• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Morgan Might Challenge Your Grading Skills

17 posts in this topic

This is a new piece for my basic type set. I chose it for the Morgan slot because of its vivid colors (and its effect on me) and its mint origin.

Obviously grading is not a science and doing so from pics is even less so. Nonetheless, I'm curious whether you can peg accurately what grade PCGS assigned given these limitations. I think the luster is more evident in hand and there is a lot of slab scuffing on the reverse side as seen on the lower part of the eagle's breast. Other than that, these big pics reveal minor imperfections most emphatically that are less significant when viewed with a normal pair of eyes!

What do you think is the assigned grade?

8.jpg

9.jpg

This has gotta be a 66 if it has flash, the cheek on Miss Liberty is really clean, I'd go 67 obverse, 65 reverse, but a really solid 66 overall. So I am with halfpint on this one and Roger you are being way conservative here me thinks....

I will guess either 63 or 64 based on the lack of detail in the hair above the ear. Perhaps that was normal for the year but I don't know the series that well to be certain. It sure is pretty tho. ( insert wolf whistle here )

Just to go against the flow, I'll say a no grade, "artificial tone".

But I hope that is NOT the answer.

Looks nice to me.

Congrats to halfpint and Hard Times who correctly guessed from pics as to the PCGS assigned grade of MS66. This coin has recently received the CAC green bean.

I do believe there is some market grading influence on these decisions versus strict technical grading.

Thanks to all who participated in this exercise.

Mark Feld's pics:

dollar1882cc.jpg

I was going to say, strictly from those pictures, 65. But its impossible to gauge luster in those pics, and even less possible to gauge marks and scuffs under the toning in these pics.

The pics do however show the color very well, so congrats on that.

MS-66 (shrug)

The reverse, which is not toned, is not an MS-66. I wanted to say this ATS, but figured I'd get sacked. The coin would be an MS-64 on a good day. As it is, it's over graded period. The grading test should be administered to the TPG graders and CAC, not to us.

MS-66 (shrug)

The reverse, which is not toned, is not an MS-66. I wanted to say this ATS, but figured I'd get sacked. The coin would be an MS-64 on a good day. As it is, it's over graded period. The grading test should be administered to the TPG graders and CAC, not to us.

I owned the coin and grade it MS66. As did my client who owned it previously. As best I recall, there are some areas of toning that look like flaws in the images.