• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adjustment Marks, Were they worth it ?

9 posts in this topic

I can understand adjustment marks on gold coins but was it really cost effective in the old days to be adjusting silver coins . I have seen the marks on Half dimes and wonder if it was really worth it .

The adjustments to coins, silver or gold, was merely following the guidelines (laws) enacted in the Coinage Act of 1792

The weights were very specific and no coin could be issued over weight or forbid under weight.

Coinage Act of 1792

One factor you need to consider is that banks, businesses and individuals deposited gold and silver at the first U.S. mint to be struck into coins for little or no fee. These individuals expected to get coins equal in value to the metal that they had deposited. Therefore a coin that was too heavy, be it gold or silver, robbed them of some face value in coinage on a large deposit.

One scandal that surfaced during the early days of the mint was that fineness in some of the silver pieces was set a .900 silver and .100 copper. The trouble was the law called for the fineness to be .8924 silver and .1076 copper. That tiny bit of inattention to the law resulted in the depositors getting few coins than they should have, and it was a matter of concern for the early mint officials. Therefore you can see that the planchet adjustment step in the manufacture of the early U.S. coins was important.

I can understand adjustment marks on gold coins but was it really cost effective in the old days to be adjusting silver coins . I have seen the marks on Half dimes and wonder if it was really worth it .

Economically, almost certainly not. But from the standpoint of reputation and prestige, most very definitely! It was a fledgling country trying to gain respect on the worldwide stage during the "economic revolution", so I would have to say that producing consistent coinage was required at almost any cost.

Actually it probably was cost effective. The adjusters were women hired at a salary of fifty cents a day. If their adjustments prevented just half an ounce of excess silver going out each day it paid their salary and a little bit more. I would not be surprised if they collected more than that on a regular basis.

Actually it probably was cost effective. The adjusters were women hired at a salary of fifty cents a day. If their adjustments prevented just half an ounce of excess silver going out each day it paid their salary and a little bit more. I would not be surprised if they collected more than that on a regular basis.

Sure, it paid their salary, but what about all those other employer costs like medical insurance, retirement pension, social security, medicare, unemployment insurance, workers comp, etc.? :o

Sure, it paid their salary, but what about all those other employer costs like medical insurance, retirement pension, social security, medicare, unemployment insurance, workers comp, etc.? :o

If only they had that back then ;)