• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2001 Proof Dime - Strange Grade - CAMEO or ULTRA CAMEO?

40 posts in this topic

I'm stunned that they would grade a modern at 70Cameo. It just feels like a 70 has to have UC or it's not a 70...I'm unaware of other non-UC 70's.

I'm stunned that they would grade a modern at 70Cameo. It just feels like a 70 has to have UC or it's not a 70...I'm unaware of other non-UC 70's.

There is lots of coins graded PF70 Cameo and PF70 by both NGC and PCGS.

Good to know, personally I don't think I'd ever buy a non UC 70 though.

I think the cameo designation is borderline, and I would probably have put this in a PF70 star holder without a cameo designation. It's definitely not an ultra/deep cameo piece.

I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a "PF70 Star" holder. I thought the Star Designation was restricted to coins grading MS69 or PF69 and lower. At least that's the definition I always saw. Can someone confirm this or provide a counter-example (a coin graded PF70* for example).

PF69 and MS69 is the limit for * coins.

Read again

star_lg.jpg

1879-SStar.jpg

Please produce a picture of a PF70 PCGS coin which is NOT a DCAM.

I don't believe I've ever seen a non-DCAM PR70 graded by PCGS, but a search on eBay produced the following which is the first I've ever seen:

PR70RD.jpg

PF69 and MS69 is the limit for * coins.

Read again

I did and it says no MS70 or PF70 can get the star (see below). So like I already said PF69 and MS69 is the limit.

As they are already of the ultimate grade, any coin graded MS 70 or PF 70 will not be eligible for the .

Please produce a picture of a PF70 PCGS coin which is NOT a DCAM.

Here you go and just in case you were wondering here is also the population for the 70's.

1960 4/0

1961 41/0

1962 40/0

1963 13/0

1964 81/0

1960.jpg

1961.jpg

1962.jpg

1963.jpg

1964.jpg

It is considered cameo.. I was lucky enough to get a 2000 kennedy Proof 70 W ultra cameo for 60.00 back then in the year 2000. It is put away and wont be seen for many of years. The W and T coin designations are hardly ever seen.

The W and T coin designations are hardly ever seen.

I don't know that I would say "hardly ever seen". The W and T designations were assigned from the beginning of 2000 until August 1, 2002. I have several coins with the "W" designation, and a quarter with the "T" designation. Based on what I have seen the "T" designation is rightfully so quite scarce. BUT, the "W" designation was if anything a bit overused during this time-frame. I have a couple quarters with the "W" designation from year 2001, and now they are anything but "white". Anything dated 2001 and slabbed in 2001 will be white, right? ;)

On another note, here is a side by side comparison of my PF70Cam "W" dime and my PF70UC 2001-S Clad dimes. When you see them side-by-side, the lack of full ultra cameo is quite clear on the cameo dime.

EDIT (added later): The lighting, exposure, distance, etc. were all identical for the photos between the two. The only differences in the two photographed coins are the differences in the age of the plastic and obviously their grades.

114117.jpg.f48ef79726f662412ccfeef61b551bef.jpg

Good to know, personally I don't think I'd ever buy a non UC 70 though.

If you read the entire thread, you will see the coin was purchased for a SLAB VARIETY set. I already have a PF70UC coin for my proof dime collection. As a Slab variety this is a nice piece to find. As described by Conder101, it is the NGC 8.1 variety. I bought it because of the curious grade in combination with the slab variety type.