• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spanish/Sicilian hammered gold coin

2 posts in this topic

I recently dug my first gold coin with a metal detector. Although it was found in England, I believe it to be Spanish. It is a hammered gold coin a bit smaller than a quarter, with a cross in a quatrefoil on one side and crowned arms on the other. I don't have a digital picture of it (yet). It does say "Reges Sicilie" on one side and, I believe, "IOANA ET" on the other. I did find out that Spain controlled Siciy through family connections, off and one, in the Middle Ages. It may be a 1 escudo piece from Charles I and Johanna (1516-1556). Some of the other letters are partial because the coin was lightly clipped. I've been unable to find out anything on the Internet. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

Welcome. I am new here too, but I sure do like it here.

Congrats on your find!! That is really super. I have done some work attributing some ancient coins I have bought and cleaned and this site might help you:

web page

I bet if you are able to get a picture of it on this thread people might be able to help you out.

-John