• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG (REVEALED) - 1880S Morgan -- PCGS

36 posts in this topic

It's gotta be that hit on the jaw, or scrape as it looks long and wide.

Yep, thus my guess of MS-63. Needless to say, I think PCGS got it right.

If it were an 1893-S I am almost sure it would be in an MS65 or MS66 holder. Just goes to show they aren't always just looking at the coin, but also the $$$. lol

My experience has been that PCGS and NGC are almost always more conservative with better date coins. I have an 1894-S NGC MS64, that looks comparable to MS65+ coins I have seen. It has impeccable strike, luster, and eye appeal, and the surfaces are very clean. The same can be said for an 1885 CC NGC MS64 Morgan that I have.

Pictures? Of course the owner always thinks his coins are the best ;) I'm guilty of the same.

If it were an 1893-S I am almost sure it would be in an MS65 or MS66 holder. Just goes to show they aren't always just looking at the coin, but also the $$$. lol

My experience has been that PCGS and NGC are almost always more conservative with better date coins. I have an 1894-S NGC MS64, that looks comparable to MS65+ coins I have seen. It has impeccable strike, luster, and eye appeal, and the surfaces are very clean. The same can be said for an 1885 CC NGC MS64 Morgan that I have.

Pictures? Of course the owner always thinks his coins are the best ;) I'm guilty of the same.

That's completely fair. I'll see if I can get it out to Shane or one of the other board members who offer professional photography services. At the moment, I only have the NGC photographs which make the coin appear dark (it isn't dark at all, white, with the faintest golden purple patina).

EDITED TO ADD: I'm applying this to intermediate level coins; super rarities are (e.g. 1804 Draped Bust Dollars, 1933 Double Eagles, etc.) tend to be graded very leniently.

.... and I agree with you! Had this been a key date Morgan, I might have guessed all the way down to MS-62.

Green label PCGS ...

It could be a 63+ or a 64. Either way the market value doesn't change enough to make a crack-out viable. With these coins MS-63 and 64 is almost a "low grade."

There will be no "cracking" or any other plastic shards. It's staying where it is. 1880-S mint state Morgans are a dime a dozen...I just liked the eye appeal of this one, and it will stick around with me for a while.