• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here are the pics of the 1990-D MS-67 5FS nickel

25 posts in this topic

Some of you asked for pictures, well here they are:

Obverse

Reverse

Since I don't really collect slabbed Jeffersons, or moderns for that matter, I am trying to figure out what to do with this coin. Should I sell it? If I decide to sell it, where should I sell it? Any suggestions appreciated.

Jeff, if you REALLY don't want it, why did you buy it? As for getting rid of it, I'd like to know who slabbed it and how much you would want for it. smile.gif

email me (my PMer isn't very reliable lately).

David

OK! I'll start the bidding at $50! Although I'm certain this coin will fetch a higher price, the bidding needs to start some place. I will go higher so bid away FS collectors.

P. S. Is this appropriate to run an auction in this forum? Better yet, is the coin for sale? 27_laughing.gif

Leo

Ok, to answer the questions so far, Spy, I didn't buy it, I saved the coin for 14 years and just had it certified by NGC. I thought it had pretty nice toning, so I thought it might get a star or something, but I guess this is just as good, since it's the highest graded example NGC has graded of this date. So, long answer to a short question, I have a grand total of $9.95 invested in this coin, but if it's worth something more to someone else why shouldn't I just sell it and use the money for something else? As I said, I don't have a certified Jefferson set (though I do have another nickel almost as nice that is now in my Dansco album), so this coin will just sit and collect dust and not be fully appreciated if I own it. So to answer Leo's question, I guess it is for sale. My question is where do I sell it where I would maximize the price realized? Where do modern collectors buy their coins, eBay? One of the auction houses? And Leo, thanks for the Bid, but I suppose this isn't the forum for such an auction. Maybe I should put it in the marketplace forum, but right now, I am more interested in deciding the details of selling it (the what, where, when questions). I am in the midst of moving, so I probably won't do anything with it until I get settled in my new place.

Jeff: Did you have this coin in a Dansco for a long time? Just curious as I've had a number of copper/nickel coin sets going for about 12 years now in Danscos and was wondering if yours toned in the holder.

My Kennedy set has gone crazy but my Ike set doesn't do a damn thing. In the Kennedy set only the C/N coins tone...the early silver coins don't tone at all.

My regular Washington set hasn't done much either but one of my State Quarter sets is starting that brown tone around the rim, at least for the first years (99 and 00). That is how it starts in these Danscos....soon it will start to "blue" in the center... grin.gif

jom

Actually, this one toned in an envelope as it's never been in the Dansco. I recently discovered this one along with it's brothers when I was back home. I do have other Jeffersons in the Dansco that have been in it for close to 20 years with some outrageous toning, but the newer coins don't seem to do much at all.

I should have known. This particular coins doesn't look like a Dansco.

Dansco seems to be having an effect throughout the market. Like I said above mine have never toned but I've just recently seen a number of toned Ike's that were definately Dansco toned on Ebay. I think Russ (over at PCGS) showed a few Kennedys recently also.

You should be patient with your newer nickels. It could take more time. On the other hand, like I said earlier, my State Quarters are starting to "take off" with toning and they are only 5 years old at most....

I also didn't know Dansco holders have been around 20 years either. I thought they were fairly new items in the early 90s 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom

Well the Jefferson album was the first Dansco Album I bought, and I want to say that was in say 1986 or 87, so close to 20 years, though I've had the nickels longer than the album. I am not altogether sure what causes the toning, or whether the albums deserve as much credit as they get.

I think you would do well with that coin anywhere you auctioned it off. I couldn't find records of any trading hands. I did see that a PCGS MS 66 FS sold on TeleTrade in Feb of 2003 for over a grand! You could buy a lot of other coins for that kind of dough. Please make sure to let me know when it goes to auction and I will bid well over $50 on it smile.gif

Here's a coin that's resideed in a Dansco album for 5-6 years, mayby longer! It's been a year since this picture, I'm wondering how it looks now?

Image Hosting by Vendio

Click to view supersized image

Smart Services for Smart Sellers

Reliable image hosting provided by Vendio. Unlimited images for $12.95.

jtryka, perhaps a trade! And the answer is no if your thinking about my 1799 girl. 27_laughing.gifLeo

Some of you asked for pictures, well here they are:

Obverse

Reverse

Since I don't really collect slabbed Jeffersons, or moderns for that matter, I am trying to figure out what to do with this coin. Should I sell it? If I decide to sell it, where should I sell it? Any suggestions appreciated.

OK, it's time to get critical of the coin because I'm such a picky FS Jefferson collector. 27_laughing.gif Overall the coin must have a stunning look to it to receive the MS67 grade. It's obvious the toning and luster carried the lofty grade as there are a few minor nicks in the main focal area of the cheek. The strike looks weak along the hair above the ear but of course, this is what can be seen from the picture only. It might be a bad angle of the camera. The strike and detail of the Jefferson nickel is so misunderstood by Jefferson collectors and the TGCs. And it's not a 6 stepper

for this later date coin. It's very important to remember that nicks can appear anywhere on a coin but it's the location of these marks that should differentiate the upper levels of grade. Good luck with the sale of this coin.

Leo

Well Leo, I have to defer to your expertise on the intricacies of the series, since I don't know diddly. I will say that the luster on the coin is spectacular, and the toning only accentuates the luster. In person, this is a really gorgeous coin. As for the marks, I went over this coin with a 10x loupe, and I was honestly surprised by the number of marks on the coin, not only on the jaw (there are actually none on the check itself, but on the lower edge of the jaw), a couple on the collar and a couple on the field below cents. That said, these marks look horific under 10x, as well as the enlarged photos, but in person, most of these marks are not visible to the naked eye. Was it overgraded? Maybe, but I can't say since I can't tell a 65 from a 63 or a 67 in this series. I did compare it to the only other 67 I have in the series, and that is a 45-S, and the number of marks visible under magnification is comparable (my 45-S has fewer jaw marks and more collar marks). As for the steps, it's only got 5, as the center 40% of the bottom step isn't there, but it does have a solid 5 steps. As for the fate of this coin, I will probably just put it on eBay, or maybe I'll just keep it.

Ok, I've decided to sell the nickel and one of the MS-67 halves on eBay. I will post a link in the marketplace forum, it will have no reserve and it will start on Sunday, 5/9 and last 7 days.

OH yeah! Well I-90 is way out oy MY way! 27_laughing.gif Thanks for the heads up! i look fo it.

Leo

I just may go to the CSNS if that will make anybody feel better!

The coin should have graded MS-63 5FS with some nice toning MS-64 5FS tops. To many nicks borth obverse and reverse.

You may be correct if your a picky collector like I am! 27_laughing.gif I say this because a coin without the nicks and marks but with a strong strike is a very difficult coin to find. The demand is out there from a great many inexperienced new collectors for high number slabs so the grading and cerification of coins has become weak for many series including the FS Jefferson nickel series. I've bought a dozon or so coins these last few weeks and most have gone back. I'll get excited every now and then and post a coin that I just bought but when it finally reaches my hand, it's usually doesn't turnout the way I thought it would be. So folks! If I don't follow up one of my posts, now you know why.

Another thing to keep in mind, a coin can look very different, for better or worse, once it's in hand.

And I didn't say that! 27_laughing.gif

Leo

Leo, couldn't resist pulling out my 90-D for comparison to Jeffs. This is a 6 stepper too. What do you think?

474707-90%20001.jpg474710-90%20002.jpg

David

Mind if I give my opinion David? That coin of yours is an abomination. flamed.gif Please send it to me so that I can properly dispose of it. sumo.gif

Hoot

Nope! You gotta come and get it! You know where I live! grin.gif

And in the meantime, what would YOU grade my " abomination "? blush.gif

Very nice David! Just what I need in the morning, something out there telling me I'm still inferior to others FS Jefferson collectors! 27_laughing.gif

Leo

Nope! You gotta come and get it! You know where I live! grin.gif

And in the meantime, what would YOU grade my " abomination "? blush.gif

I don't think I could grade a potential superb gem from a picture! blush.gif Really GREAT looking coin, David.

Mark

Hey, can I get in on the fun? Here’s my ‘90d. grin.gif

John

I'm beginning to feel like Leo... makepoint.gif

Hoot

Can I play? Check out my 1990-D! laugh.gif

It's missing the designers initials.... now if only I could find one with FS!

No fair! tonofbricks.gif