• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone got some info on those?

17 posts in this topic

if they are not genuine

then

one of the very precious few chinese fakes that have the word copy on them

if they are genuine original coins

then

someone stamped them with the word copy hm

if they are photo shopped ''copy"

then they could be real hm

if the color and surfaces are photo shopped

then

anything is possible (shrug)

short answer :shy:

so basically impossible to tell from the scans :devil:

show them to me sight seen and i can tell you tons more

also-------------- last but not least

and welcome to the boards (thumbs u

My guess would be gold-plated base metal.
Based on what, James? Thanks.
A guess.
I'd rather hear it from James. I will give him credit in advance for having a basis (other than just a guess) for his guess.

Gallery Museum only made copies of the early pre steam coinage coins and very few of the after 1800 coins. GMM never made anything like this. Also the GMM pieces were marked properly. I believe COPY is too small on these pieces to comply with the HPA. The HPA says that COPY has to be at least 6 mm long. On a 34 mm double eagle that would be more than one sixth the diameter. The word COPY on these pieces is smaller than that.

Those coins look quite authentic to me. Did someone think they were fake for some reason and then use a "COPY" punch to mark them or was "COPY" added by photo shop to the pics as some kind of prank?

This is a very strange first post for a new forum member. Perhaps he is an Alt I.D. playing a joke on us. I'd like to know where the pics came from and who actually has these coins. Until proven otherwise, I'm assuming this is some kind of joke.

Those coins look quite authentic to me. Did someone think they were fake for some reason and then use a "COPY" punch to mark them or was "COPY" added by photo shop to the pics as some kind of prank?
They looked good to me too, which was why my guess was that they were made of gold.

My guess would be gold-plated base metal.
Based on what, James? Thanks.
A guess.
I'd rather hear it from James. I will give him credit in advance for having a basis (other than just a guess) for his guess.

Sorry for the late response. It's just a guess based on having seen similar "replica" coins. In fact, back in the old days, I think I used to average a phone call a week on such pieces. People would call even when the "coin" stated "copy" on it!

The "copy" punch is too small to be legal, and the coins do look too good to be fake. If they are fakes maybe they are from the Lebanese counterfeiter’s mint. Some of those pieces looked pretty decent until you looked at them very closely.

Just an observation...the top 1894, the word COPY is almost touching the devices. I know the letters are raised to incuse the letters on the coin, but an edge on the face of the word stamp still must be maintained to hold the letter ...and I don't know how it got so close without mashing the device or allowing at least the letter C to be incused lighter than the rest of the letters.

Food for thought.