• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Colorful Coins

159 posts in this topic

003-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

The obverse of this 26-D is just as nice as any proof Buff I've seen, it's hammered and very lustrous. ANACS MS-64 little white holder The reverse is mush....Joe

Yeah, kind of like mine.

5c-26d_small.jpg

I'd say it was a MS65 obverse and MS MUSH on the reverse. In a 63 STAR holder.

jom

Say I was told that in another thread and I am trying to get some pictures although I am not skilled at it. Thanks.

Hey Jom, It looks like these two 26-D's were hatched from the same egg...lol

I remember a seller was trying to sell one 26-D Buff in a pcgs holder as a 26-S claiming pcgs made a mistake. He had this coin listed on e-bay asking stupid money for it. The forum got a kick out of it. Some sellers are nuts. Yep, it was stupid alright. If ya look at the mint marks on these two I guess a crook "might" be able to convince a rookie that these Buffs are 26-S's.

Say I was told that in another thread and I am trying to get some pictures although I am not skilled at it. Thanks.

I remember a seller, who I think is scum, was trying to sell one 26-D Buff in a pcgs holder as a 26-S claiming pcgs made a mistake. He had this coin listed on e-bay asking stupid money for it. The forum got a kick out of it. Some sellers are nuts. Yep, it was stupid alright. If ya look at the mint marks on these two I guess a crook "might" be able to convince a rookie that these Buffs are 26-S's. Yep, you guessed it, the seller was "NORTHERN NICKELS"......What a slim ball......Joe

Anyone would know that if the coin had a fairly nice Obv and an exceedingly poor reverse it would be a 26-D. The S mint normally (note the word "normally") has a more overall weakness to it on both sides....given they didn't make many to begin with...and you can usually see the mint mark. Not always but still...hopefully no one bought the coin as a 26-S from that seller.

Our coins do have a possibility of coming from the same reverse die...it seems to have the same problems in the same areas. Then again, I don't know much about this kind of thing so maybe that is something that is typical... ???? hm

jom

I remember a seller, who I think is scum, was trying to sell one 26-D Buff in a pcgs holder as a 26-S claiming pcgs made a mistake. He had this coin listed on e-bay asking stupid money for it. The forum got a kick out of it. Some sellers are nuts. Yep, it was stupid alright. If ya look at the mint marks on these two I guess a crook "might" be able to convince a rookie that these Buffs are 26-S's. Yep, you guessed it, the seller was "NORTHERN NICKELS"......What a slim ball......Joe

Anyone would know that if the coin had a fairly nice Obv and an exceedingly poor reverse it would be a 26-D. The S mint normally (note the word "normally") has a more overall weakness to it on both sides....given they didn't make many to begin with...and you can usually see the mint mark. Not always but still...hopefully no one bought the coin as a 26-S from that seller.

Our coins do have a possibility of coming from the same reverse die...it seems to have the same problems in the same areas. Then again, I don't know much about this kind of thing so maybe that is something that is typical... ???? hm

jom

They look like twins just different color, it's amazing how close they are...

My most colorful coin.

1024-x-819.jpg

Holy smoke!! That's a 62? It's the prettiest 62 I've evr seen. Great color and eye appeal with this one Gunny ^^...If ya ever get tired of it give me a jingle....Joe

Hi-

I shot some more pics of a couple of these Morgans and if these are more useful than the scans. I can take more but thought I would see what people think before spending the time- I am camera challenged I am afraid.

1903 O

1893O-1.jpg

03rev.jpg

1886 O

86O.jpg

86Ob.jpg

1886 O - Second set of pics

86Oa.jpg

86Orev2.jpg

Thanks again and interested in all comments from a very learned crew on this board!

I'd would be very interested in all comments- good, bad or indifferent about these Morgans

1896 O

1896O.jpg

1896Orev.jpg

--------------------------------------------

1884 O

1884O.jpg

1884 O Rev

1884ORev.jpg

--------------------------------------------

1895 O- Different shots both sides:

013.jpg

052.jpg

054-2.jpg

1895 O reverse

056.jpg

057.jpg

062.jpg

Sorry about the photo quality but I'm trying to learn- hard to capture the color.

I don't think that I have posted this in this thread before, so at the advice of another forum member:

18074386_m.jpg

HOLY MOLY!! That is with out question the prettiest 3 cent silver I've ever seen.

Makes me wannt o go out and find me one. Superb.....Joe

Hi- if you have followed my saga I am trying now to improve my photo skills- Here is one I haven't posted- still learning- A little battle worn but great color- trying to capture it is a challenge:

Morgan Silver Dollar- 1879 O

1879OMorgan.jpg

17s019.jpg

Hi- if you have followed my saga I am trying now to improve my photo skills- Here is one I haven't posted- still learning- A little battle worn but great color- trying to capture it is a challenge:

Morgan Silver Dollar- 1879 O

1879OMorgan.jpg

17s019.jpg

It seems to me you have a color temp problem. What kind of lighting are you using?

jom

I know what you mean- I have a halogen bulb 75 Watts is my primary light- I'm wondering if I had the flash own for those inadvertently- I will try an other shot when I can and see. I really think I need a better camera- I read if you can adjust the white then you can't get good coin pics- I can't adjust the white. Thanks so much for taking and interest. Maybe if I can photo a toned coin a day I can get some continuing hints. I have a lot of toned coins- there's some good ones but when you see the ones some of you folks have boy that's good competition. Thanks for taking an interest.