• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1913 Buffalo Nickel TONED..slabbing questions???

7 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, this is my first time posting here. I am about to send my first coin to be slabbed by NGC and am worried about it. But first, allow me to give you a little background on this coin and myself.

I am by no means a newbie! Everything numismatic that I read and see soaks into my head...so I understand the outcome of coin gradings and I am very enthusiastic about beautiful coins! And what are three things everyone should know about me?

1) I like to collect mintstate coins because I feel that this is how the artist intended us to view thier masterpieces.

2) I am a sucker for a rainbow toned coin

3) There is no such thing as MS / PF 70...in my honest opinion. I feel that this is a theoretical grade.

Anyway, on with the thread. About a year ago, I was at my local coin shop and I had arrived before my dealer got there. So, I had donuts and he had the coffee. We entered, he turned the lights on and situated his shop. Then, as we were alone, he said that he had something that I might be interested in. He opened his vault and pulled out an unsuspecting roll of coins...it appeared to be an original roll from 10 feet away.

He brought it closer and handed it to me to inspect...it was an older original roll!!! He asked me to guess what was inside and I said well, it is definitely a roll of nickels and I said "Jeffersons?" and he replied "NO!"

Inside were 40 beautiful mintstate 1913 Buffalo Nickels with gorgeous rainbow tones to them. I selected the most beautiful rainbowed ones for my collection and they have remained hidden since them inside my safes. But now, I want to have it slabbed and I have some concerns.

Will the rainbow be affected during the slabbing process?

Has anyone had any "horror stories" in terms of NGC?

Should I look forward to a "Star" designation?

What is the criteria for them to give out the coveted star?

Naturally, I think my chances are good for the star because it isn't everyday that a toned 1913 buffalo crosses their desk!

471181-1913rainbow2.jpg.b03213eae6b5ec5bbaa4120a71bda680.jpg

Greetings and welcome.

Very nice coin and I believe it to be real toning.

Will the rainbow be affected during the slabbing process? NO

Has anyone had any "horror stories" in terms of NGC? YES, but not affecting the coins

Should I look forward to a "Star" designation? YES

What is the criteria for them to give out the coveted star? Exceptional eye appeal.

Naturally, I think my chances are good for the star because it isn't everyday that a toned 1913 buffalo crosses their desk - Not really, NGC sees on a weekly basis some magnificent coinage, it's that this coin has way above average appeal.

TRUTH

Now, what if I recieve it back without the star designation? Could I complain or should I leave them be?

I am really hoping for it to reach a 66* or 67*!!!!

But I guess I shouldn't count my coins before they have been coined! 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Don't you people have anything better to do than pretend other people's coins as your own? I just hate when people steal other's pictures.... mad.gif

jom

I never said that it was my own. But mine looks just like it. It is clearly in a PCGS holder. I have tried repeatedly to photograph it but it doesn't come out good at all.

See below...

Sorry for any confusion it caused.

The below image is one I took a while back.

I paid an extra $3 to get a photo emailed to me...when it arrives in my email, I will post it.

Webb

471516-buffalorainbow.jpg.43910c992fc0bc7a6deccdb786736969.jpg