• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

REVISED - 1811 BRITISH 2 PENCE TOKEN - NGC - FOR SALE!!!!!

9 posts in this topic

REVISED 8/4/2011

The following information is from my website on a really neat British token that I have for sale.

FOR SALE

1811 Great Britain 2 Pence (2d) Token

Bradley, Bilston, & Priestfield Collieries & Iron Works

S. Fereday, Bilston (Staffordshire)

Withers 42, Davis 28

For sale is an 1811 Great Britain 2 Pence (2d) Token issued by S. Fereday for the

Bradley, Bilston, & Priestfield Collieries & Iron Works in Bilston, Staffordshire. It is in a

NGC holder graded MS63 Brown Proof-Like. This token is from a dealer right here in

Illinois who got it "across the counter" and had no idea what it is. He had me send it in

to NGC for grading and received the grade of MS63 Brown Proof-Like.

A brief history of this coin - it was issued at a time in Great Britain where there was a

shortage of coins, and private businesses would issue tokens to be used for payment.

The tokens were the same size as the coins that were made by the Royal Mint and

could be redeemed at the place of issue for the said amount on the token.

PAST AUCTION RESULTS FOR THIS TOKEN

Baldwin's, a reputable auction house in Great Britain, had two of these coins in Auction

61 on May 26, 2009. The coins in question were Lot #448 and #449. Lot #448 was

graded as (by British standards) a toned, good very fine, while Lot #449 was graded as

a toned, nearly extremely fine, die cud on rim. Lot #448 realized 380 Pounds ($619),

while Lot #449 realized 480 Pounds ($782).

On January 11, 2010, Stacks had one of these tokens that was from the Vermeule,

Ward, and Mexico Maxico Collections up for auction. This token was graded as an

about uncirculated. This token realized $575 (including buyer's premium).

If you like old British tokens, then this token is for you. The price of this token is

$900.00 OR BEST OFFER

U.S. Customers - I accept check, USPS postal money order, and PayPal. If paying by

check, please allow 3-5 business days to clear. Doran Coins accepts credit cards only

through PayPal.

Overseas customers - I accept only PayPal for this item.

Final shipping costs will be figured at the time of purchase. While strongly suggested,

insurance is available upon request.

There is a 7 day return privilege on this token, which takes effect upon receipt and

e-mail.

If you have any questions about the token or wish to purchase it, please send either a pm or an e-mail - sales@dorancoins.com.

U.S. customers may also reach Doran Coins at (217) 663-0276.

1811_uk_bilston_2d_obv.JPG1811_uk_bilston_2d_rev.JPG

That is one cool token. Good luck

I think its a neat token, and the fact that a few of these have been up for auction in the last 2 years (Baldwins in the UK and Stacks (just before the merger with Bowers) here in the US.) Those examples are not as fine as this piece, as I mentioned in the first posting. The fact that this token was bought at a local coin shop in Illinois says something. It was I who sent it in to be slabbed for the original owner, and now, it is up for sale. I just lowered the price yesterday and if it is not sold before the ANA in Chicago, then it will be with me when I go on Wednesday the 17th.