• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The First Goodacre Presentation Dollar

6 posts in this topic

...graded by NGC.

As past readers of my journal will know, I’m working on completing the 100 Greatest U.S. Modern Coins set. I recently bought a Goodacre Presentation Sacagawea dollar in its original ICG holder, #2,358 of 5,000 and sent it off to NGC for grading. NGC had not previously graded this variety before the publishing of the book.

My Goodacre Presentation dollar received a grade of MS 68 DPL. Cool!

NGC confirmed for me that this was the very first Goodacre Presentation dollar they have ever graded, which is a neat little tidbit of information for this coin’s history. In fact, co-author of the 100 Greatest U.S. Modern Coins book, Scott Schechter (vice president at NGC), wrote me personally and said:

“I did see it when it was at NGC. It was a nice example and very deep prooflike.”

Again... cool!

I’m currently only 18 coins into the 100 Greatest set, but I’m having a lot of fun hunting them down and learning the history of each piece as I go. The gold coins will probably have to wait until after spot prices pull back a little, the 2009 UHR has gone up over $300 in price on some dealer’s websites in just the last month. Ouch. But the silver and clad pieces on the list seem to be holding steady.

I don’t have it in hand yet, it’s still making its way home from Florida. But here’s NGC’s scan: http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/CertResults.aspx?CertNumber=2560958-001

Anyway, just wanted to share the above info with everyone. Happy collecting!

[for some reason my journals don't post to the forums, so I manually post the ones I think might interest more than just my few followers on the registry]