• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Even cheap coins need love

9 posts in this topic

So I bought some inexpensive coins off eBay that have virtually no value in collecting, but to me hold sentimental value as they are from places I have travelled in the military.

The coins purchased are uncirculated but the guy taped them to some cardboard for shipping. Wow was I disappointed...I know they are virtually worthless, but I want even my worthless coins to be of high quality. I am waiting for his response to see if he can replace them or if I just need to do a return...postage will cost about the value of the coins.

Acetone?

MM

Is acetone safe on all metals, I have never used it before so not familiar...but certainly worth a try.

Acetone is safe on all copper, nickel, iron, steel, silver, gold, or alloys of these.

Absolutely do not under any circumstance use acetone on aluminum coins. They will develop an unpleasant spottiness and will pretty much ruin them. That's pretty much the only restriction on acetone.

Acetone, Lighter Fluid, Goo Gone.......

I've never had trouble with these...

Paul

That's because you don't like throwing your coins in the fireplace...umm didn't just say that :makepoint: