• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats with the mint mark on this ?

13 posts in this topic

Hi all .. longtime

just been given a group of USA coins for me to grade and sell for a friend

when going through them this 1892 Quarter showed uo in not bad condition.. flicked it over and found the mint mark was not set over to the right of the tail feathers ?? all my other ones are .. ? any one know why this one is in the middle ?? .. thanks .. will post pictures of the other stuff when i get back from the bottle show weekend .. all the best

25c.jpg

Since mintmarks were punched by hand they can appear in different positions under the tail. Great pic by the way.

Doesn't this placement seem a bit too far off? Since the normal (approximate) placement is above and between the "R" & "D", I would think that the diesinker would have been blind not to see how far off he was.

Since the 1892-S has a much lower mintage than the Philly and is worth more, isn't it possible that someone added the "S"? The dark spot around the mintmark has me a little concerned.

It's good to hear from you again, Dooly!

Chris

Cheers lads and thanks for the welcome back .,. I have added the one from my type set just to show how far out of place it is .. also a couple of close ups

the dark spot is Grease Chris .. not conserved any of his coins yet in case any would be grade worthy ..

newcastle831.jpg

newcastle829.jpg

newcastle830.jpg

Its kinda they tried it below the tail found it to cramped and moved it to the right ?

Welcome back, Dooly. Haven't heard from you in a while, figured you were diggin' or eelin'. Look forward to some of your videos.

The mint mark placement on your 1892 S Barber appears normal for the date. It is centered rather than off like many others.

Looks like a nice coin and of that value a certification would be a plus.

Again, good to hear from you,

Jim

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

This was the original postion for mintmarks on Barber Quarters in 1892. It was so close to the adjacent elements that the dies were subject to chipping and filling, and the mintmark was moved to the extreme right. This looked awkward, so it was then centered between the tailfeathers and the letters R and D for the remainder of the series. I wrote an article about this which appeared in the NGC Newsletter a couple months back:

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=2163&USA-Coin-Album

This was the original postion for mintmarks on Barber Quarters in 1892. It was so close to the adjacent elements that the dies were subject to chipping and filling, and the mintmark was moved to the extreme right. This looked awkward, so it was then centered between the tailfeathers and the letters R and D for the remainder of the series. I wrote an article about this which appeared in the NGC Newsletter a couple months back:

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=2163&USA-Coin-Album

Though it's not a series I collect, I learned something new today. Thanks, David!

Chris

Gettin to be bout that time to hit the marshes for some quackers, huh Dooly?

DWLange is the man! Good info there, right from the horses mouth to ours.

Hi peeps .. great information, you learn something new hear every time you look.. now that i know its ok i will be able to give him a value cheers.

yep all been doing so much stuff since my redundancy its been hard to fit the time in to do my forum stuff ie. Bottle digging (just finished a large tip for a Council), bottle shows, tatty picking, setting up my new bisness, shooting detecting, Ebay (boy what a load of hassle that is now wingewingewinge thats all you seem to get on there at the moment ! ect.. I wonder how i went to work sometimes :insane:

well i will try a bit harder and get some Daft Englishman posts up

all the best and thanks to you all