird has some very nice coins and this 25-S is testimony of that!! If this coin was graded in 2004 and I'm sure the little bird is right, I wonder why no star?

I'm not a betting person, but if I was, I would put money on the 1925-s Buffalo Nickel receiving a star. I have seen multiple nickels with star designations that don't even compare.

Thanks for sayin!! I love this Buff that Jom sold me and I think he misses it. But I must agree I have also seen some buffs with stars that has nowhere near the eye appeal this coin does. Thanks again for the kind words......Joe

So, you think that some coins without stars should have received them (and presumably, that some with stars didn't necessarily deserve them).

Then why wonder and/or worry about it? Forget about the stinking stars and enjoy the COINS, with or without the (subjective and inconsistent) stars.

A logical suggestion.

Should this suggestion apply to enhanced grading, similar to CAC?

If we eliminate the TPG "Market" equation from our numismatic pursuits, should this suggestion be accepted and considered as an alternative to TPG coins?

Does not the same subjectivity and inconsistency apply to TPG and enhanced grading labeled coins?

To paraprase the words of a person that is multiples above my meager knowledge,

is the Subject not one of those "...I don't know how to describe it, but I know it when I see it..." issues?

Now, who REALLY decides the basis of the enjoyment?

What is the basis of enjoyment...The TPG encapsulation, the enhanced grading stickers, our fellow collector's admiration, or what it can be sold for?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

The TPG encapsulation, the enhanced grading stickers, our fellow collector's admiration, or what it can be sold for?

All of the above.....Joe

Thank You, Joe.

Your commentary is very interesting, and I must admit, I did not expect this as a reply.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

if you would like a star

you might like a gold sticker more?

Yep....That'll do! It's not a really BIG deal. I feel the 25-S is a tad under graded to start with. The eye appeal is really something to behold and it is the nicest 25-S around as far as eye appeal for what I'm looking for. And I feel the star is a statement from the pros that they agree, like a thumbs-up from them that this coin has the "wow" factor. It's not that I "need" their endorsement but it would be nice....Joe

Here's a Buff I feel should have a star next to the grade. This 25-S I purchased from one of our forum members and it's the prettiest 25-S I've seen regardless what the grade is....I have no idea when it was graded. NGC MS-62

For no apparent reason I can think of, I'd also like to know whether this coin would get a STAR was well. :devil:

Also, based on good authority which was actually a little bird, I can say the coin has not been graded since September of 2004. Again, based on what a bird told me.

jom

I happen to know for sure that little bird has some very nice coins and this 25-S is testimony of that!! If this coin was graded in 2004 and I'm sure the little bird is right, I wonder why no star?

I'm not a betting person, but if I was, I would put money on the 1925-s Buffalo Nickel receiving a star. I have seen multiple nickels with star designations that don't even compare.

Thanks for sayin!! I love this Buff that Jom sold me and I think he misses it. But I must agree I have also seen some buffs with stars that has nowhere near the eye appeal this coin does. Thanks again for the kind words......Joe

So, you think that some coins without stars should have received them (and presumably, that some with stars didn't necessarily deserve them).

Then why wonder and/or worry about it? Forget about the stinking stars and enjoy the COINS, with or without the (subjective and inconsistent) stars.

A logical suggestion.

If we eliminate the TPG "Market" equation from our numismatic pursuits, should this suggestion be accepted and considered as an alternative to TPG coins?

Does not the same subjectivity and inconsistency apply to TPG and enhanced grading labeled coins?

is the Subject not one of those "...I don't know how to describe it, but I know it when I see it..." issues?

What is the basis of enjoyment...The TPG encapsulation, the enhanced grading stickers, our fellow collector's admiration, or what it can be sold for?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

John, I often love, and at the same time, hate, the way you force me to have to think, before replying to your posts. (thumbs u

Yes, the same suggestion could apply to "enhanced grading, similar to CAC."

A CAC sticker can sometimes result in significantly higher bids on a sight-unseen basis, however. I don't think the same applies to NGC star designations, at least not to the same extent.

Yes, I think it can be fairly argued that the same subjectivity and inconsistency apply to TPG and enhanced grading labeled coins.

As far as who really decides the basis of the enjoyment - sadly, I think many collectors are allowing the grading companies to decide it, rather than deciding for themselves.

if you would like a star

Yep....That'll do! It's not a really BIG deal. I feel the 25-S is a tad under graded to start with. The eye appeal is really something to behold and it is the nicest 25-S around as far as eye appeal for what I'm looking for. And I feel the star is a statement from the pros that they agree, like a thumbs-up from them that this coin has the "wow" factor. It's not that I "need" their endorsement but it would be nice....Joe

While I certainly understand the human emotions involved, is not the "pro" star statement and the gold sticker statement objective in their nature, and no less valid a statement than your own?

If so, then we are back to my original musings.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

if you would like a star

While I certainly understand the human emotions involved, is not the "pro" star statement and the gold sticker statement objective in their nature, and no less valid a statement than your own?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I will love this coin like no other no matter what. This is one of MY favorite Buffs and that's all that really matters.....Star or no star. Sticker or no sticker the coin speaks for itself.

jom

A logical suggestion.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

John, I often love, and at the same time, hate, the way you force me to have to think, before replying to your posts. (thumbs u

A CAC sticker can sometimes result in significantly higher bids on a sight-unseen basis, however. I don't think the same applies to NGC star designations, at least not to the same extent.

Yes, I think it can be fairly argued that the same subjectivity and inconsistency apply to TPG and enhanced grading labeled coins.

As far as who really decides the basis of the enjoyment - sadly, I think many collectors are allowing the grading companies to decide it, rather than deciding for themselves.

Thank You, as usual, Mark, for your courteous comments, and taking the time to reply.

It is possible then that my Logic Posit is valid.

Your last paragraph-there lies Gold and Wisdom.

Respectfully (of course)

John Curlis

PS: I note, only for amusement, a Post by a fellow Board Member, that in effect was of the opinion I am hard on you. It is possible he is right, based on your opening comment. If so, I sincerely apologize.

jom

A logical suggestion.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

...PS: I note, only for amusement, a Post by a fellow Board Member, that in effect was of the opinion I am hard on you. It is possible he is right, based on your opening comment. If so, I sincerely apologize.

John, I didn't see the referenced post, but I don't feel that you are hard on me. You owe me no apology and I thank you for your participation and for making me and others, better posters.

jom

A logical suggestion.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

...PS: I note, only for amusement, a Post by a fellow Board Member, that in effect was of the opinion I am hard on you. It is possible he is right, based on your opening comment. If so, I sincerely apologize.

John, I didn't see the referenced post, but I don't feel that you are hard on me. You owe me no apology and I thank you for your participation and for making me and others, better posters.

I also do appreciate these replys. It does make a guy think about how to repond, no question about that, John. You do have a way with word, eh? Soooo, your saying you like this 25-S yes? And you do feel it does deserve a star, yes?

if you would like a star

Respectfully,

John Curlis

All (well-educated) opinions on a coin are valid. Some are just respected more than others. I can say a coin is attractive, but few people know who I am. NGC says the coin is star-worthy, and their reputation and expertise back their claim. By the way, the Star is the very definition of subjective, being vaguely described only as "superior eye appeal." An objective opinion (FBL, for example) is equally valued from NGC based on their reputation.

if you would like a star

Respectfully,

John Curlis

All (well-educated) opinions on a coin are valid. Some are just respected more than others. I can say a coin is attractive, but few people know who I am. NGC says the coin is star-worthy, and their reputation and expertise back their claim. By the way, the Star is the very definition of subjective, being vaguely described only as "superior eye appeal." An objective opinion (FBL, for example) is equally valued from NGC based on their reputation.

I'll go along with that statement all the way. Not to mention if I were to sell this coin, a star will bring more money because NGC says it's star quality rather than if I say it. But I'll assure you it will not be for sale, ever....Not as long as I'm alive....Joe

jom

A logical suggestion.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I also do appreciate these replys. It does make a guy think about how to repond, no question about that, John. You do have a way with word, eh? Soooo, your saying you like this 25-S yes? And you do feel it does deserve a star, yes?

Thank You for your kind words, Joe.

Hmmm, well, the conclusions you offer for my agreement could be very logical, if I saw the coin in hand, and without passing judgement on the validity (or not) of a star.

It is no secret among many, that I do not opine based on pictures, for the simple reason that I do not know how to do so and have never mastered the Art.

If I attempted to do so, it would most likely cause War among all Nations using a metal coinage system, because I assure you I would offend just about everybody.

Now, as to the star, stickers, and indeed TPGs, I admit freely that my concern for the Hobby is the lessening of ones' own equally valid opinion that is prevalent these days, due to the Market equation of these devices.

It has, to some effect, lowered the need for self-study and improvement and causes doubt in ones' own ability.

We call them the "Pros".

Why? Did they study more,or is their vision naturally (or corrected to) a Market acceptable level, or do the Pros have a Merlin quality that allows Subjectivity to be less subjective and more Fact,by way of the Numismatic Pro Wand?

Yes, I have used a Pro to purchase a coin on my behalf. Yes, I have purchased sight unseen coins from a Pro. But (there is always a "but"), I do not substitute their opinion for mine, nor hold their opinion as any less valid than my own.

That is my concern...the "dumbing down" of the Numismatic Hobby,, and its rise to an investment only level, causing a reliance on others in place of ourselves.

This may explain my comment that I was not expecting your heretofore answer.

In closing- Yes, I do like the 25S, to the extent that what I "see" can be validated when I have it in hand.

That, of course, can only happen if it is donated to me. Please forard at the earliest convenience...

Respectfully,

John Curlis

if you would like a star

Respectfully,

John Curlis

It would seem that my Logic Posit may have a slight acceptance, then.

If so, then I appreciate the acknowledgement.

If not, then you are not logical.....and don't get a star.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Call it a qualified acceptance. We can disagree, but I always respect your well-thought-out posts.

Wow! What a post this has turned into. My head hurts. Great posts all. Good suppositions and answers, making the post quite enjoyable and informative(which hopefully all posts would be). Thanks to all replying to Joe's post.

One thing I might add,additional value aside, we all(and while "all" is a huge word I intend it to be so) want our fellow collector's positive feedback regarding our coins.

Otherwise, why post our coins for everyone on the forum to see, admire or dis, and opine about? The average collector(not dealer) see's very few examples of the same coin in their lifetime(obviously some moreso than others) and when they are able to garner 30 or so posts explaining why someone likes or dislikes their coins the positive feedback makes for a good feeling as to one's ability to select and own

eye acceptable and fellow collector approved coins.

So, when a company with either NGC's, cac's, or PCGS's stature offers a star, gold sticker, or a plus stating the coin is better than average for the grade and they view thousands of such coins, then that would be, at least in my opinion, a reasonable addition to one's own assessment of their collection and worthy of discussion and achievement.

Jim

Wow! What a post this has turned into. My head hurts. Great posts all. Good suppositions and answers, making the post quite enjoyable and informative(which hopefully all posts would be). Thanks to all replying to Joe's post.

One thing I might add,additional value aside, we all(and while "all" is a huge word I intend it to be so) want our fellow collector's positive feedback regarding our coins.

Otherwise, why post our coins for everyone on the forum to see, admire or dis, and opine about? The average collector(not dealer) see's very few examples of the same coin in their lifetime(obviously some moreso than others) and when they are able to garner 30 or so posts explaining why someone likes or dislikes their coins the positive feedback makes for a good feeling as to one's ability to select and own

eye acceptable and fellow collector approved coins.

So, when a company with either NGC's, cac's, or PCGS's stature offers a star, gold sticker, or a plus stating the coin is better than average for the grade and they view thousands of such coins, then that would be, at least in my opinion, a reasonable addition to one's own assessment of their collection and worthy of discussion and achievement.

Jim

I certainly endorse the logic of your Post and agree with your thoughts.

My only regret is my inability to master opinion by picture analysis, allowing me to enjoy the experience more.

Some day......(over the "Rainbow"-or "stars").

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Call it a qualified acceptance. We can disagree, but I always respect your well-thought-out posts.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I accept the qualification without hesitation, and will strive to improve in Standing.

Thank You for your kind comments.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

This has been my take on it as well. Since you say so (I'm don't really know...nor do I care actually) I suppose the "STAR" designation doesn't bring the premium that, say, a + or a CAC does. However, none of that personally means all that much to me. From a practical standpoint, it doesn't matter what is on the label until you actually sell the coin. That is why I'm always mystified when I see posts like "should I send this in?" etc etc. Why? If you like the coin who the hell cares what another run-through the TPGs will tell you? Baffling.

When you go to sell them maybe it's worth a shot. However, when I sold my gold set in 2009 I didn't even bother and I had some of those coins for nearly 15 years. And the sell went real well too.

So one can make an argument not to bother and spend that money on more coins...no?

jom

Always enjoy your posts John :) Measured and thoughtful :)

Very, very kind words, but (there is always a "but"), please, please don't measure anything by my thoughts.

After all, I am simply regurgitating the collective comments of all, in a format that I can process. That process ocurs in a dangerous place for thought...

Respectfully,

John Curlis

This has been my take on it as well. Since you say so (I'm don't really know...nor do I care actually) I suppose the "STAR" designation doesn't bring the premium that, say, a + or a CAC does. However, none of that personally means all that much to me. From a practical standpoint, it doesn't matter what is on the label until you actually sell the coin. That is why I'm always mystified when I see posts like "should I send this in?" etc etc. Why? If you like the coin who the hell cares what another run-through the TPGs will tell you? Baffling.

When you go to sell them maybe it's worth a shot. However, when I sold my gold set in 2009 I didn't even bother and I had some of those coins for nearly 15 years. And the sell went real well too.

So one can make an argument not to bother and spend that money on more coins...no?

jom

This is interesting.

Is the investment/sale event of more enjoyment than the enjoyment of the coin as a Hobby?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

This is interesting.

Is the investment/sale event of more enjoyment than the enjoyment of the coin as a Hobby?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

In a word, NO. However, I'm not certain how you drew that question out of my last response. Maybe I worded it poorly or you just simply wanted to ask. :)

But the "sale event" as I recall it (ANA 2009) was pretty dull. The show in general (in LA) was poor and I didn't even bother to attend the auction which I originally planned. Compare that to the 15 years or so I put the set together, incomplete as it was. Not even close. I loved trying to find nice high end AU Indian Eagles...I only sold because gold prices were pushing up the coin values which made it more difficult to afford the pieces AND the fact many were being regraded into MS holders which made the acquisition even more difficult.

I learned quite a bit about older US gold coins as well...it was fun.

jom

jom

This is interesting.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I can answer this. For me, I love my Buffs soooo much that when I sell a Buff that I have two of the same, I miss the coin just as soon as it leaves my hand. So the enjoyment of the having the coin in my collection is more enjoyable than the sale. This is why I'm NOT selling anymore of my Buffalo Nickels. I always have sellers remorse even if it's a double. Now this only goes for Buffalo Nickels. I will still buy other types of coins and flip them "if" I can purchase them at a good price. If I buy it right I can sell it right.....Joe

jom

This is interesting.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I can answer this. For me, I love my Buffs soooo much that when I sell a Buff that I have two of the same, I miss the coin just as soon as it leaves my hand. So the enjoyment of the having the coin in my collection is more enjoyable than the sale. This is why I'm NOT selling anymore of my Buffalo Nickels. I always have sellers remorse even if it's a double. Now this only goes for Buffalo Nickels. I will still buy other types of coins and flip them "if" I can purchase them at a good price. If I buy it right I can sell it right.....Joe

I think you have defined quite clearly, and much better than I could,a Hobbyist/Numismatist.

It seems then, that the Hobby is the more enjoyable portion, for you.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

jom

This is interesting.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I think you have defined quite clearly, and much better than I could,a Hobbyist/Numismatist.

It seems then, that the Hobby is the more enjoyable portion, for you.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Yes, I am a collector above all as far as my Buffs go. I very much enjoy my Buffs. I've been at it for so many years and looking back at the time I have spent with my dad and now my son it's safe to say I very much enjoy the hobby more than ANY amount of money that can be made or I have made from selling them. I am a collector....Joe

Yes, I am a collector above all as far as my Buffs go. I very much enjoy my Buffs. I've been at it for so many years and looking back at the time I have spent with my dad and now my son it's safe to say I very much enjoy the hobby more than ANY amount of money that can be made or I have made from selling them. I am a collector....Joe

+1 on that one...

For me personally, the designation of a coin is important as a status symbol. For certain sets, I only buy coins designated PL, or FBL (sometimes both ;) ). I have my own opinion of the coin, but the recognition of its status in the Registry is important for my set. I have been known to cross perfectly good coins, or resubmit for designation, simply to put them in my Registry set.

Crazy? Waste of money? Yes. But that's how I choose to enjoy the hobby.

For me personally, the designation of a coin is important as a status symbol. For certain sets, I only buy coins designated PL, or FBL (sometimes both ;) ). I have my own opinion of the coin, but the recognition of its status in the Registry is important for my set. I have been known to cross perfectly good coins, or resubmit for designation, simply to put them in my Registry set.

If ya ask my wife, she'll tell ya it's all a waste of money & time to collect coins, period. She'll say that untill I sell one, then it's all different. It's funny how that works.

For me, I love to look at your coins, physics fan, you have a great eye and it shows with the coins you purchase & add to your collection....

For me personally, the designation of a coin is important as a status symbol. For certain sets, I only buy coins designated PL, or FBL (sometimes both ). I have my own opinion of the coin, but the recognition of its status in the Registry is important for my set. I have been known to cross perfectly good coins, or resubmit for designation, simply to put them in my Registry set.

That's what this great hobby is truly all about, Jason. We should all collect how we want and what entertains us, not for someone else. Yet, we all love our fellow collectors approval. Great post.

Jim